Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Post How to Install Minimal BD-J SDK for PS3

Sponsored Links
    Minimal BD-J (Java) Devkit for PS3

Okay, FreePlay's been busy putting together a minimal SKD for BD-J development, and he's generously shared it to the rest of the young PS3 homebrew community.

What this release brings you is basically everything you'll need to get started, save for a couple of things:

1. a working installation of JDK, the Java Development Kit (get that from java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp - currently, the latest version is JDK 6 Update 7)

2. a copy of bdj.jar, the BD-J API. I can't provide this, since you need a license to use it; however, if you have a PC program capable of making or playing Blu-Ray discs - like Nero or PowerDVD - you can get this file from there. (In Nero 8, the file is located in C:program FilesCommon FilesNeroNeroBLCBDJjl ib.)

There's also an included sample Hello World application as well as silenoz's RSS reader and a build.bat file for building, packing and signing the programs. He says that the batch script is pretty universal, that is unless you need to add in other JAR files for your compilation.

While this brew is looking pretty good, there have been found some pretty strict limitations on the PS3's implementation of the BD-J:
    • You cannot read or write local files.
    • You cannot list the contents of a directory.

Well, it could be that it just didn't work for him when he tried it, but that's why you'll have to give your feedback when you try this yourself. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Oh, and do take note that for this to work properly, you MUST copy it to the root of your C: drive - that is, to C:bdj-ps3. DO NOT rename the folder.

There are more instructions and details to be learned, so make sure you do read and understand the readme as soon as you download the file, and before you try it out. Thanks, FreePlay!

How to Install Minimal BD-J SDK for PS3

Ok guys there has been some people having trouble installing / using the BD-J SDK so I decided to write a tutorial on how to use it!
    • Step 1: Make sure you have installed the JDK 6 Update 7. It can be downloaded here: ([Register or Login to view links]) The one I use can be download here: ([Register or Login to view links]) It's the same thing, but it has Java 5 EE SDK. Just follow the on screen instructions on how to install this.

• Step 2: After you have installed the JDK you need to download the Minimal BD-J SDK for PS3 (bdjps3.zip). After you have downloaded it you need to extract its contents to the root of your c drive. (IE C:\bdj-ps3\) In the bdj-ps3 folder there should be 4 folder in there with the folling names: common, docs, disk files, and examples.

• Step 3: After all of step 2 is done you need to uptain a copy of bdj.jar. This can be found in versions of Nero, PowerDVD or other software of that nature that can handle Blu-ray Disks. You can also do a Google search for it. After you have gotten bdj.jar you need to place it in the common folder. (IE C:\bdj-ps3\common\bdj.jar)

• Step 4: After all that is done you are ready to compile your first program! To make sure that you did everything correct you should copile the hello world program. The hello world program is found in C:\bdj-ps3\examples. Open the folder that says Hello world. In that folder there should be a file called build.bat. Right click on the bat file and select edit. Now it should open in notepad.

On the last line of the file add the PAUSE. Now your file should look something like this:

[Register or Login to view code]

After that is done save the file and run the bat file. If all goes well your file will compile. If you get an output like this:

You're going to have to tell the bat where to find the java exe files. First you need to find out where your java exe are. One place they may be is here: C:\Sun\SDK\jdk\bin.

If so right click on that bat file in the hello world folder again and choose edit. Right under the line that says @echo off add this text: path=c:\windows;c:\windows\system32\;c:\sun\sdk\jd k\bin.

If it is not there go and look for it.

Once you have found it add that text that I said to if it was in C:\Sun\SDK\jdk\bin but instead of having it say... system32;c:sun\sdk\.... replace everything after the semicolon ( ; ) with the path of the java exe in it. Save the bat file and run it now it should compile.

Finally, from the included ReadMe file: BD-J for PS3 minimal devkit by FreePlay

NOTE: For this to work properly, you *MUST* copy it to the root of your C: drive - that is, to C:\bdj-ps3. DO NOT rename the folder. Included is everything you'll need to get started except for:

Included is everything you'll need to get started except for:

1. a working installation of JDK, the Java Development Kit (get that from [Register or Login to view links] - currently, the latest version is JDK 6 Update 7)
    2. a copy of bdj.jar, the BD-J API. I can't provide this, since you need a license to use it; however, if you have a PC program capable of making or playing Blu-Ray discs - like Nero or PowerDVD - you can get this file from there. (In Nero 8, the file is located in C:\program Files\Common Files\Nero\NeroBLC\BDJ\jlib .)

I don't have any real documentation on BD-J, though I'm sure you can find some on the HDCookBook website. In the 'docs' folder is some basic info on BD-J on a very high level.

So far as I can tell, there are some pretty strict limitations on the PS3's implementation of BD-J:

1. You cannot read or write local files.
    2. You cannot list the contents of a directory.

I may be wrong, so feel free to correct me, but I ran a few tests and couldn't do those things.

I've also included a sample Hello World application and silenoz's RSS reader, as well as a build.bat file for building, packing, and signing the programs. This batch script is pretty much universal, unless you need to add in other JAR files for your compilation.

Source files for each project should go in a folder called root\org\homebrew. For example, if you make a project called "Test App", in your "Test App" folder you'll place the universal build.bat , then make a root\org\homebrew folder and place your .java files in there. The 'root' folder will become the root of your JAR file; any files you place in that structure will become part of the JAR.

The 'disc files' folder contains the file structure for what you'll copy to your storage device. Once you've built your 00000.jar file, copy it to 'AVCHD\BDMV\JAR\' and you'll be ready to test it.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

1.jpg  

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    great guide, Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Really why can't he put bdj.jar in there?

To save people hours of searching ([Register or Login to view links]) there's the BDJ.jar.
    Last edited by Foo; 06-20-2012 at 05:53 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News