Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Post How to Format PS3 HDDs to FAT32 via USB to SATA Enclosure

Sponsored Links
    For those that want to know how to format an unmountable encrypted PS3 hard drive via a USB to SATA enclosure using Linux:

1. Hook up the enclosure to your computer via USB.

2. Open a terminal and type:

[Register or Login to view code]

(should return external drive info)

3. Then type:

(should return the location of the external drive, which in my case was /dev/sdb)

4. Then format the (unmounted!) external drive by typing

(note: your location will vary)

5. After formatting is complete, unplug and plug in the USB enclosure. Linux, XP, OSX, etc should now be able to detect it as a FAT32 formated hard drive!

Sponsored Links

Question ....

Sponsored Links
    Willl this erase the data though?

Thing is... Hard disk died and i'm trying to rescue the data off it so i can then format it but because it's encrypted I can't read it. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    An easier option IMO is to just connect it to your PS3, then go into the system options and choose Format and pick the USB drive from the list. The PS3 will format it using FAT32 and you're guaranteed the structure is exactly what the PS3 is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheartofg View Post
    Willl this erase the data though?

Thing is... Hard disk died and i'm trying to rescue the data off it so i can then format it but because it's encrypted I can't read it. Any suggestions?
    Formatting always results in a loss of data. The drive appears fully erased, although technically unless you zero out every byte on the drive the data is still there.

If you're talking about the internal PS3 harddisk, then you're SOL because nobody knows how to break the encryption on it yet. And if it is truly dead, then I don't see how you're going to get any data off it anyway. You'd have to give more details about your situation if you want a more detailed answer.

Oh and BTW, the PS3's internal harddisk doesn't use FAT32.
    Last edited by Transient; 09-09-2008 at 08:18 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

great tutorial, thanks!

Thanks for the tutorial.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News