Be sure to backup your settings/games saves by doing a System > Backup on your PS3 or you may lose your game saves! Also, this is a last resort procedure prior to exchanging/returning to Sony.
1. Power Off the PS3 via the power switch in back and power back on w/switch.
2. Hold Power Button on the Front until you hear 3 beeps.
3. Then go through the initial setup and then run a full Format via System > Format. (will take approx 3 1/1 hours). You may need to have our AV cables ready if your using HDMI (in case HDMI isn't detected after initial reset).
4. Restore your back-up you made prior to doing factory/hard reset (optional, if you created a back-up).
Hopefully this will solve your freezing problems.
Problems/symptons that this appears to have resolved:
- Freezing when doing anything
- No harddrive activity
- Freezing when trying to use onboard keyboard or bringing up keyboard
- Game/movie disc freezes system