Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Post How to Convert .MKV Files without Quality Loss for PS3

Sponsored Links
    Requirements:

- tsMuxeR ([Register or Login to view links] or [Register or Login to view links] for latest)

The conversion process using tsMuxeR is a very simple one. It consists of adjusting a few settings, which you can see highlighted in the screenshot on the right.

The video or audio content is not actually converted at all. All tsMuxeR does is that it extracts (demuxes) the video and audio from the Matroska .MKV file and wraps them (muxes) to a .ts transport stream format. The video or audio remain untouched, so the quality is not impacted and the process is very fast.

Perform the following steps:

- Open a .MKV file with AVC/AC3 content using the Add button
    - Observe the track info for AVC profile information. If it shows a value higher than 4.1, then use the Change level function to adjust it down to 4.1
    - Choose TS muxing as Output
    - Click browse button and choose the name and location for your file
    - Click Start muxing to begin

After a few minutes you should have files named filename.ts. Now all you need to do is to burn the .TS file on a DVD-R(W), or transfer via RedKawa to your PS3.

I converted and played around 10 .mkv movies without any problem thus far. FYI I'm using Nero Burning ROM to write the files. DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) compilation with UDF 2.01 File system version.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks. Can't wait to try. Just what I was looking for.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Why not just stream it straight to the ps3 via TVersity?

This guide is good, however it's worth pointing out another utility which also does an excellent job (it never hurts to have too many ). I use mkv2vob which is usually able to automatically detect when a file need to be reencoded in order to play on the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    This guide is good, however it's worth pointing out another utility which also does an excellent job (it never hurts to have too many ). I use mkv2vob which is usually able to automatically detect when a file need to be reencoded in order to play on the PS3.
    Good point. I've actually have both ready to test. Just waiting for my PS3 to be delivered. As for streaming. I am going to look into that but I wonder what the quality is like. Doesn't TVersity sort of encode the files when streaming. I'm still reading but for 1080p bandwidth and quality are my concerns. But I'm anxious to try all. Certainly streaming would be the best since I don't have to convert the files.

Quote Originally Posted by enkrypt3d View Post
    Why not just stream it straight to the ps3 via TVersity?
    I tried on TVersity but it crashed for some reason.

Tversity doesnt always work for certain file types/codecs. I've had problems streaming 1080p stuff from my PC to my PS3. Giving this TsMuxer a go now, will see what its like...

ps3mediaserver can use tsMuxer to transcode the videos.

some things to add before asking questions - the better way to produce a file using tsMuxer is to convert it to M2TS format, and you can leave the AVC profile in 5.1, latest firmware supports 5.1 now

i figure i would come here with a PS3 video problem, as other sites just aren't answering my simple question - why does tsMuxer work flawlessly on some MKV files and produces files with sound, but no video for others? the only answer i've been able to come up with is "maybe the video wasn't produced in a format that could be converted to a M2TS file using tsMuxer - try encoding it first using mkv2vob, then use tsMuxer" which eliminates the actual need for tsMuxer in the first place! mkv2vob takes forever and a day to encode those MKV's that don't want to play correctly after being wrapped in the M2TS container.... when trying to get this process to work for whole, feature length movies, taking over 12 hours to do for some people with slower computers isn't an option!

i just don't understand why tsMuxer doesn't work ALL the time for ALL MKV files.... i've made two 100% flawless AVCHD "Mini-Ray" DVD5's using tsMuxer and they play the two movies in their stunning 1080p quality, no problem whatsoever.... getting some of the other files just to convert to M2TS to stream to the PS3 using media servers that don't rely on my computer to transcode video on the fly is impossible as the video comes through with NO VIDEO, only sound! i'm not jumping through hoops to get 15 different programs running and encoding video a bunch of times in different formats just to get tsMuxer to want to process the MKV file it should have processed correctly in the first place!!!!!!

HI,

For my part, I use both TsMux and mkv2VOB.

Rgds,

Jts

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News