Guide: Swapping PS3 CFW, MFW and OFW Firmware Without USB
Below is a guide courtesy of Shaitan (via psx-scene.com/forums/content/tutorial-1888/) on swapping PS3 CFW, MFW and OFW Firmware without a USB device to install the PlayStation 3 Firmware you prefer.
To quote: I'm always looking for ways to make my PS3 experience easier so this was awesome. It's nothing special but I'm constantly needing to change firmwares like many of you so I thought I'd share it.
To do this it's best to use QA Flag Extra since most firmwares can not enable "System Update Debug".
1. Enable [Register or Login to view links] and go to the debug settings and enable "System Update Debug"
2. Use Multiman's file manager (or other) and create a folder in /dev_hdd0 called "updater", so it's /dev_hdd0/updater/
3. Create folders in that directory for the firmwares called 01, 02, 03, ect. (Don't miss a number or it will error).
4. Copy whichever PS3UPDAT.PUP into one of those folders and........
5. Rename it to whatever you want, you dont even need the .PUP at the end.
6. Go to System Update then Update via Hard Disk and it should look something like this:
Nice tutorial mate, although its nothing new it was something i found out in the first 30 min of playing around with the QA in day 1 of the qa extra and experimental etc. Don't get me wrong its nice to gather the info in one post. Also in the proper QA irc we had talked about several experiments with the debug update on (eg downgrade through recovery not service mode etc). Well done again mate on writing this tut.
Yup. Been doing this since the rtlease of qa flag extra. I've got every single fw in the updater folder from 1.10. However, Id like to add that there are certain situations where you can't use this method and have to do it through the rec menu, like downgrading most of the time.
But it's useful also for upgrades don't forget. Seeing that the qa token is set even after downgrading, you can use it to upgrade as well.