Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Guide to Dumping, Burning and Playing PS1 Backups on PS3

Sponsored Links
    Guide to Dumping, Burning and Playing PS1 Backups on PS3 courtesy of:
    rootedsystem.com/2011/10/complete-guide-to-dumping-burning-playing-ps1-backups-on-ps3/

Recently PlayStation 1 (PSX / PSOne) Games were reported to be working on PS3 3.55 CFW along with a Using PSX Eboots (to Save CD's) Guide via multiMAN PS3 Backup Manager. Below is a guide for those interested in giving them a try!

PC Requirements
    • CD-Burner with speeds of 2-8X
    • CloneCD (To dump psx games to your computer)
    • Alcohol 120% (To burn games to cd)
    • Blank CD-R disc

PS3 Requirements
    • Latest Multiman (You can update by going to the update option inside multiman located at the far left)
    • CFW 3.55

How to Dump a PSX game

First pop in your favorite ps1 game and download and install CloneCD, launch the program and select “Read to Image” which is the first button.

Now select your cd drive and choose “Game CD” but don’t click next yet.

Right click on game cd and choose edit. select 2x for the speed (or the lowest yours can go) you can leave the rest default.

Now select next and check “Cue-sheet” then select ok.

Your game should now be dumping.

How to Burn a PSX game

Download and install Alcohol 120% ([Register or Login to view links]), launch it and right click on the window and select “Add Image”

Now browse to your dumped game and select the .CUE file

Right click on the name and select “image burning wizard”

Select the following: the slowest speed in my case 8X, In datatype select “PlayStation”, Write method “RAW DAO”, leave rest default and click start.

Playing PSX Backups on PS3

Once you have installed the latest multiman simply insert your backup and it should show up in multiman

Select it and you should see the ps1 logo and your game starting

Also below are two guide variants on PS1/PS2 Virtual Memory Card Extraction and Managing PSOne Virtual Memory Cards for the Sony PlayStation 3 from VriskaBlack and gDrive as follows:

PS1/PS2 Virtual Memory Card Extraction by VriskaBlack: psx-scene.com/forums/f118/ps1-93529/#post894771

Okay, I've worked out how to extract and edit PS1 Virtual Memory Cards. I have only tested this with PS1, though I'm sure it'll work the same with PS2.

Requirements

Tutorial
    • Begin by firing up the File manager and navigating to DevHDD01/Savedata/vmc and transferring the "Internal Memory Card.vm1" file.
    • This file will be hidden, so you will need to remember the name of the file and where you save it. (Both the Savedata folder and the vm1 file are hidden, and as far as I tell can't be accessed though Windows Explorer without the complete path, even with hidden folders enabled)
    • Open MemcardRex and click File --> Open, directing it to the location of the vm1 file.
    • From here, you can either resave the file, modify it or convert it to a different format.
    • To add files to it from a different memory card, simply click the "Memory Card 2" tab and then open another memory card. Once open, right click on the save and click "Copy save to temp buffer". Then you must go into the first memory card again, right click and then click "Paste from temporary buffer".

Warning: Ensure that save files do not overlap, for example if you are copying a Final Fantasy VII save that is in the first slot, save it to a different slot before copying or risk losing data!

• To copy the data back to the PS3, simply transfer the file back the same way you did when copying it across. In Comagenies file manager it will be visible.

Managing PSOne Virtual Memory Cards for the Sony PlayStation 3 by gDrive: ps3crunch.net/forum/threads/1169-TUTORIAL-3?p=10365#post10365

Hiya folks! Seeing as some people like myself want to import and export game saves from virtual memory card images created by PSone emulators like ePSXe into a PS3 virtual memory card, I have decided to post up a tutorial based on this.

Sadly, even though this works, I have decided to write up a very rough tutorial and post it immediately so that people will know how to do this straight away - screenshots for multiMAN & MemCardRex will come later

Backing Up Your PS3-Situated Virtual Memory Cards

1. Using your favourite file manager on the Sony PlayStation 3, whether it is Comgenie's Awesome File Manager or whether it is Dean The Bulgarian Dude's multiMAN application, go to the following path in order to find out where your virtual memory cards are saved:
    Code:
    dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc
    If you have ANY memory card images saved, then it will be saved in the aforementioned path, with your chosen memory card image name followed by a ".VM1" extension, exempli gratia:
    Code:
    001.vm1
    2. From there, copy them to a USB memory stick in order to back them up and then if you want to back them up elsewhere, then feel free to do so.

Preparing Your Virtual Memory Cards For Use With A Memory Card Manager

1. Once you have backed the memory card images up, you are now ready to manage your game saves with them. You can either use a PSone emulator like ePSXe to manage your game saves OR if you want to save time AND back up individual saves, then download a memory card manager like PSXGameEdit ([Register or Login to view links]) or MemCardRex (Application: [Register or Login to view links] / Plugin Interface (optional): [Register or Login to view links]) for dealing with the memory card images.

2. Once you have acquired a memory card manager of your choice, you will now need to rename the extensions of your virtual memory cards to ".mc" OR ".mcr" (sans the speech marks) as the memory card managers will not be able to open a non-standard extension like ".VM1"

Managing/Importing/Exporting Game Saves on the Virtual Memory Cards (Using PSXGameEdit)

1. Now that you have renamed the extensions of the memory card images, you can now use them with a memory card manager - firstly, open up PSXGameEdit and ignore the warning message by clicking "OK" on it.

2. Open up your memory card image by going to File > Open MemCard Image (Ctrl+O)

3. After that is done, you will see your memory card image loaded up, as shown here:

4. How to manage your game saves with a memory card manager.

4a. From there you can either delete (or undelete) a game save by clicking on the game save and then go to Edit > Delete (or Undelete) Save (or Wipe Save for permanent removal of the save), as shown here:

4b. Or you can copy the individual game save by clicking on the game save and then click on the "floppy disk" icon, and then choosing where to save it and in which format, like this:

4c. Or you can open up a game save by clinking on the "open folder" icon and save it into a memory card image, like this:

Copying the Memory Card Images Back Onto the Sony PlayStation 3

5. Now that you have finished managing your memory card images, you can now rename them back to its default extension (".vm1", sans the speech marks) and copy them back to the following path with your PS3-based file manager of your choice:
    Code:
    dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc
    That's it - you now know how to use and manage your PS3-based virtual memory card images.

Finally, loukas77 has discovered that you can now access your memory card images via XMB once you copy your memory card images from your USB memory module back onto the PS3 as follows:

I tried your method and finally the games are able to load from the "invisible" saves Also i found out how to make them appear on the xmb! If you have a PSone save on a usb flash drive and you copy it back on the ps3, after it gets copied, the "Memory Card Utility" will display all the saves (and the invisible ones).

At least it did that on my PS3 after I used your method to check my memory card and see if it has anything in it, and copied it back on the ps3. Thank you very much for your help, I can finally enjoy all my old games, and be able to save too.
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

• File Type: png 10.png (21.1 KB, 204 views)
    • File Type: png 9.png (41.8 KB, 202 views)
    • File Type: png 8.png (15.5 KB, 200 views)
    • File Type: png 7.png (3.9 KB, 198 views)
    • File Type: png 6.png (56.4 KB, 201 views)
    • File Type: png 5.png (35.7 KB, 206 views)
    • File Type: png 4.png (17.5 KB, 209 views)
    • File Type: png 3.png (18.1 KB, 206 views)
    • File Type: png 2.png (16.8 KB, 205 views)
    • File Type: png 1.png (19.1 KB, 207 views)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    More pics for the first post below.
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News