Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Post Guide to Download Demos on PC and Install via Folding at Home

Sponsored Links
    I slapped a simple VB application together using winsock to dump the request to a text box to see what Folding at home does when connecting to the net. I found that it tries to connect directly to a PKG file on the net.

Then By fooling the PS3 using simple DNS I managed to feed the PS3 "Folding at home installer" a demo game file instead of the original FAH pkg file. It works... it thinks it installs FAH, but it installs the actual demo!

Lets get to the point- Software needed:

1. WAMP Server [Register or Login to view links]
    2. Simple DNS [Register or Login to view links]
    3. a PS3 Demo *.pkg file

WARNING: Firmware 1.92 needed, or any Firmware that has Folding at Home installed.

Install WAMP using the default settings and default install path C:\WAMP.
    Make sure WAMP is not running. On the taskbar next to the time there should
    be a little rev counter left click it ans select "Stop all services" if its not there its not running then don't worry about it.

Once installed goto path C:\wamp\www\ via "my computer."
    Then create a folder called Downloads inside that create a folder called ps3 then inside that create a folder eu and inside that a folder fah so you have a path like this:

C:\wamp\www\download\ps3\eu\fah

Donwnload a Demo PKG file and put it in C:\wamp\www\download\ps3\eu\fah and rename it to fah.pkg

So you have C:\wamp\www\download\ps3\eu\fah\fah.pkg

Then Start WAMP go via The Start menu find WAMP SERVER and Click start WAMP server. Make sure its started by going to the rev counter next to the time "Bottom right hand corner" on the taskbar left click it ans select "Start all services"

Then Install Simple DNS.

1. Open Smiple DNS and click the Records Button on the tool bar.
    2. Click the new button on the toolbar and select "Primary Zone" and click next
    3. Enter deu01.ps3.download.playstation.net as the zone name and click finish.
    4. In the right hand pane in (The White block) right click and select "New Host Address (A-Record)
    5. Set Record name(host) to be deu01.ps3.download.playstation.net
    and ip address to be your PC's Ethernet cards ip address, in my case 10.0.0.1 and Record Time to live 999 and click ok.

Do a test by clicking Start Menu then run and type CMD then click ok. Then Ping your PC's address Ping 10.0.0.1 you should get a reply. It should ping about 4 times wait for it to finish then type:

ping deu01.ps3.download.playstation.net

You should get something like this:
    Code:
    Pinging deu01.ps3.download.playstation.net [10.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    Then set up your PS3 Wired network or Wirless. To have an ip inthe same range as your PC's IP.

E.g in my case I made the:

PS3 IP 10.0.0.2
    Primary DNS 10.0.0.1
    Secondary DNS 10.0.0.1
    Default Router 10.0.0.1

Note: No Proxy Server Needed!!!
    So configure Proxy "DO NOT USE" and you are set to go.

Some advice first:

Open IE explorer or FireFox and type [Register or Login to view links] and click go, where 10.0.0.1 is your PC's address or you could try [Register or Login to view links]

You should hit the WAMP appache server's home address.

Then go on your PS3 goto the Network Globe icon group same place where the Internet browser and Online Store is you should also have Folding at home.

Select Folding at home then agree the agreement and then select yes to download now. Folding at Home is only 50mb big, but using this mod Folding at Home should report the same size as the downloading file in my case 723MB for Folmula 1.

I've tested Formula 1 and Grand Turismo and it works like a charm!

Sponsored Links

Big Grin fah? pkg?

Sponsored Links
    so you mean that i should rename all my pkg- files to fah?

i tried to burn those files on a cd, but it didn't work...

Sponsored Links

Question Hello i have a problem, can you help me?

Sponsored Links
    the problem is by de Simple DNS maybe is not change de ip for deu01.ps3.download.playstation.net and do it again and again but not work in mi explorer put deu01.ps3.download.playstation.net but not appear WAMP =/ what can i do? =/

please a little help

You say demos, but can this be used to install game add-ons or anything else that the PS3news PKG's page offers?

Banned User
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but i am pretty sure the f@h method stopped working quite a few firmware updates ago, so unless your on the lower end of the update totem pole there is no longer a way to proxy any pkg's over and have them install..

Just a heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but i am pretty sure the f@h method stopped working quite a few firmware updates ago, so unless your on the lower end of the update totem pole there is no longer a way to proxy any pkg's over and have them install..

Just a heads up!
    yeah i was thinking that is an old quote

thanks for advice

This could let me see the see the movie section of the store?

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News