Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Post Guide: Convert PSOne / PSX and PS2 Game Saves to .PSV Format

Sponsored Links
    Everyone already knows the official way, the memcard adaptor. Thatīs Ok if you have the saves already on your memcard. if you want to download saves, you then need a way to get it to your ps2, like AR,X-port or some other means. then transfer it to the ps3 with the adaptor.
    Thereīs an easier way. the "unofficial" way and everyone already using Swapmagic for homebrew will be happy to know that you also have a memcard adaptor.

Converting ps2 saves to .psv format with uLaunch.elf
    Things required - Swapmagic 3.6+ or 3.8coder, a compatible usb device, uLaunch.elf and Ps2 save converter 3.0

1. You have to convert the game save to .psu format or raw format. Raw format is a save with with all the files extracted in a folder instead of 1 file with an extension like .max

Open ps2 save converter, click the OPEN button, select your gamesave, then select SAVE using the save as .psu option. convert all your saves to .psu format and put them anywhere on the usb.

Make a folder on the root of your usb named SWAPMAGIC. Rename uLaunch.elf to SMBOOT0.ELF and put inside the swapmagic folder.

2. Boot Swapmagic on the PS3.
    For SM 3.6+ at the menu screen press D-Pad up and L1 to start ulaunch.elf

For SM 3.8coder, goto the SMBOOT menu and select SMBOOT0
    Once uLaunch.elf starts go to the Filebrowser, navigate to mass(usb device) and select your .psu save. Hit R1 for the option menu and select copy. Go to mc0: or mc:1 and hit R1 then select psuPaste. uLaunch.elf unpacks the save and youīll see the gamesave folder with the files inside. If the save is in Raw format, you select the game save folder, hit R1, then copy. go to mc0 or mc1: and select mcPaste.

3. Exit to the XMB. you should now see your game saves. Thatīs it. you can now play your games using the saves you just imported.

so what about .PSV format?

Well with this process you skip the .PSV format altogether if you want.
    Everyone says we canīt encrypt a save in .PSV format and theyīre right. Only the PS3 can make a .psv save.

So in the XMB goto the memcard, select your save, select copy, go to the device you want to save to and the PS3 will happily convert your game save to .psv format.

Remember* the game save is only in .psv (playstation virtual) format when the ps3 exports it to an external device. while itīs on the vmc, itīs in normal raw format. So you can extract the gamesave from the vmc by selecting the folder. R1, copy, goto usb and hit mcPaste to keep it in raw format. Or you can select psuPaste and uLaunch.elf will convert it to .psu format

Any questions? just ask and I'll try to help if I can.

Link for uLaunh.elf.430 with working usb drivers: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/attach...chmentid=16595

Finally, below is an updated guide from gliitch (via tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=3366#p7508):

Sony's Memory Card Adapter Fully Reverse Engineered [OSX Support]

Here is a guide for converting standard & edited PS2/PS1 saves to PSV format.

With this guide you wont need the Sony's Memory Card Adapter, also from what ive read, Sony's Memory Card Adapter does convert PS1 / PS2 to PS3 save files, but when you want to tranfer them back, they become corrupted. This way, that doesnt happen

This tutorial will be split into 2 parts:
    • First part Converting PS1 saves
    • Second Part Converting PS2 saves

Part One:

PSX SAVES:

The things you'll need:
    • A hacked PS3
    • A hacked PS2 (so you can copy your saves onto a USB)
    • A PC - playing PSX games on an emulator (easiest way to obtain your saves or one thats capable of running homebrew)
    • FTP Client (FTPZilla) & for the PS3 any FTP client will do i.e.: OpenFTP
    • Memcard Rex
    • Your PSX saves

The file formats can be MC, MCR & whichever formats you save as

Ok, first go to your PS3 boot into your ftp client navigate to /dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc/

Here you'll see your PSX & PS2 Virtual Memory Cards, copy the file that has the VM1 file extension on the end, to your desktop. This is the PS One memory card. (keep this in a separate folder on your desktop so you don't get confused later)

Edit the end of the extension and replace it with .MCR (VM1 = .MCR) Now, open up Memcard Rex > navigate to "File" "Open" & find saves you'd like to inject into your PS3's VMC. Once you've found them, select Edit & scroll down to "Export Save"

Create a folder on the desktop, that has all your saves, call it PSX Save Files. For each save you export, it will create a "mcs" file (Single PSX save) keep doing this until all the saves you want are in the folder.

Now, load up Memcard Rex again & go to the folder which has your PS3 VM1 file in it, it maybe empty but thats ok.
    Go to Edit > Import. Now its time to inject all the saves into this file. Once this is done, save it. Memrex will ask you if you want to save it again, click Yes.

On the desktop go to the folder with your newly edited save and rename the extension back to VM1.
    Finally load up FTP on your PC & PS3, navigate to /dev_hdd0/savedata /vmc & then replace the existing VM1 file with the newly created one.

The files will appear as though they are invisible. Load up a game PS1 PSN game, quit then head over to the PS1/PS2 Save Utility they will then appear as if it was always there the save will appear in the [PS1/PS2] Saves Category.

When the saves are exported to a USB the PS3 converts them to .PSV files which adds a signature to the file, so theres no way of decrypting it yet, but with this method theres no need to

Part Two:

PS2 SAVES:

Items you will need:
    • Mymc - PS2 Memory Card Utility
    • Your PS2 Save files
    • Hacked PS3
    • FileZilla
    • PS3 FTP Client

Copy the VM2 file to your desktop which is located in /dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc/Internal Memory Card.VM2

Rename the extension to .ps2, open up mymc. Navigate to your memory card which should be on your desktop. Here you'll have a list of save files, you can export these to the desktop, & edit them, then inject them back into the card.

Alternatively, you can take a download PS2 save & inject it into the card, by highlighting export. Once you've done this its time to rename the .PS2 file to VM2. Copy it back to the PS3.

The save issue is the same as the PSX Saves, you will just need to boot into any PSX/PS2 game & exit, your saves will then be displayed.

SIDENOTES

This is an updated version of porting your ps2 saves into the ps3, which required Swap Magic to do so before hand, now i have removed that need. Make sure your save is of the correct region, as it will not work. I've now made this tutorial compatible with Mac OSX, you'll need to install Wine Bottler - its a little buggy but it does the job. I have personally tested the following programs - PS2 Save Converter, mymc & PSXG 160 confirmed to be working. Memcard Rex does not work with this method.

Enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Very informative guide, well done aries2k6 and +Rep! I also tagged it to make it easier to find.

Sponsored Links

PSX to PS3 Format?

Sponsored Links
    Is there a way to do this with PSX saves?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcukoo View Post
    Is there a way to do this with PSX saves?
    Not that I know I know of.
    uLaunch.elf doesnīt recognise psx vmc
    Iīm not to familiar with psx saves but Iīm assuming you can transfer them with the memcard adaptor.

I just remembered that I read somewhere that you can transfer psx saves from the psp. so if you have a psp, you could put your save on that and transfer it over
    Last edited by aries2k6; 02-13-2009 at 06:26 PM Reason: had an idea

This can probably be used to figured out the algo for the PSV... if anyone is interested....
    PEACE

Ya, Iīm sure people are interested. what you got in mind?
    It might be too technical for me to help out except with testing but Iīll contribute anyway I can.

I'm not sure, what exactly I have in mind just yet. My PS3 is out of commission, so I don't know where exactly to start, or what to modify, and what stays the same every time on the same file, and what it writes for a 00 file.

It can't be too hard to figure out... idone would probably be a good asset.

I got a question! After point 2 my PS3 doesn't start with the ulancher?! I got only an black TV? what is the failure?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyyayo View Post
    I got a question! After point 2 my PS3 doesn't start with the ulancher?! I got only an black TV? what is the failure?
    I think your usb device is not compatible.
    Have you ever booted any elf files on the ps3 before? If not, Iīm almost positive thats the problem. SM is very picky on the ps3. Sandisk and Adata pendrives work. The psp and alot of usb hddīs work. it should be formatted to FAT32 for the most compatibility.

@hacked2123
    Sorry, to hear your ps3 is out of commision. Is it fixable? Hope you can get it repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by aries2k6 View Post
    I think your usb device is not compatible.
    Have you ever booted any elf files on the ps3 before? If not, Iīm almost positive thats the problem. SM is very picky on the ps3. Sandisk and Adata pendrives work. The psp and alot of usb hddīs work. it should be formatted to FAT32 for the most compatibility.
    Hmm strange, because i'm using an san disk memory (this combo [Register or Login to view links]). It's also in fat32. And no i don't booted any elf files before I think it's better i post you all my PS2 files and you say if they are the right files or not.. Because that Converter! This part
    Open ps2 save converter, click the OPEN button, select your gamesave
    wouldn't like work. He finds non supported files But with "Edit>Add file" it goes

Sorry for my bad english

Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

untitled.bmp  

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News