Post Guide: Another Style of Media Server for PS3

I setup a Complete Media Server with TVeristy but I took it higher Just for PS3, PSP, Xbox 360, and PC I can even do my media over the web like a remote Music location were you use the browser.

On My build has Free and opensource software and all for FREE
    Media Server: TVerisity (with TVersity Codec Pack installed) URL: http://tversity.com/

Web Server: Uniform Server 4.3 Mona URL: http://www.uniformserver.com/
    -Web Server Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mini...3.zip/download

FTP Server: Xlight FTP Server URL: http://www.xlightftpd.com/
    -FTP Tutorial: http://www.xlightftpd.com/tutorial/get_started.html

Remote Desktop: VNC ServerURL: http://www.tightvnc.com/
    -TightVNC Download: http://www.tightvnc.com/download/1.3.10/tightvnc-1.3.10-setup.exe

Stage 1
    Download the Web server with link provided
    Extract the Web Server folder to were you want C drive or what ever
    After you extract the Web server you have to edit .htaccess for LAN or Public access
    \Uniserver\udrive\www\.htaccess
    change to
    Code:
    # This file provides security to the server limiting access to the localhost only. 
    # Comment to deactivate.

Order Deny,Allow
    #Allow from LAN or Public access
    Allow from all

#Only allow Local host this computer to access the webserver
    # Allow from 127.0.0.1

# To allow execution of cgi scripts in this directory uncomment next two lines.

AddHandler cgi-script .pl .cgi
    Options +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks

#--
    # Activate this to use the Private Server Feature!
    #--
    # To lock server, uncomment the next 4 lines.
    # Defaults: Username - root; Password - root

#AuthName "Uniform Server - Server Access"
    #AuthType Basic
    #AuthUserFile /htpasswd/www/.htpasswd
    #Require valid-user
    Then in folder www
    you can create your directorys and in each of the directorys create a folder name “ recycle_bin ” in stage 4 it will make it easy.
    Example
    Code:
    |-UniServer
    	|-udrive
    	     |-udrive
    		   |-Music
    		   |-Video
    		   |-Photo
    		   |-Podcasts
    Uniserver creates a Virtual drive in Windows Z:\ this will come handy in stage 4

Stage 2
    Download and install Tverisity at the site provided
    During install do Download and Install Tveristy Codec pack and ffdshow

To add your folders in to your Tveristy library
    -launch Tverisy from the shortcut on the desktop
    -Click on library on the top
    - “+Add Item”
    -Click Browse
    -look for folder path
    -Fill in Title
    -Then check mark the categories Photo, Video, Music that corrolate with the contents

Stage 3
    Download the FTP server and install it

Use the get started link to help you http://www.xlightftpd.com/tutorial/get_started.html
    -The Home path is the folder were all your stuff is
    -The Home Path Premissions need to be set before you can upload folder

Stage 4 (I decided to add this)
    To add a Ajax File Browser to were you can access it away from home
    Download AjaXplorer http://www.ajaxplorer.info/wordpress/
    Extract AjaXplorer into the www in Uniserver
    Then go to http://localhost/ Then you should get AjaXplorer Diagnostic Tool
    The only warning is the Zlib extension just click “click here to continue to AjaXplorer!”
    It will create a Admin account with a default password
    Default – Username : admin Password: admin
    Login as admin but I STRONGLY suggest change the password if you decide to but this on the web.

Stage 4.1
    Add the Directories
    -Click on the drop down menu “Default Files” and select “Settings”
    -Select Repositories
    -On the top bar look for “New Repo.”
    -Fill in Repository Label
    -Repository Driver Select File System then fill it out
    Example “For my Case”
    Code:
    Repository Label : Podcasts 
    Repository Driver : File system (Standard)
    ----------------
    Path: Z:/www/Podcasts
    Create “NO”
    Recycle Bin : recycle_bin
    File Creation Mask : 0777
    Default Rights : rw
    After that then save
    then go to Users
    Double Click on the Admin Account to edit
    Then you will see “ Repositories Acess ”
    find the folder(s) created and check Read and Write then click ok
    Then click were the settings drop down is and make sure the folder you added is there

if you check your folder in the drop down but you don't see your files check for the recycle_bin folder.

Stage 5 (optional)
    For Remote control of the desktop Download TightVNC from the link provided on top.
    Install it and if you want it to start have the installer install Service mode.
    Then double click on the TightVNC icon down by the clock on windows and to setup in a simple password on the first tab “Server”.

To View the Computer download TightVNC Viewer and if the server is configure right all you have to do is type in the IP of the Computer and it should ask for your password.

My Media Server
    Sony Vaio Tower PCV-RX370DS
    Windows XP Pro SP1 “I know out of date when I get broadband I will worry updating it”
    Intel Pentium 4 1.3 Ghz
    640MB of ram
    C: 60GB Windows
    F: 160GB Media

I did have to download some stuff so this tutoral took over an hour on a 5KB/s connection. The Build I did up before I moved when I had DSL. Doing this tutoral I even had to redo my media server file structure.
    Last edited by Spikey123; 01-25-2010 at 06:03 AM Reason: forgotten link

Thumbs Up

I think this deserves +Rep.

Nice work man, haven't tried it yet, but I can guess what it looks like.

I actually use this setup on my Media Server I was using to dump podcasts on because I would go to my mom's work to download podcasts since I don't have satellite TV yet I would download video podcasts from TWiT Live and Hak .5 and I would stream those to my ps3.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding your purposes for doing this, but Tversity has built into it the ability to access it directly via any browser with flash support over the internet without any other programs. I dont see the need for the process you listed, maybe im missing something.

You can admin, or simply access all the media setup in Tversity remotely relatively easy.

3 steps to set this up:

1-Open Tversity, click settings. Under Home network check the box saying "this media server should accept request originating from outside the home network".

Then enter your desired login name and password (the fields will appear after checking the box).

You should be able to leave the ip field blank and the port the defualt.

2-Configure your router to port forward the default port (or if you used a different port, than that one).

3-From any browser enter " http://ip:port/admin " where ip is your web ip (not your lan ip), port is the port in Tversity. This lets you access the admin console.

To access your media, type " http://ip:port/ " and a web interface will grant you access to whatever you set Tversity to share.

It's that simple.

I was mainly trying to get the server guide for the PS3. Also for the Web access out of the house to the content you have get the paid version the Free one only allows it on the LAN. So to get content over the web like if you were away from your house that is what the ajax file browser is for.Also I was working on the guide for over 2 hours to check my facts. Plus is was 12 at night.

I can't go back and edit my post, last time I downloaded TVeristy they limited remote content from the server but when I did the guide I completely forgot
    Last edited by Spikey123; 01-29-2010 at 02:14 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey123 View Post
    I was mainly trying to get the server guide for the PS3. Also for the Web access out of the house to the content you have get the paid version the Free one only allows it on the LAN. So to get content over the web like if you were away from your house that is what the ajax file browser is for.Also I was working on the guide for over 2 hours to check my facts. Plus is was 12 at night.

I can't go back and edit my post, last time I downloaded TVeristy they limited remote content from the server but when I did the guide I completely forgot
    I can appreciate the time and effort you put into your guide, but i believe your mistaken when it comes to Tversity and its 2 versions. There is a free and pro version, the only difference is that the pro version offers "premium content", which is basically addition "channels" of tv/video content from sources like hulu/bbc. Other than that they are the same in function.

Also the Pro edition is given away for free just like the free version, with the hope that you will contribute and pay for it. Otherwise its unrestricted even if you dont pay.

I personally use Tversity Pro, so i cant go and check the setting myself... but nothing on Tversity's site nor on google supports your claim that the free version is restricted to disallow access from the web.

The process i gave will let you access your Tversity server from anywhere over the web with a browser that supports flash. Be it your friends computer at his/her house, your cell phone, PS3/Wii (Wii works ok with music, sucks for video), laptop using a hotspot, etc. Not to mention its very easy to setup, i just didnt know if everything you described was meant for more than remote access and administration.

dvdesign another reason I didn't add the TVeristy remote access to my build guide because I based it off of mine. I use the AJAX file manager because I also upload files and I can't do that over the TVersity Remote Access.

Also I tried to do quickly retract that I said after I did look around on the site but by the time I loaded the edit page but on *Dial-up it take time and I couldn't edit the page.

*The Media Server build I did on another PC before I moved and I was on DSL after I moved I got stuck on Dial-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey123 View Post
    dvdesign another reason I didn't add the TVeristy remote access to my build guide because I based it off of mine. I use the AJAX file manager because I also upload files and I can't do that over the TVersity Remote Access.

Also I tried to do quickly retract that I said after I did look around on the site but by the time I loaded the edit page but on *Dial-up it take time and I couldn't edit the page.

*The Media Server build I did on another PC before I moved and I was on DSL after I moved I got stuck on Dial-up.
    Well for the purposes of uploading videos to your Tversity server i can understand your setup, but ive never found myself needing to do so. If its on the web you simply add it via the Tversity Admin through a browser as "internet video" (or music, pics, etc).

If its a matter of being at a friends house and wanting some video they have, there have got to be faster and easier ways of getting it to your computer...and external hdd, a thumb drive, an online storage site.

Like i said i can appreciate the time you spent on your guide, and i'm not trying to offend you or take away from it. At the same time if people only want to admin or access their media, there is a much simpler way. If they need to upload content remotely on a regular basis maybe your setup is the best way to do it.

thx dvdesign, also I am mainly used to forums that have no time limit to edit post.. this is the only forum that has a 5min edit window.