Get the PS3 Linux Addon CD from here: [Register or Login to view links]
Get the Fedora Core 6 DVD from official mirrors: [Register or Login to view links]
Follow these instructions but use the FC6 DVD where the intructions reference FC5 DVD. And use the Addon CD from the site specified above.
You will need a USB keyboard and a mouse to use Linux on your PS3! Make sure you have it before jumping into the installation!
Alright, once you have these things ready, here's how you prepare your PS3 for another operating system, which in our case, is Fedora Core 5.
- You'll need a USB storage drive (can be a Memory Stick, Compact Flash drive, external hard disk, etc..)
- Now plug the drive into your PC.
- Make a folder called "PS3" in the root of the storage drive.
- Inside the PS3 folder, make an "otheros" folder.
- Move the otheros.self to the otheros folder on the USB storage drive.
- Now, use a software like WinRAR to open the Addon CD ISO which we just downloaded.
- Inside that ISO file, navigate to the kboot folder where you'll find a file - otheros.bld
- Extract that single file to the otheros folder on your USB storage drive.
- Now, remove the USB drive from your PC and plug it into the PS3.
- Now before we do anything, make sure to format your PS3's Hard Disk.
- Make two partitions, one for Linux and the other for the PS3 Game OS. If it's a 20GB disk, you can make 2 partitions of 10GB each.
- If it's a bigger disk, the partitioning scheme is upto you.
- Now go to the Settings Menu -> System Settings -> Install Other OS.
- Click on OK to start the installation. This will install the kboot image to the PS3.
- Once done, it will go back to the menu.
- Navigate to Settings -> System Settings -> Default System and select "Other OS".
Now that you've selected Other OS from the default system menu, when you restart your PS3, you will be greeted with the Other OS installer message. In case you're stuck with the Other OS installer and you want to go back to the Game OS, just press the Power button for 5 seconds or more when starting your PS3. Be advised that doing this will restore the PS3 to it's default factory resolution.
- Alright, now insert the Fedora Core 5 DVD into the PS3.
- Restart your PS3.
- When the PS3 starts, you will be greeted with the kboot message for the Fedora Core 5 installer.
- You can only install via a DVD, CDs aren't supported!
- When the installation starts, one Hard Disk will be recognised - sda Linux.
- At the kboot prompt, type in "install-fc sda"
Once it starts, you will see a message:
Please insert Fedore Core install DVD.
Is it OK? (y/n):
Just press y to begin install.
This will prepare your PS3 for Linux. Once done, you will be able to select one of the 2 install methods:
Fedora Core minimum install
Fedore Core full install
Select whichever install you want. We'd recommend a full install to reap all the benefits of Linux on your PS3. At this point, the real installation will start. It will ask a couple of questions, but they will be basic stuff. Remember that when you install Fedora Core 5 on your PS3, the second partition you made will be formatted and you will lose all your data on that partition.
The installer will start unpacking and installing the data to your hard disk. After a small while, you'll see this message:
Please insert a Addon Packages CD.
Is it OK? (y/n)
Remove the Fedora Core 5 DVD and insert the Addon Disc which you burned a while ago and press y.
A little while later, you will see the following message:
Type reboot to start Linux or type halt to power off
Rejoice! You've just successfully installed Fedora Core 5 to your PS3. Now you could shut off your PS3 and take a walk outside. But knowing Linux nuts, I'm sure you'll be dying to check it out.
Just type in reboot to restart your PS3. When your PS3 starts, you will be able to login as root with the password you supplied during install. Just type it in and have fun with Fedora Core 5! You will be able to install any app as long as it has a PPC build of it. That includes most major applications like Mozilla Firefox, VLC player and more..
Now if you want to go back to the Game OS, just type in boot-game-os at the prompt. Have fun with Linux on your PS3.
- Install the minimun FC6 (about 5 minutes)
- Leave the FC6 DVD on the drive during all this tutorial
Network and SSH server
mount the /mnt/dcrom with the FC6 DVD in the driver after the installation is finished, and install dhclient
and ssh server. This way you can loggin from another computer and copy paste the rest of the tutorial, on the comand line.
# mount /mnt/cdrom
# cd /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS
# rpm -Uvh dhclient*
# cd /
# yum install openssh-server
Kernel used is the kernel in the PS3 Linux Addon CD. So be carefull and do not replace the kernel with the FC6 kernel.
ps3videomode - use this cmd line tool to adjust your video mode.
and then change /etc/kboot.conf with the video mode you want to persist: