Fedora Core 6 Linux on PS3
Get the PS3 Linux Addon CD from here:
Get the Fedora Core 6 DVD from official mirrors:
Follow these instructions but use the FC6 DVD where the intructions reference FC5 DVD. And use the Addon CD from the site specified above.
You will need a USB keyboard and a mouse to use Linux on your PS3! Make sure you have it before jumping into the installation!
Alright, once you have these things ready, here's how you prepare your PS3 for another operating system, which in our case, is Fedora Core 5.
- You'll need a USB storage drive (can be a Memory Stick, Compact Flash drive, external hard disk, etc..)
- Now plug the drive into your PC.
- Make a folder called "PS3" in the root of the storage drive.
- Inside the PS3 folder, make an "otheros" folder.
- Move the otheros.self to the otheros folder on the USB storage drive.
- Now, use a software like WinRAR to open the Addon CD ISO which we just downloaded.
- Inside that ISO file, navigate to the kboot folder where you'll find a file - otheros.bld
- Extract that single file to the otheros folder on your USB storage drive.
- Now, remove the USB drive from your PC and plug it into the PS3.
- Now before we do anything, make sure to format your PS3's Hard Disk.
- Make two partitions, one for Linux and the other for the PS3 Game OS. If it's a 20GB disk, you can make 2 partitions of 10GB each.
- If it's a bigger disk, the partitioning scheme is upto you.
- Now go to the Settings Menu -> System Settings -> Install Other OS.
- Click on OK to start the installation. This will install the kboot image to the PS3.
- Once done, it will go back to the menu.
- Navigate to Settings -> System Settings -> Default System and select "Other OS".
Now that you've selected Other OS from the default system menu, when you restart your PS3, you will be greeted with the Other OS installer message. In case you're stuck with the Other OS installer and you want to go back to the Game OS, just press the Power button for 5 seconds or more when starting your PS3. Be advised that doing this will restore the PS3 to it's default factory resolution.
- Alright, now insert the Fedora Core 5 DVD into the PS3.
- Restart your PS3.
- When the PS3 starts, you will be greeted with the kboot message for the Fedora Core 5 installer.
- You can only install via a DVD, CDs aren't supported!
- When the installation starts, one Hard Disk will be recognised - sda Linux.
- At the kboot prompt, type in "install-fc sda"
Once it starts, you will see a message:
Please insert Fedore Core install DVD.
Is it OK? (y/n):
Just press y to begin install.
This will prepare your PS3 for Linux. Once done, you will be able to select one of the 2 install methods:
Fedora Core minimum install
Fedore Core full install
Select whichever install you want. We'd recommend a full install to reap all the benefits of Linux on your PS3. At this point, the real installation will start. It will ask a couple of questions, but they will be basic stuff. Remember that when you install Fedora Core 5 on your PS3, the second partition you made will be formatted and you will lose all your data on that partition.
The installer will start unpacking and installing the data to your hard disk. After a small while, you'll see this message:
Please insert a Addon Packages CD.
Is it OK? (y/n)
Remove the Fedora Core 5 DVD and insert the Addon Disc which you burned a while ago and press y.
A little while later, you will see the following message:
Type reboot to start Linux or type halt to power off
Rejoice! You've just successfully installed Fedora Core 5 to your PS3. Now you could shut off your PS3 and take a walk outside. But knowing Linux nuts, I'm sure you'll be dying to check it out.
Just type in reboot to restart your PS3. When your PS3 starts, you will be able to login as root with the password you supplied during install. Just type it in and have fun with Fedora Core 5! You will be able to install any app as long as it has a PPC build of it. That includes most major applications like Mozilla Firefox, VLC player and more..
Now if you want to go back to the Game OS, just type in boot-game-os at the prompt. Have fun with Linux on your PS3.
- Install the minimun FC6 (about 5 minutes)
- Leave the FC6 DVD on the drive during all this tutorial Network and SSH server
mount the /mnt/dcrom with the FC6 DVD in the driver after the installation is finished, and install dhclient
and ssh server. This way you can loggin from another computer and copy paste the rest of the tutorial, on the comand line.
# mount /mnt/cdrom
# cd /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS
# rpm -Uvh dhclient*
# cd /
# yum install openssh-server Important
Kernel used is the kernel in the PS3 Linux Addon CD. So be carefull and do not replace the kernel with the FC6 kernel. Display Resolution
ps3videomode - use this cmd line tool to adjust your video mode.
and then change /etc/kboot.conf with the video mode you want to persist:
linux='/boot/vmlinux-2.6.16 initrd=/boot/initrd.img video=ps3fb:mode:3' Install Graphical Mode and KDE Desktop Enviroment
This will take some time but should do it, say yes to all questions:
# yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
# yum install pirut k3b mikmod
# yum groupinstall "Server Configuration Tools"
# yum groupinstall "Sound and Video"
# yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
# yum groupinstall "Legacy Software Support"
# yum groupinstall "Development Libraries"
# yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
# yum groupinstall "Windows File Server"
# yum groupinstall "System Tools"
# yum groupinstall "X Window System"
# yum install switchdesk lslk logwatch dump lftp bind-utils sendmail nss_ldap device-mapper-multipath ypbind yp-tools
# yum install parted.ppc64 rdist.ppc man-pages.noarch talk.ppc pam_ccreds.ppc nc.ppc traceroute.ppc unix2dos.ppc setarch.ppc pam_passwdqc.ppc words.noarch cpuspeed.ppc netdump.ppc crontabs.noarch fbset.ppc acl.ppc dosfstools.ppc usbutils.ppc redhat-lsb.ppc rsync.ppc mgetty.ppc time.ppc man.ppc pam_passwdqc.ppc64 pam_smb.ppc wget.ppc
# yum install diskdumputils.ppc ftp.ppc pinfo.ppc ksh.ppc jwhois.ppc psacct.ppc ipsec-tools.ppc dhcpv6_client.ppc lsof.ppc readahead.ppc pcmciautils.ppc sudo.ppc yum-updatesd.noarch pam_smb.ppc64 cyrus-sasl-plain.ppc sysreport.noarch pam_pkcs11.ppc64 rdate.ppc finger.ppc anacron.ppc nano.ppc pam_ccreds.ppc64 parted.ppc attr.ppc tcsh.ppc specspo.noarch stunnel.ppc mlocate.ppc tcpdump.ppc dos2unix.ppc rsh.ppc irda-utils.ppc numactl.ppc tree.ppc
# yum install pam_pkcs11.ppc tmpwatch.ppc gnupg.ppc vconfig.ppc iptstate.ppc pax.ppc mtr.ppc nss_db.ppc rp-pppoe.ppc krb5-workstation.ppc pam_krb5.ppc64 mdadm.ppc quota.ppc pam_krb5.ppc symlinks.ppc smartmontools.ppc tcp_wrappers.ppc64 mtools.ppc setuptool.ppc telnet.ppc rng-utils.ppc irqbalance.ppc
# yum groupinstall "Office/Productivity" Add Your User to the System
replace loginname with your username
# adduser loginname -g users
# echo 'loginname ALL=(ALL) ALL' >> /etc/sudoers
# passwd loginname Graphical Mode on Startup
change the device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to:
Option "ShadowFB" "false"
# Option "UseFBDev" "true"
change /etc/inittab file to mode 5
id:5:initdefault: Testing Graphic Mode
Reboot the PS3 and validate that you can login with your user ID. Persist Network settings
Login as a normal user. Goto System->Administration->Network
Add a new device and setup the network to dhcp.
Select activate. (this will persist your network settings) Languages
Goto the Add/Remove Software to add support for more languages Getting all the extras missing in FC base
as root on the command line type
# rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
# rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
# rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY Final Notes
There is probably some stuff missing. Send me comments on gtalk or PS3.
I have the PS3 running fine with FC6 no issues for now.
I use KDE but GNOME should also be working fine.