Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

TOC Refresh: Swap Magic 3.6 vs. DVDLoader

Sponsored Links
    I bought The Rumble Fish (Japan) and tried to boot it with Swap Magic with no luck. Turns out the game needs a bigger TOC to run.

I have Swap Magic 3.6 and I used DMC as the original TOC and swapped in the other game. I ended up getting a RSOD. I read up here on the forums about DVDLoader and tried it. I booted Swap Magic -> DVDLoader -> Refreshed the TOC with DMC -> Swapped with Rumble Fish and it worked.

Why is it that I can boot Rumble Fish with DVDLoader rather than Swap Magic? As far as I know I'm doing everything the right way. Is there something that DVDLoader does that Swap Magic doesn't? The process is a bit tedious but then again, I didn't want to spend the extra dough on a Jap machine.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I am not a expert on SM any more (upgraded to a chip), but I thought it was something to do with the memory address the SM used and the game did too, so they would conflict. The loaders would assign a different one thus allowing a game to load with out conflict. check [Register or Login to view links] and you can see just how many games have issues but are easily fixed with a loader. Swaping can be tedious yes, but its cheaper than a chip and easier to install.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yea, I know what you mean about the $$. Its odd that it requires you to do that, and northernpimps explaintion does make sense. Just out of curiousity, the games text is still in japanese is it not?? Because I wanted to get a jap copy of FF7 but didnt know if it would translate the text or not.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    of course... alot of text is still in Japanese. Most of the games I do tend to import have to have a generous amount of game, rather than a whole lot of reading however i've lucked out recently with alot of menus coming in English. It's gotta be enough gameplay for $65.

I will warn that games that usually come from Square in Japan are, most of the time, 100% Japanese text and even mod-checked. Of course, there are ways around that.

Swap Magic 3.6 TOC Refreash Help!

Iím running a ps2 V10 with flip top and 200 Meg Seagate, And I have both swap magic 2.0 and 3.6. Iím using "Devil May cry 1" for a toc disk. The two games that I have tried this with and had the same results are "Fantastic 4" and "Sonic Heroes". And everything above is all us versions.

I put sm3.6 in. I wait for it to say "Load Program". I hit eject: it says "insert toc disk". I put in "Devil may Cry" and hit the eject button. It says "refreshing toc" or something to that effect. Then it says something like load or swap disk. I open the flip top put in the game. It seems to try to load, and then it goes to the browser then the red screen of death.

What am I doing wrong?

I tried cleaning my laser and all cd's involved. I know the copies are good, because I can play them with sm2.0 using cogswap and devil may cry as the toc.

Two of my friends are having the same problem, but they don't have a copy of SM2.0, so that's not an option for them.

I have 225 games, most of them I don't have problems with. The ones I do I can get running under SM2.0 with a combination of dvdcdloader/cogswap/zoneloader

I was under the impression the version 3.6 would eliminate most of these problems and that toc refreshers would be easier. I haven't tested all my games with it, but so far I can't get the refresh to work, and the games that I could only get to work with zoneloader, I still have to use zoneloader with the sm3.6. So did I waste my money buying this product or am I just doing something wrong?

Hi first post here and would like to say I think the sites great now on to my question.

I have the Ps2 slim with the slim tool I was trying to play Hot Shots Golf Fore. So I loaded up the Swap Magic disk then loaded the dvd loader and the again reloaded the Swap Magic disk like ive dont many times before with my old Ps2 then I swap the SM disk for HS Golf and it doesnt read the disk it spins then just stops it doesnt appear that the laser is even trying to read HS Golf am I doing something wrong? Id greatly appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this.

Thanks

I've got a slimline ps2 and Swap Magic 3.6. I need to do the refresh TOC trick that I used on my original ps2 but can't seem to get it to work.

I boot the SM3.6 dvd and change for the larger TOC disk but when I lift the magic switch back piece the screen says refresh TOC but when I push it down again nothing happens. The disk does not spin at all, if I try lifting the back piece again the screen show a message ' not a valid ps2 disk'.
    Can ne1 help me to get this working?

Thanks.

Unhappy

If THIS is the prompt you're receiving, then as mentioned in our past Site News if you have a PSTwo slimline, SM 3.6 TOC Refresh is not yet supported without additional hardware modifications unfortunately.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    If THIS is the prompt you're receiving, then as mentioned in our past Site News if you have a PSTwo slimline, SM 3.6 TOC Refresh is not yet supported without additional hardware modifications unfortunately.
    im new to this dvdloader thing and i downloaded the dvdloaderv7all but it doesnt work. i burned it on a dvd-r at 4x with alcohol 120 booted my burned gameshark via S.M 3.6 entered my codes pressed start game re-inserted S.M then put dvdloader but instead of booting it brought me back to that ps2 screen that shows you the mem cards and the disc (like when you press browser as soon as u turn on the game). could you help me with this? should i use special boot instead of just pressing x?

This thread is from 2005 hehe.. the only suggestion I have is to try ZoneLoader if DVDLoader didn't work. You can get it here:

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps2-ne...ader-1153.html

Perhaps someone else who is still into PS2 stuff has another idea, if so feel free to share it here and I will +Rep ya!

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News