Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UMD movies?

Sponsored Links

UMD movies?

Sponsored Links
    How much do we know about UMD movies? If we knew how they were encoded, file structures, etc could this not be used to create custom UMD movie ISOs? I'd love to be able to take advantage of the full screen resolution.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hmm, you could be on to something... UMD Movie Rip + Re-Inserted Video + UMD Emu = Homebrew UMD Movie, maybe.

There is still alot of guesswork as for the PSP Media File format (.pmf). One guy was able to make a few, but I think someone said something about him having access to the official PSP Dev Kit to make them. That, and there is no ATRAC3+ codec out, only the standard ATRAC3.

Give it time... It'll happen.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by InvaderF00
    Hmm, you could be on to something... UMD Movie Rip + Re-Inserted Video + UMD Emu = Homebrew UMD Movie, maybe.

There is still alot of guesswork as for the PSP Media File format (.pmf). One guy was able to make a few, but I think someone said something about him having access to the official PSP Dev Kit to make them. That, and there is no ATRAC3+ codec out, only the standard ATRAC3.

Give it time... It'll happen.
    Firstly I'm no expert on this but here's something I've played around with.

Files on a UMD have a .MPS extension. The files are found to contain H264-ES by mplayer. If you dump the files you can try to use mplayer to dump the video on the .mps files. (don't bother doing the main movie it's big)

On the UMD I was playing around with there are a few smaller files, which are the previews of other movies and the Sony startup clip.

I tried mplayer -dumpvideo on all the small ones and the video doesn't play.... EXCEPT on the Sony startup clip. You can spot that one because it's 2,768,896 bytes.

The video dump of that one did play back in mplayer:
    Playing stream.dump.
    H264-ES file format detected.
    FPS seems to be: -378614/10000
    ================================================== ========================
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
    ================================================== ========================
    Audio: no sound
    Starting playback...
    VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
    VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    Movie-Aspect is 1.82:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    VO: [directx] 720x480 => 872x480 Planar YV12

As you can see it's an h264 file, so we know that a 1.5 will play h264 if it's on a umd in the correct format. It's also interesting to see that size of the video is 720x480 which is DVD resolution if I remember correctly. So far none of the other files will dump video. Encrypted I guess.

[edit] Elecard will demux all the videos.

I'm playing around now to see if I can manage to encode an h264 video and mess around enough to get it to play from an emulated UMD. I have already tried ripping out the main movie, changing some filenames around and emulating the UMD. Start the movie and you get the one of the previews playing instead. Maybe this will spark some video experts grey matter into finding the correct headers and stuff to add the the h264 video to get it to play...
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

frame.jpg  
    Last edited by hexperience; 10-05-2005 at 06:47 PM

Thumbs Up

Nice Work HEX.... sounds like your on the verge of beating this thing... keep us updated!

Hey there, does anyone know if there is currently any way to play UMD movie rips?

Just curious, this may have been asked before. I trawled the forum but could not see a definite answer.

Thanx

all you have to do is, load the iso in UMD emulator 8c system menu mode and then play the umd like it was in the drive from the main menu

i don't think this works as i have tried this on many movies.

actually it does work for me man try these settings, also you need a 2gb stick

>ISO emulation mode - system menu
    >Disctype ISO - video
    >Disctype UMD - game (if you have UMD Game in UMDDrive) or video surprisingly if you have UMD Movie in UMDDrive )
    >Updater icon - remove
    >Use boot.bin - on
    >Region overdrive - on
    >All "Regioncode ..." - regionfree

then launch you .iso movie, and it will take you back to the main dash, then just go to movie/umd it should start playing!

hope this helps someone, alot of people dont realize you can play umd movie isos

Hi there, can someone confirm this actually works? I honestly did not think it was as easy at this?

Mark

im guessin your using a cf adapter of some sort? I have a sony 2gb and about 25 movies, never seen it even stutter. Also I think the memory access led is turned off when watching a movie "umd" because while watching them from the stick it doesnt even blink...

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News