Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question Watch AVC encoded files with older firmware?

Sponsored Links
    I just encoded some files to AVC format using PSP 9 and I could not watch it? Is there a possible way to watch it? Thank you for your reply.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    umm... why not re-encode in a format your psp can play... just seems pretty obvious to me.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    better PQ without updating your psp firmware.

Currently there is no way to play AVC on anything less than 2.0 firmware.

Quicktime 7 will play it on your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by hexperience
    Currently there is no way to play AVC on anything less than 2.0 firmware.

Quicktime 7 will play it on your PC.
    Actually there is, if you do your homework like most things in life

No re-encoding is necessary (such as PSP Video 9, etc.) for an .MP4 to play properly on your 1.5 firmware! So, to keep it a pretty simple and straight forward process for us, first we need to have a file structure in place on our memory sticks. Sony has pre-made this file structure for us along with a sample .MP4 video, and our key to the 1.5, its .THM video thumbnail file. This can be downloaded [Register or Login to view links].

Once you have downloaded and extracted that zipped file, you can then simply drag and drop it to your main folder on your PSP memory stick. This newly created directory structure for videos should look something like this:

F:\MP_ROOT\100MNV01

The 100MNV01 folder is where you will drag and drop all of your .MP4/.THM files. All of the .MP4/.THM files you place in this folder will need to be renamed to start with "MV4" if they are not already named that way. For example, the .MP4 in the sample file downloaded above is named "M4VC0099.MP4", and its matching thumbnail is named "M4VC0099.THM". Now, the key to the 1.5 firmware is the need for this paired file to the .MP4, named .THM. Without this file you wonít be able view/select your movie on your PSP.

If you have a "lone" .MP4 file without its matching .THM, this may leave you feeling a bit out of luck, but all you need to do is have an actual .THM handy from any other .MP4/.THM pair you have access to, such as the sample one previously downloaded above. Simply rename the .THM file to the same name as your "lone" .MP4 and youíll be set! For instance, if the "lone" .MP4 you have is named "MV4STARWARS1.MP4", rename the .THM you have to match it, "MV4STARWARS1.THM". The thumbnail image you look at when browsing your PSP wonít visually match your .MP4, but the description of the .MP4 will be correct and the .MP4 will play when selected, which is all we care about, right?! Hopefully your .MP4ís will have this matching .THM file already included, but if not, this should do the trick for now - enjoy!

umnn... nice tutorial, but the question was about an avc file, not an mp4. And no you don't need the .thm file as the psp has it's own default icon for an .mp4 without its own .thm. My PSP is a 1.50 and I'm loking at an .mp4 as I type this, with no .thm file whatsoever on my memory stick.

Quote Originally Posted by machinecode
    Actually there is, if you do your homework like most things in life
    I did... did you?

actually i was answering the question, the thread says how do you play avc without version 2.0 firmware and thats the way you do it

Quote Originally Posted by machinecode
    actually i was answering the question, the thread says how do you play avc without version 2.0 firmware and thats the way you do it
    No, it isn't... but thanx for your time!

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News