Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question To ohm or not to ohm... that is the question?

Sponsored Links
    Hi, is it safe to check the resistance when installing mod chips such as the dms4 lite?

I've put the chip in but, nothing really seems to happen when I try to play back ups (regular games play ok) it goes to the browser/configuration screen then eventually the red screen, so maybe I missed somthing or a connection came loose?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    did you flash the mod chip with the toxic bios cause you need to flash it in order to play backups . . .

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Holy crap now that you mention it I sure didn't...never new I had to?! Wow thanks I pick it up flash it then see how it goes. Let ya know thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Umm I'm not too sure if I'm doing this right...I burned the cue for the bios I got from the official DMS site and I get the red screen. Do I have to use a special loader or is there something wrong with the installation???

I couldn't find a place to download the toxic OS for DMS 4 Lite version?

Quote Originally Posted by breeneyes
    Umm I'm not too sure if I'm doing this right...I burned the cue for the bios I got from the official DMS site and I get the red screen. Do I have to use a special loader or is there something wrong with the installation???
    From the DMS forums:
    Symptom: RSOD while booting upgrade disc
    Problem: Installation with modchip was fine, in this case the problem was actually the burnt upgrade CD-R. The upgrade image was not written correctly resulting in corrupt data on the CD-R.
    Solution: Make sure you use up-to-date burning software, which knows how to handle BIN/CUE images (2352bytes/sector). We recommend Nero. This is a common problem, please make sure your burning software can handle the cd images properly!

Problem: Wires were not secured properly so when the console was put back together the C wire (for the EJECT signal) was damaged. This means the modchip will never have known that a new disc was put in, so when the upgrade CD-R was inserted re-authentication would not have taken places resulting in a RSOD.
    Solution: We replaced the C wire and secured all the wires properly before re-assembling the console. Everything worked perfectly after this.

Problem: The person who originally installed the modchip had mixed up the O and Q points on the chip, connecting O from the PS2 to Q on the chip.
    Solution: Once we connected the O wire to the correct point on the modchip it worked perfectly. PLEASE people, make sure you don't mix these two up. It might be a bit confusing since the O and Q look similar - O is next to A, Q is in between P and R.

Problem: Bad solder joint on 3.3v (A) on PS2 motherboard. Its possible that with a bad 3.3v connection BIOS patching will still work ok but CDVD authentication will not.
    Solution: Once the 3.3v point was re-soldered, everything worked fine.
    Most of the time, people just record the uprade disc incorrectly by recording the CUE and BIN files to a recordable disc instead of recording the CUE/BIN as a disc image. Your ToxicBIOS 1.3 upgrade disc should look like the following:
    Code:
     Volume in drive D is TOXIC
     Volume Serial Number is 8FF8-6736

Directory of D:\

03/29/2005  01:00                57 SYSTEM.CNF
    03/28/2005  22:52           170,268 TB_UPG13.ELF
    12/01/2001  21:04        29,295,974 ZZZ.ZZZ
                   3 File(s)     29,466,299 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

I couldn't find a place to download the toxic OS for DMS 4 Lite version?
    And you never will. ToxicOS (0.3 is the latest version) is for DMS4 Pro and DMS4 E.Z.I. Pro. ToxicBIOS (1.3 is the latest version) is for DMS4 Lite and DMS4 E.Z.I. Lite. Discussion of download locations for these are not allowed on the forums, but are perfectly fine through email, IM, or in our [Register or Login to view links] channel.

Exclamation

Yes I used nero to burn the cue in this case as an image, so the disc matched what you had.

It's a version 1 playstation2 so I don't think the c wire on the eject was damaged.

Also should I use a multi-meter to double check wire connections and what settings would you recommend??

Yes I used nero to burn the cue in this case as an image, so the disc matched what you had.

It's a version 1 playstation2 so I don't think the c wire on the eject was damaged.
    In that case, it's probably just because you used crappy media. Use a different brand (better quality) CD-R and see how that works.
    Also should I use a multi-meter to double check wire connections and what settings would you recommend??
    Yes, you can use a multimeter to check your soldering. Just use the resistance/connectivity setting. If your multimeter has multiple resistance/connectivity settings, use the highest Ω (ohm) setting it has. When you check each connection, a reading of zero is good and a reading of infinity is not.

Also, make sure you've used the appropriate length and thickness for each of the wires. All connections except for power and ground should be #30 AWG (preferred) or #32 AWG Kynar or wire wrap wire. The power and ground connections should be #20 AWG (preferred) or #22 AWG of the same type, and should also be as short as practically possible.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News