Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

How do I use a memory stick with PS2?

Sponsored Links
    Hi, I'm new to the boards. I've seen lots of information abour .elf files nand how they are addons for PS2, and they are run with a memory stick. It is just a standard mem stick, or do you need some sort of adapter? A Step-By-Step tutorial would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    ELF files are basically executable files for the PS2. The ELF files can be stored in the following locations:
    • Optical disc (CD or DVD)
    • PS2 memory card
    • "Common" partition on the PS2 HDD (hard disk drive)
    • USB device such as a flash drive or a memory card reader

There are also several methods to access and run these ELF files once you have them transferred to one of the above locations.
    • PS2 Independence Day Memory Card Exploit: Initially runs a BOOT.ELF file from the PS2 memory card, but that BOOT.ELF can be one of many front-end launchers or applications that can run other ELF files from an optical disc, memory card, HDD, or USB device.
    • Action Replay MAX EVO Edition: Can boot ELF files from the memory card or USB device. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it can boot ELF files from the PS2 HDD as well.
    • Swap Magic 3.6: Specially made to boot ELF files from optical discs. (How do you think we get games to run?) Can boot specifically-named ELF files from a USB device.
    • Modchip: Certain modchips have "dev modes" that allow booting ELF files from optical disc, memory card, HDD, or USB device.

There may be some other methods of storing and booting ELF files as well, but this is a broad explanation. Your specific question about using "memory sticks" would be covered under storing and booting ELF files from a USB device, that is, a USB memory stick reader with a memory stick inserted.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    yeah, but what sorts of applications can i run onm y ps2 using these elf files?

Here is a list of prog for the ps2:

PS2 Key Launcher & Launch.ELF thread: with this progs. you can lauch .elf files form mc or HD like Rook said.

MCManager v0.1 thread with this prog you can backup your MC to the HD read the thread for more nfo.

HD Advance Disc & MC (BOOT.ELF) thread now you have to know what this is . . . you can extract the .elf file from the .bin image and put it on you MC or HD and launch it with key launcher or launch.elf

ExecFTPs release thread this one is to creat a ftp server on your ps2 to tranfer .elf files ps2 MC or HD and you can do backups of your ps2 saves files on your PC

This are just a few of .elf files that the ps2 can use using the proper launcher. . .

"Swap Magic 3.6: Specially made to boot ELF files from optical discs. (How do you think we get games to run?) Can boot specifically-named ELF files from a USB device."

What are the specific files names to get it to boot off USB? I have a MyFlash 256MB thumb drive and it doesn't boot any ELFs. When I power on my PS2 the USB drive flashes for a second then SM 3.6 boots and that's it.

Cool

Ps2 dvd games don`t work good off a usb external hdd on ps2 consoles (bigger cased ones) as the transfer rate is to slow,even though your hdd enclosure may be usb 2.0 your ps2 usb port is only usb 1.1 and to slow as the game freezes and skips and is slow also,it`s not worth it to run it that way,only ps2 cd-based games work good on a external hdd hooked to a ps2.

I have tried all of this and it was kinda a bummer so i had to get a N/A and put the hdd into the ps2 and it works great now,these external hdds work better on a pstwo slim console for ps2 dvd games.

Registered User speedyfernandes's Avatar
    no offense supermod but i got alot of dvd based game sworking off of my usb extre,e the only thing is the beinging movie is chopy but aside from that its all good...i got these games working.

got smack down vs raw 2006 working off of usb extreme
    Black Hawk Down
    ESPN Track&Field
    FIFA Street
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    GTA III
    Madden 2006
    MLB Slugfest 2004
    MVP 2003
    NBA Street Volume 1
    NHL 2006
    Pro Evolution Soccer 4
    Rumble Roses
    Smack Down Vs. Raw 2006
    Sonic Heroes
    SSX Tricky (Original)
    Street Fighter EX3
    Tiger Woods 2006
    Winning Eleven 7

but refering back to my ther post is there suchand elf called usb extreme...i think i remmebr seeing it but not downloading it if ther is can you point my in the right direction of downloading it since id prefer those since not everyone has a network adapter, and people are lazy tog o buy one.......

Smile

Hey no problem... if it works for you which might work differant on certain models of the ps2 is good to hear,but should work better on a slimline pstwo, as i never said it didn`t work at all it just doesn`t work that good,my v7 ps2 with a usb external hdd connected to it didn`t work very well in cinema`s and gameplay with all the games i tried as it would skip and freeze for a sec or two and then continue and would do this all along in the game and i find it wasn`t good playing a game that way for myself anyways.Also what version is your ps2 you are using with the usb external hdd?

And i`m not sure but the usb extreme elf file might be a (c)opyright file,so i kinda don`t want to get into that...sorry.

But i am getting off the topic of this thread as there is a USB Extreme thread already started and i will be posting in that thread after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xak
    What are the specific files names to get it to boot off USB? I have a MyFlash 256MB thumb drive and it doesn't boot any ELFs. When I power on my PS2 the USB drive flashes for a second then SM 3.6 boots and that's it.
    I experience the same problem. Although I put the ELF file into a directory called SWAPMAGIC and rename the file to SWAPMAGIC.ELF... It flashes, then SM 3.6 tries to boot but crashes.

You might have to put a USBD.IRX file from a ps2 game but find one were the size is under 30kbs as if it is over that size in most cases it doesn`t work,put this USBD.IRX file in the same directory as your elf,but have this directory on you mc as this file is for enabling usb devices with some programs unless this doesn`t work with SM.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News