Today the PS3 Modified Firmware homebrew application dubbed PS3MFW Builder has been updated to version 0.2, which now includes PlayStation 3 version spoofing, custom PS3 startup sounds, PS3 demo/shop to retail unit conversion support and the ability to install MFW on consoles with broken Blu-ray drives.
Download: PS3MFW Builder v0.2 for PS3
/ PS3MFW Builder v0.2 for PS3 (Mirror)
/ PS3MFW Builder v0.2 (Portable Win32) for PS3
/ PS3MFW v0.2 Gitbrew 8-1-11 Tasks (Intel)
(MAC OSX) / PS3MFW v0.2 PPC OsX Gitbrew 8-1-11 Tasks
(MAC OSX) / http://git-hacks.com/ps3mfw / http://git-hacks.com/ps3free/ps3tools
To quote: This new version of PS3MFW Builder has a lot of improvements over the previous one, with many changes, among which a new privacy task which prevents the big bad wolf from spying on you as well as an exclusive way to turn a Shop PS3 into a retail one.
There are also added tasks that give much more customization power to the user, we'll let you read the release notes after the break for a detailed breakdown of the new tasks made available. The important part is the core of the PS3MFW Framework which now allows tasks to have a bit more control on how the GUI should show the their configuration, and a new set of APIs for RCO file manipulation.
We've also heard that the bug the previous version had with the "Save Game Data" not showing USB devices has been fixed, which should please most of you.
An updated version of the ps3tools will be needed though, and we're sure that there will soon be an easy to use installer for everyone.
We've also heard that work has already started towards a version 0.3, but we couldn't get any more information than that.
Here are the Release Notes of the 0.2 release:
Today we are proud to present our second official release, PS3MFW Builder v0.2. Just as the previous release, v0.2 is intended for firmwares 3.10 and above. Extensive testing of the framework and tasks has been successful with all versions above 3.10, the majority of tasks are also successful below 3.10. PS3MFW Builder v0.2 contains many new features that further improve usability.
For this new version, PS3MFW Builder and the tasks have been moved to seperate repositories on git-hacks.com. Builder 0.2 adds new functions to aid in the creation of tasks, with 2 bug fixes. For programmers, the new core offers more flexibility for tasks and allows to manipulate the user interface better.
Furthermore, several exciting new tasks have been created. The most interesting one is a new privacy patch, which keeps PS3 from sending personally identifiable information to many configurable domain names: After jailbreak became available for PS3, reverse engineers discovered that the PS3 collects a multitude of personal information without your knowledge, such as such as your TV model, a list of all usb devices (including product IDs) you ever plugged into your PS3, usage statistics, which games and media you play and more.
The Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) specifically allows for consumers to circumvent technological protection measures in order to protect their privacy. Even though there was little doubt concerning the legality of PS3MFW Builder before because it in itself does not circumvent any technological protection measures, this new feature makes using it inside the USA fully DMCA compliant.
Additionally, PS3MFW Builder v0.2 allows for several new customizations, including a firmware version spoofer, a way to edit the look and sound of the boot sequence by inserting your own coldboot files, and a task to replace the default "Airbush" XMB theme.
Now it can also create modified firmwares that can be installed on PS3s with broken Blu-Ray drives as well as create firmwares that can convert demo (kiosk/shop) units into regular retail PS3s! A bug that prevented USB storage devices from being shown under Game Data Utility was fixed.
The new PS3MFW Builder v0.2 and tasks can be found at http://www.git-hacks.com/ps3mfw
To use PS3MFW Builder, the following is needed:
- The latest version of ps3tools (not older than 25 March 2011), found on git-hacks.com
- Tcl/Tk 8.5 (http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.5.tml)
- rcomage for some tasks
There is also a new repository on git-hacks dedicated to the PS3MFW tasks and, judging from its README file, the following are available to use with PS3MFW Builder v0.2:
BREAKDOWN OF ALL NEW TASKS
- patch_privacy.tcl - PS3 collects a large amount of personal information while it's operating. Additionally personal information is sent to many domain names when internet access is enabled (unrelated to PSN access). This task prevents PS3 from sending any data to the domain names you select.
- broken_bluray.tcl - Allows you to remove Blu-Ray firmware installation so that the MFW can be installed without a working Blu-Ray drive. This is potentially dangerous if used on a PS3 with a working drive, and should only be used if the drive is broken.
- spoof_version.tcl - Allows changing the firmware version the PS3 appears to be on, similar to the rebug spoofer.
- change_coldboot_files.tcl - Advanced users only: Allows changing the sound played and image shown during the boot process. Caution: If improper files are used, this can cause a "brick".
- change_ssl_cer.tcl - Allows changing of SSL certificates.
- change_theme.tcl - Can be used to replace the default "Airbrush" theme with another theme file (.p3t format).
- patch_shop.tcl - Creates firmware to transform demo PS3s (the units used in stores) into full retail PS3s, without the need for service mode!
More PlayStation 3 News