Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 Custom Firmware (CFW) Validator Application is Released

Sponsored Links
    Today PlayStation 3 developers Grimm and Berion have released a PS3 Custom Firmware (CFW) Validator homebrew application for those seeking to check and validate the integrity of PS3 CFW / MFW PUP files downloaded from the Internet.

Download: [Register or Login to view links] / [Register or Login to view links] / [Register or Login to view links] (Required)

From the included ReadMe file, to quote: Custom Firmware Validator is a program designed mainly for veryfing downloaded or manually patched firmwares for PS3. This aplication compares checksums from the database with those which are being calculated on the currently open file.

If at least one would match, the following things will appear: the name of the firware and its short description, the option to show the list of additional functions and the option to visit the author's webpage, also one could copy a file onto USB with the proper directory stuctrure and its name (PS3, PSP, PSV).

Databases are external, written in the stardard XML and UTF-8 coded, so everyone can edit them and propose any possible corrections, what we encourage you to do.

We prepared three different bases for the program (the one for PS3 is loaded by default, but one can choose others from the option menu):
    • The first one for PS3 (currently with all CFW/OFW (*.pup) and upadate packages *.pkg for Rebug and TB dongle).
    • The other ones function as examples and need to be completed.

Please be advised: in order for Custom Firmware Validator to work properly Microsoft .NET Framework 4 at least ver. 4.0 is required. the program works on windows 7 - was not tested on XP, Vista or 8 (Developers/Consumers Preview).

Notes:
    • You cannot write to your console false/fake firmware. In first days of CFW on PS3, many linked higher OFW as CFW and some people have been screwed. ;] This application protect you from such situation.
    • You cannot misleading one CFW with another, modified by someone else than author of CFW. This application gave you confidence that scan CFW is the release CFW, not modified by someone else.
    • You can transfer OFW/CFW directly to your USB device. It even detect if fs is FAT32 but not only! Also detect if this FAT32 is on MBR (which is only one suppoert by PS3) or GPT and other not supported by PS3 table format.
    • You can go to authors webpage if it's linked.
    • You can take more user friendly information about scanned firmware (like properly working Trophy system, Cinavia DRM patched, protecting from ACT.DAT deleting etc.).

All of this in one simple app with (I hope) interesting user interface.

CFV (Custom Firmware Validator) support keyboard shortcuts:
    • open file - ctrl+o
    • exit app - ctrl+e
    • fw info - ctrl+i
    • fw transfer - ctrl+u
    • web page - ctrl+w

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Do you plan to make databases updates?
    A: Yes, but only the one for PS3. In this aspect we count on the community's involvement. ;]

Q: Do you plan to release program updates?
    A: Sure, but it depends on whether the submitted errors could be verified and whether we have ideas for new functions.

Q: What checksums are generated and will you add new in the future?
    A: CRC32 (CRC32b), MD5, SHA1, SHA2-224, SHA2-256, SHA2-386 and SHA2-512. In future, probably SHA3. Others not, for the time being.

Q: Can I use CFV in order to generate checksums from other files than consoles' firmware?
    A: Yes, basically the source of no importance, because the program reads descriptions and checksums which can be freely edited and picked from the options menu.

Q: Is CFV legal?
    A: Yes, it is, it doesn't contain any keys/hashes used to sign files.

Q: Could I modify my console using the program?
    A: Nah...

Grimm, Berion
    @2012

More PlayStation 3 News...

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Oh good, this is just what we need, going to test it out.

Anything which is not recognised out puts "Installation of this firmware can damage your hardware." I like the concept of the program. But any new FW or custom FW will have to be tested by someone and then put into the database and shared with everyone. Rogero V2 comes out as dangerous.

But on the other hand it's good to have a verifier which can tell you If the .pup is the CFW you think it is
    Last edited by ps3hen; 03-08-2012 at 05:48 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Verification-Software is always great ! They should definitely integrate such app in an CFW-Builder.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Good idea, but have my reservations - might take a look if/when i have time.

Personally i'd look for the CFW authors reputation, then check the hash using HashMyFiles from nirsoft - but i guess this could be useful

this is good idea thanks!

Verifiers are always handy, but like said above the CFW authors reputation alone is one thing too look for, and he can also post his links, and checksums, as they should anyway.

I don't think Rogero is dangerous, and in any new homebrew/software released, there can/will be bugs.

Not bad. For who is going to play with a CFW to the next one, is pretty handy. Expecially for a newbie scared to download some trash/trap.

Banned User
    I mean the program tells me Rogero v2 is dangerous (but that is only because it is not in the database), I know it is not dangerous, as I had used it every time I downgraded, when I could downgrade that is.

Like I said I see no point in this. It does nothing at all for the scene.

Banned User
    This HAS all the right reasons to be released and shared with the "scene".

You sir do not speak for the whole scene OR forums, thus your opinion is invalid because we don't give a crap about what you think.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast