Ok here’s the step by step guide I promised earlier: here I’ll explain the exact steps I followed to make my own cpk work. Even someone new to computers should be able to follow this.
1) Download both JP and US version of the game. also quickbms and the edited unpack script (original unpack script can be found in same site as quickbms).
2) Venture in \PS3_GAME\USRDIR of both versions and copy “rootR.cpk” of us and jp version in one folder (ex: C:\mix) . Rename the jp rootR to “rootR_JP.cpk” and the us rootR to “rootR_US.cpk”. Make two folders inside “C:\mix” name them “us_files” and “jp_files”. Extract and copy cpkcr.exe in C:\mix (if you’re getting “libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll” error. google and download the dll then put it in the same folder as cpkcr.exe). also put the “rootR_mixed.txt” in C:\mix.
3) Now run quickbms in the window that opens. First open the “cpk_nds.bms” (edited unpack script), then rootR_JP.cpk and lasltly go in “jp_files” folder and press save. Repeat this process but this time with rootR_US.cpk and “us_files” folder.
4) Now copy the “snd” and “sys” folder from “jp_files” into “us_files”.
5) Go in start->run . write “cmd” and enter. In the window that opens write the drive letter of your folder like so “C:” then write the full path like so “cd C:\mix”. Then write “cpkcr –f rootR_JP.cpk –d us_files –l rootR_mixed.txt –v” wait until everything’s done. Rename the rootR_JP.cpk to “rootR.cpk”
6) (optional) use the original unpack script cpk.bms to extract the rootR.cpk you just made. If it gives no errors, you’re good.
7) Copy the map0R.cpk and map1R.cpk from USRDIR of us version and overwrite the ones in jp version (make a backup first). Also overwrite the rootR.cpk that is in jp version with the one you just made (again don’t forget the backup). Also overwrite the eboot.bin with the one you downloaded.
And that’s it , your game should run perfectly. very few things are not translated. And also after battle victory cries and the cut scenes that come up with select are English (makes you realize how bad the voices are xD) . Also seems like the map.cpk files should be edited for the post game dungeon. I’ll update later on if needed. For now I hope this helps the most basic of users to be able to enjoy the undubbed game.
And lastly , Sorry if it all seems too obvious or no help at all. I tried to be helpful on my part.
All the files and info are thanks to mamu and souls (who gave me the eboot and edited unpack script). I just simplified the steps I took so no one else would get stuck for a few hours like I did
. Download the eboot from souls post and cpkcr.exe from mamu’s. I attached the edited unpack script and the rootR_mixed.txt (the one I used).