Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

3.55 Kmeaw shuts down after 30 seconds

Sponsored Links
    Hey all,

I have a faulty 80GB unit that I am hoping you can help me with. I bought it from eBay as the seller said that the only thing wrong with it was the blu-ray FFC cable was broken. In actual fact, the connector on the mobo was broken. So I replaced this and proceeded.

The console powers up, reads the HDD, waits for a bit, reads the HDD again and then shuts down. It does not load the recovery menu, it beeps twice, but then shuts down after reading the HDD the second time. Examination of the 80GB HDD revealed a single NTFS partition which I removed and deleted the MBR.

I obtained an E3 Reader (as a member on here said they had success with consoles in a similar state). When inserted, the E3 turns blue, but then undergoes the same symptoms outlined above. I've tried various firmwares and Lv2diag's all with no change whatsoever.

I've recently found out from the seller, that it has/had 3.55 Kmeaw on it.

Is there anything I can do, or without the HDD (as this has been completely erased) is it done-for?
    Last edited by zetski210; 06-19-2011 at 08:45 PM Reason: include information regarding recovery menu

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yeah he's probably lying and it's not kmeaw but a waninkoko v1 brick, sounds done for to me.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If it were a flash/firmware issue, you would get the Yellow Light of Death or the Flashing Red Light of Death. Since it appears that you don't have either of those issues, I would say that the fault is the hard drive. The PS3 uses a unique FAT-X Filesystem - and since the filesystem that you wiped was NTFS, there is no way that the PS3 could have natively read it, and, consequently, not boot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sony implemented a 'no hot-swap' in the 3.50+ firmware so that you can't swap out the stock hard drive; therefore, I am unsure where to go from here. If this statement isn't true, however, you can simply format that 80 GB hard drive on a different PS3 and insert it into your faulty one. That would be the most logical solution.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadamose View Post
    If it were a flash/firmware issue, you would get the Yellow Light of Death or the Flashing Red Light of Death...
    No yellow light appears.
    ...the filesystem that you wiped was NTFS, there is no way that the PS3 could have natively read it, and, consequently, not boot...
    Yeah, I figured it was not supposed to be NTFS, hence why I wiped the HDD.
    ...Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sony implemented a 'no hot-swap' in the 3.50+ firmware so that you can't swap out the stock hard drive; therefore, I am unsure where to go from here. If this statement isn't true, however, you can simply format that 80 GB hard drive on a different PS3 and insert it into your faulty one. That would be the most logical solution.
    This was going to be my next step, I have another console with the firmware released after the PSN came back online, I'll try and format in this console tonight and see how I go.

yeah it's not the harddrive otherwise you could turn it on without it and it'd say to replace it, i'm still convinced it's a brick though feel free to keep trying but the guy that had it before obviously sold it because he couldn't fix it.

Also you can't format the HDD in 1 PS3 then use it in another, the HDD filesystem is encrypted.

Given the HDD had only one NTFS partition it's pretty safe to assume the previous owner couldn't get it to work either as if the PS3 ever did successfully boot even with a NTFS HDD inside, it'd just format it.

It could be the firmware bug that doesn't allow the HDD to be upgraded but that doesn't affect any CFW versions that I'm aware of and even if it is that problem there's no fix for that either without the original HDD with original formatting (as the HDD is encrypted using a unique key to each PS3). It's bricked.
    Last edited by barrybarryk; 06-19-2011 at 10:49 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Forgot to mention that I have tried using the other console's original 40GB HDD and it still does the same thing. One interesting point, if the HDD is removed after the first read, but before the second, the console stays on.

So, if it is in fact a waninkoko v1 brick, does the fix that involves fiddling with the flash ICs actually work (see http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-gu...es-116966.html)? Doing this is not a major problem for me, I just need to identify what the ICs that store the firmware are and make a small PCB.

Question is, is it worth it? Spoke to Sony (Aus) and they said $250 to fix it with 3-month warranty.

I also believe its what Barry said about the last user, but don't worry you can fix it 100%. Because you have a E3 reader.

I have bricked my ps3's now over 9 times, I kid you not, and the reason for this is I love trying things out, and believe it or not I have just bricked another one lol as I type this post with a linux project, but it so easy to fix as long as you never go over 3.55 and you work with known safe tools and pups.

Try this bud, When the light turns blue quickly remove the ac power, don't let the ps3 hard drive come on as it will not work. then downgrade to 3.41cfw, then upgrade to 3.50ofw (this is a must) then upgrade to 3.55 ofw and lastly install Geo's 3.55 patch or rebug.

The power removal timing is impotent, and the 3.50 ofw before 3.55 ofw also.

Any other help needed, just ask.

Good luck..

Something I forgot to add is, if you downgrade to 3.41 and wish to stay there, then downgrade again to 3.15 ofw and then backup to 3.41 ofw and jailbreak, or create your own 3.41 cfw like many of us are doing now.
    Last edited by daveshooter; 06-20-2011 at 01:34 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

OK, but I have a couple of questions:

- For the E3, what *.bin file do I use? I have a couple, but I've been using one called "downgrade.bin".
    - To do the downgrades, I guess I use a USB with the appropriate fw (in the root dir), but for each firmware change, do I need an lv2diag file on the drive also? If so, which ones?

PS: good thing you caught me this morning as I was about to de-solder the Samsung flash ICs and start reading what's in them

yes e3downgrade 12.03 is the right one. after the blue light and power off, plug the any usb drive in port 1 with the 3.41 downgrade pup and lv2diag file one in the root, then turn power on and then start ps3.

if it works you will see the usb light start flashing, if not you will get the green light start flashing almost straight away or it will shut down.

if it worked and you waited 10 -15 Min's for the green power lights to flash then all is well. some times it will close down on its own, if not hold power button down until it dose, don't remove power until it beeps then shuts down tho.

Then replace the lv2diag on the stick with file 2, insert power up and let it shut down, then power up and it should work with your new firmware, there is a remote chance it may not work 1st time but don't worry, what ever your ps3 throws at you, trust me I've had.

sorry i rushed this as I have to pop out, let me know how your getting on and I will pop back and see when i get back. good luck bud, may the force be with you.

Cheers, I'll give it a try tonight as I'm at work atm.

Thanks for your help, but I tried it several times without success. However!! I have managed to get the recovery screen up after putting file2 on a USB, powering on and letting it switch off. Then, holding the power button down activated recovery mode.

So I've put 3.55OFW on a USB and it's now checking it...
    Last edited by zetski210; 06-21-2011 at 09:00 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News