Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Video: Inserting PS3 Game Disc in PS4, PlayStation 4 Compatibility

Sponsored Links
    Following up on Sony's Ultimate PS4 FAQ which states PS4 does not feature backward compatibility, today we have some pictures and a video of what exactly happens when inserting a PS3 game disc in the PlayStation 4 console.

To quote: With the arrival of the next generation of gaming hardware in the PS4 and XBox One, it's also clear that plenty of people will be holding onto their older consoles, and just as obvious that developers will continue to make games for these legacy systems for a long while yet.

But what if you're looking to blend the past and future by jamming a game from the last gen into one of your new consoles? We've got the answers.

As a test, we took a PS3 game - Mirror's Edge, obviously. Here it is. And oh so delicately, so as not to frighten anyway, inserted it into our shiny new PS4.

The menu pop-up was less than reassuring. And the result even less so.

This doesn't come as any surprise, backwards compatibility was never supposed to be a part of the PS4 ecosystem and at least in this case the console identifies the fact that it's a PS3 disc, unlike the XBox One which merely dismisses the data of its older sibling.

The PS4 is already out in North America, and available in Ireland and the UK from the 29th of November, 2013.

More PlayStation 4 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    What about PS2 and PS1 games? Might as well check them all.

So it'll have digital only support for the older games? That sucks having to buy your favorite games multiple times.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    According to Sony none of them work on PS4 except for a few digital PSN versions, however, I've heard that a PS4 Firmware update in 2014 may remedy this issue to a degree... time will tell.

Dont forget they always go back on their word and dont give features they promised so I doubt they will add any backwards compatibility except for digital versions as they want you to pay again and again.

I'm betting even the digital versions will probably be new versions to so even if you already own a digital version of a game you will have to purchase the PS4 version of the same game.

I heard the ps4 disc has a pkg file for the whole game if true can you put a ps3 pkg file on a disc and see if it will load

Maybe the hacker team can try to test PS4 for PS3 backup on it just like Wii U with vWii backup ? Who knows.

Well Sony did spend years (and a fortune) developing their PS1 and PS2 software emulators for the PS3, I'd be surprised if they just abandoned those projects instead of trying to port them over at some point. The work not being completed yet also kind of explains the lack of classics on PSN for the PS4.

PS3 is no chance, if their Gaikai tech works there's a chance they might let you use a PS3 retail disc to authenticate access to the streaming version of the game. Much like they do with their "Upgrade" titles. I wouldn't hold my breath though, Gaikai sounds very expensive for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was behind a paywall

Can't believe they are already being called legacy consoles

All 3 are different architectures (PS4 and Xbone are x86-64 like PCs, which is a good thing all around). But I don't understand why Sony didn't include PS1 and PS2 support through emulation. PS2 emulation takes a powerful PC but that's with an emulator that has a lot of things coded at a high level rather than low and uses only 2 cores.

Sony's PS2 emulator would be far more efficient and make use of all the available cores (apparently 6, 2 reserved for the OS). I heard a rumor that the PS4's Bluray drive can't even read CDs.

If it's true then I'd imagine the reason they don't support PS1 and PS2 games through emulation is to force people to buy those games on PSN rather than use their original discs. There is really no other reason.

But these are both emulation. I get what you're saying but surely since there are no PS1 or PS2 classics for PS4 yet isn't that kind of telling enough that their emulator isn't ready yet?

They also never really finished their PS2 emulator, it still has lots of compatibility problems so in its current state I doubt we'll be seeing a release of that which works with retail discs.

I don't really think Sony are afraid people will just run out and buy old PS1 and PS2 games over the classics on PSN, most people really aren't interested in collecting old physical games, especially when the download prices are reasonable.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News