Today Zeboyd Games Lead Designer Robert Boyd announced that Retro Sci-fi RPG Cosmic Star Heroine is coming to PS4 and PS Vita alongside VVVVVV to PlayStation Vita as well.

To quote: We here at the two-man development studio known as Zeboyd Games are pleased to announce that our next RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, will be coming out on PS4 and PS Vita next year! And to go along with that announcement, here's our Sega-CD inspired opening video for our game! Enjoy!

A very special thanks to Dean Dodrill (Dust: An Elysian Tail) who helped out with effects and animation, as well as Chris Geehan and Dan Byrne-McCullough over at Hyperduck (who did the music for our last RPG) for helping make that video go to 11! And of course, our own Bill Stiernberg, who handled the brunt of the work!

Cosmic Star Heroine is our latest attempt to recapture the feel of some of the classic RPGs of the 90s, while putting our own unique spin on the whole experience. Inspired by games like Chrono Trigger (visual style, on-map battles, combo techniques), the Phantasy Star series (overall feel of the worlds and characters), and the Suikoden series (political intrigue, expandable player headquarters), we can't wait to share Cosmic Star Heroine with you!

So who is the titular Cosmic Star Heroine?

Alyssa L'Salle! She's one of the galactic government's top agents, and has saved the galaxy more than once! But when she accidentally uncovers a dark conspiracy, her own government outs her as a legendary spy and the people's champion! Sure, now she has hordes of adoring fans, but every villainous organization she's ever crossed in her career knows who she is and is out for her blood! Can she save the day once more while she faces her greatest challenge... everyone!?

But she won't have to go it alone! No, she'll be leading a bizarre group of "heroes" into battle.

We've made several RPGs in the past (Cthulhu Saves the World, Breath of Death VII, Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 & 4), but we're really stepping up our ambition with Cosmic Star Heroine. A deeper story, meticulously balanced play, a brain-melting soundtrack from Hyperduck, glorious 16-bit-esque pixel art, and much more await you!

And that means we need your help! We'll be running a Kickstarter to raise needed development funds to make Cosmic Star Heroine the best "Shoulda been released in the 90s" RPG ever! And thanks to the good people at Sony, we'll be able to offer cross-buy (buy once, get both versions!) PS4/Vita PSN codes for Cosmic Star Heroine at the low reward tier of $10! And of course, there'll be plenty of other cool rewards if you choose to donate more!

Look for more news, screenshots, and the Cosmic Star Heroine kickstarter in the coming weeks! In the meantime, feel free to ask us questions in the comments!

Finally, Tyrone Rodriguez of Nicalis announced that VVVVVV Coming to PS Vita, stating the following to quote:

Hello fellow Sony fans! Tyrone Rodriguez with http://www.twitter.com/nicalis, here. I've been given some time to introduce you to something vvvvvvery awesome. When last I posted on the official PlayStation.Blog, I told you a bit about 1001 Spikes on PS Vita. Today I'm going to introduce you to the incredible world of VVVVVV (pronounced like the letter "V" six times etc), coming to PS VVVVVVita!

What's this VVVVVV I speak of? Thought up by professional nice guy and game designer Terry Cavanagh, VVVVVV is a game where you'll die a lot. Yes, I know it sounds like 1001 Spikes, and I know that it has lots of spikes, but it's a totally different game. Stick with me, I promise this will be awesome.

So VVVVVV. I've never been one for spoilers, but the story goes something like this: you're Captain Viridian (like the color) and you, your ship, and your crew are stranded in some crazy alternate dimension that, of course, is in the process of imploding.

Of course it is. Your crew has been lost in this weird dimension and you're the leader; it's your job to go find them and maybe save the dimension. Maybe. That's all I'm going to give you as far as the story.

The play is where VVVVVV will really trap you and keep you hooked. There's no shooting, and there's not even a real jump button. Instead, you can move left or right, and you can invert Captain Viridian's gravity. This is the main play mechanic, and also how you'll solve puzzles and navigate through the game world.

Pressing the X button while on the ground or ceiling will cause Viridian to spontaneously ascend or descend. While airborne, Viridian can move left and right as well. It might sound like a jump, but it's not. You'll literally stick to ceilings, which will technically become the floor.

The gravity switch is an insanely awesome concept that allows for hundreds upon hundreds of clever puzzles. What you'll find after a few minutes of playing is that you need to change and redefine your perception of a platformer, and how you think and find solutions to the challenges in front of you.

You'll probably die a lot. Because of that, checkpoints are strategically placed throughout the world. And there are no lives. You basically will keep going as long as you can, as long as it takes to save Dimension VVVVVV.

While you're doing your best avoiding death and saving your companions, you can appreciate the chiptune music by Magnus Palsson.

Cosmic Star Heroine Coming to PS4, VVVVVV is Hitting PS Vita

Cosmic Star Heroine Coming to PS4, VVVVVV is Hitting PS Vita

More PlayStation 4 News...