Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 Released to the Public!

Sponsored Links
    Well...ok ok, not officially. I've been checking daily to see how everything is going, and in that regimen I started checking the servers. Turns out they added the 5.0 PS3 ISO's today or yesterday silently without notifying the public.

Get the ISO from here:
    [Register or Login to view links]

Yum repositories seem to be active as well. Good luck!

No official mirrors up as of yet, but the servers are running strong. I'm getting a solid 700KB/s!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    can we get an explanation of exactly what this means for us PS3 noobs? i've never used Linux and this is my first Sony PS platform - technically, i had a PS2 for a month or so, but i never used it.... what's the reasoning for downloading this OS?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It also allows you to play all your homebrew emulators such as MAMe, sega, nintendo, etc. It just gives an extra addon for your ps3. More information about YDl can be found [Register or Login to view links].

Yeah, Ive been most excited about what Desi mentioned plus the fact that with the right media player you can play virtually any format of video and audio on your PS3.

I even hear people are working to get USB TV tuners working on the box so that it can be a fully functioning media center. Nice.

i would have more of a reason to get rid of my modded XBOX if i could put the 1200 NES games and the 10 other systems i have installed onto the PS3, not to mention have a fully functioning media center.... i guess a gripe i have right now is that i still have to use my XBOX to play the few PAL DVDs since nothing i have, including the NTSC-only PS3, won't play them.... guess it could be worse though!

thanks for the info on the OS, i'll have a read through it when i'm not so exhausted and probably have more questions for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by GarciaM25 View Post
    i would have more of a reason to get rid of my modded XBOX if i could put the 1200 NES games and the 10 other systems i have installed onto the PS3, not to mention have a fully functioning media center.... i guess a gripe i have right now is that i still have to use my XBOX to play the few PAL DVDs since nothing i have, including the NTSC-only PS3, won't play them.... guess it could be worse though!

thanks for the info on the OS, i'll have a read through it when i'm not so exhausted and probably have more questions for everyone!
    You might want to revise that...there is no way you legally own 1200 NES games...
    And with the YDL5 I bet there is a program to rip, convert, or play the PAL DVD format

Can't wait till everything is installed. The image was downloaded at 3:00 pm my time but all of the crap that I had to do to my PS3 because I wanted a clean install (I was dumb and didn't use the kboot option - I did a full format which takes 3 hours).

Just got everything back on and I'm halfway through the installation process. I'll let everyone know if the yum repositories are pointing to the right place in the new version and everything. I would have just updated from within the system, but I kept on getting a config error message whenever I'd update and figured I'd just start with a clean install.

i already downloaded it a long time ago. i dont like it that much IF YOU DONT HAVE A HD TELEVISION WITH A LEAST 720 DONT DOWNLOAD IT TRUST ME. the installation is hell with out 720 because it has to be in text and in the end changing it to low resolution graphic requires a solid connection to the internet and a basic knowledge of linux commands.

You probably don't like it much because there really wasn't an easy way to install any additional programs on it without a ton of hassle.

I've had it since about 4 days after the first launch and tried to get VLC running on it with a bunch of codecs to no avail.

Just got back from the total installation and I'm in the exact same place that I was before - public yum repositories are still not fully functional but I expect them to be working in the next few days.

Good news though - they've fixed the "boot to game os" button in the menu to actually work so you don't have to type it into the command line.

I've had an HDTV on hand since I downloaded it so I never was able to experience the text-based installation luckily.

I'll update when I notice the repositories going online if someone else doesn't beat me to it, followed by how easy/hard it is to get multiple emulators and video formats working.

Banned User
    the only bad thing is that if you hav never used linux, its a pain in the ass to learn how to install stuff, i still cant figure out how to get the right plugins/codecs to watch the video formats i want... i hope sum1 can write a tutorial..

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News