Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Any luck getting mame working?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by krwz View Post
    Ripping from a Blu-Ray disc was much faster than I expected. 5 gigs took all but a couple of mins. No more than 10 mins it seemed but might have been much less.
    Blu Ray only 5 gig? that doesn't sound right. Even DVD9 is 8.4gig. Still, space will be an issue. Thanks for the info

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkinguyen View Post
    Blu Ray only 5 gig? that doesn't sound right. Even DVD9 is 8.4gig. Still, space will be an issue. Thanks for the info
    Ah yea well I was dumping a disc and monitoring it's progress. It was only at the 5gig mark when I ran out of hard drive space (using a 20gig ps3 10/10 parition). But when it was dumping..it was going pretty quick.

2nd PS3 has arrived (60 gig version) that i'll put Linux on as well. I was going to purchase an upgraded hard drive but i've got a couple of 200 gb usb drives sitting around that i'll try and use. Looks like I need to format them at EXT3 first though to use them for dumping so i'll need to figure that part out. Gotta learn Linux!

Ah yea well I was dumping a disc and monitoring it's progress. It was only at the 5gig mark when I ran out of hard drive space (using a 20gig ps3 10/10 parition). But when it was dumping..it was going pretty quick.

2nd PS3 has arrived (60 gig version) that i'll put Linux on as well. I was going to purchase an upgraded hard drive but i've got a couple of 200 gb usb drives sitting around that i'll try and use. Looks like I need to format them at EXT3 first though to use them for dumping so i'll need to figure that part out. Gotta learn Linux!
    Your boot OS disk is /dev/sda. So you usb disk will be /dev/sdb. So follow these steps...

fdisk /dev/sdb
    n (for new)
    p (for primary)
    enter (start at 0)
    enter (end at last bit on disk)
    wq (to save and exit

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

Done.

Your boot OS disk is /dev/sda. So you usb disk will be /dev/sdb. So follow these steps...

fdisk /dev/sdb
    n (for new)
    p (for primary)
    enter (start at 0)
    enter (end at last bit on disk)
    wq (to save and exit

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

Done.
    Thanks for the info. My problem is that 'fdisk' is an unknown command for some reason. I may just be doing something flat out wrong though.

I opened up a terminal and i'm at my root directory (or at least I think I am). When I type the fdisk command, it says something along the line of command not found. I've tried some other commands and even help and those commands work but for some reason it does not look like fdisk is available? Is this just the case for yellow dog linux and the ps3?

Another thing that I thought would be simple but has been more a headache was installing quick start buttons on the the ydl enlightenment toolbar. It comes on install with the toolbar set up (with internet / document program / excel type program )but I can't for the life of me figure out how to add additional 'quick start icons' (similar to windows xp) on the toolbar. I had accidentally deleted the 'gadget' which removed the icons but now I can't put any of the icons back.

Quite frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks for the info. My problem is that 'fdisk' is an unknown command for some reason. I may just be doing something flat out wrong though.

I opened up a terminal and i'm at my root directory (or at least I think I am). When I type the fdisk command, it says something along the line of command not found. I've tried some other commands and even help and those commands work but for some reason it does not look like fdisk is available? Is this just the case for yellow dog linux and the ps3?

Another thing that I thought would be simple but has been more a headache was installing quick start buttons on the the ydl enlightenment toolbar. It comes on install with the toolbar set up (with internet / document program / excel type program )but I can't for the life of me figure out how to add additional 'quick start icons' (similar to windows xp) on the toolbar. I had accidentally deleted the 'gadget' which removed the icons but now I can't put any of the icons back.

(fdisk)
    It should be in /sbin/fdisk. If it is not there, atttempt to find it on the install DVD and install it. Else consider using fat32 for your USB.

(quick menu)
    - left click on the desktop
    - select configuration
    - select shelves
    - select add
    - select shelf 0
    - select configure
    - in layout select center-bottom
    - select apply
    - select ok
    - select close
    - select close

Quote Originally Posted by deadsoulz View Post
    Any luck getting mame working?
    I am trying. I have gotten a hold of the 111 source code. Unfortuanately it does not have the linux section like the older releases. It does know about powerpc, but still tries to compile for windows. If I come across any solution, I will let you know.

Edit: Silly me. There is not linux source code for mame. You should use xmame. I have compiled this before and am doing it right now. This should work.

I think I have misread your comments. If you want to add your custom quick start icons, just right click inside the section where the openoffice (excel look like) icon and select configure section or something. There you should be able add more icons. Hopes this help.

(fdisk)
    It should be in /sbin/fdisk. If it is not there, atttempt to find it on the install DVD and install it. Else consider using fat32 for your USB.

(quick menu)
    - left click on the desktop
    - select configuration
    - select shelves
    - select add
    - select shelf 0
    - select configure
    - in layout select center-bottom
    - select apply
    - select ok
    - select close
    - select close
    Does it matter any that i'm not logged in as 'root' but instead used a different name? krwz@localhost

hmm ok fdisk IS there as an executable but when I try to run it through a terminal it says:

"command not found"

Here is what the line says in full:

bash: fdisk: command not found

What is bash? Sorry for the newbie questions but thanks for your help!

hmm ok fdisk IS there as an executable but when I try to run it through a terminal it says:

"command not found"

Here is what the line says in full:

bash: fdisk: command not found

What is bash? Sorry for the newbie questions but thanks for your help!
    Try this "/sbin/fdisk /dev/sdb". It seems that you do not have your PATH set up right.

Bash is a shell. Please google it. You will get a better answer than from me.

Now the fix is....

vi /root/.bashrc

...add...

PATH=$PATH:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:.

...hopes this help you.

o...you have to be root to use fdisk. That is why it is not in your path. Try logging in as root and perform my suggested commands.

Sponsored Links
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News