Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Yellow Dog 5.0 and Fedora Core 5/6?

Sponsored Links
    I just recently bought a ps3 and am wanting to load up a linux os. I know that yellow dog is considered the more official os by sony and is built around the cell processor. But my question is (because ydl is more "official") does fedora allow hacking and backing up of BD's any more so than ydl. Also, if fedora does allow more, then would core 5 or 6 be more reliable (I know newer versions usually are more reliable, but does other os system make it harder to use core 6).

I'm also new to linux entirely; all technical things I've ever done have been on Windows, and Linux is very appealing to me, so forgive me if my questions seem rudimentary. I also tried to use the search function to see if there was any other article on these forums that answered these questions, but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Unless any of them use close source software, there shouldnt be any real difference between them, they are both based on the linux kernel and gcc. which would mean that you should be able to run the same software on both.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    So what benifits would be found from using Fedora Core rather than YDL ?

Quote Originally Posted by ricopicouk View Post
    So what benifits would be found from using Fedora Core rather than YDL ?
    I'd really like to know the same thing. I guess you could always go back and install Fedora over YDL, but I'd rather do it right the first time. The biggest thing I'm looking for Linux for is the ability to dump Blu-ray discs.

Also I know that you must partion and format the HDD before installing otherOS (I'm on fw 1.54, I know 1.6 allows you to install on same partion). Everyone says to backup your game save data to a USB drive, but what about things I've downloaded from the playstation store? Is there anyway to save those, or am I going to have to re-download them?

Yes you will have to re-download PS Store downloads. YDL is based off of FC5 so they're pretty much the same.

I'd go with the official version. At least for starters.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News