Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

sony+apple

Sponsored Links
    Adressing the Apple and Sony argument, then yes, I agree, that Sony had been taken unawares by Apple and Nintendo, and that as technology moves away from engineering (Walkman, Trinitron) and more towards software and peoples relationships to adapting GUIs and ease of use, Sony have found it hard to adapt.

But this goes for every other single technology manufacturer out there who were also knocked sideways and had always thought 'bigger is better' rather than 'adaptable is better'. We have to look at the times and the whole context of the situation, such as downloading, and Sonys refusal to get in on the online arena until they realsied they had no other option.

Apple have operated from the fringe, and sometimes, when manufacturers or designers with absolutley no prior experience of working to the conventions of a well established piece of industrial design, they actually attack the problem from a totally different angle and innovate heavily, such as the guy who invented the scooter for post war italy who had only designed airplanes yet who wnated to create a new motorbike. The Vespa anyone? By the way, Im sure (though dont quote me on this one) that Apples head of prodcut design is Jonathan Ives, who, before designing ipods and imacs, designed toilet cisterns. I sh*t you not. Go check it out!)

In terms of industrial design, sonys new stuff is becoming more software oriented and the GUI adpative - such as XMB and the lovely, lovely new Photo Gallery feature. This beats iPhoto for me, it is absolutley lovely and Sony are to be congratulated for such a simple yet stunning piece of software. In terms of graphic design, things are starting to come together for a new corporate look. Form can be made minimal when the software allows for a screen to display all the neccessary buttons - ie. the ipod touch.

But look at the PS3, the butons on it such as the power and disc eject are 'touch' and not mecahnical buttons that work when the finger creates a circuit when pressed on them. (Have a look - they are metal and were popluar on some tvs in the 80s) I think that Sony are starting to realise this, albeit slowly, and hopefully in time they will be able to match Apple and secure a good business model also i.e make money from it.

As for the 360 vs Wii vs Ps3 thing, it just comes down to games, the hardcore will always want the "best" games and adopt wichever platform supports these - so, sony better pull their finger out where 3rd part support is concerned. If SOny are to be beleived in that thy want a more tech-savvy market than Wii, then it leads us to think that they are going for more of an online media distribution experiecne, but which also makes me wonder why it is taking them so long to get downloadable music and movies up there in the EU. Sure, they have movies in the US, but why not UK?

And, given that Home has a theatre, why not stream movies form there? say a few quid to go in and watch a fullmovie, not just some shitty trailers. Why not have virtual book and CD stores in Home which can thenk sync with PSP or PSP2 and enable you to carry the lates White Lies album or read the latest Harry Potter? And why cant I shake my PS3 pad to shuffle music in the music XMB or shuffle my photos randomly in Photo Gallery, like the Ericsson Walkman's?

I think that SONYs biggest problem is getting its separate divsions to work towards a similar goal and work in alignment. I dont know how long it took Apple to get iTunes fully up and running, but Sony better get these services for PlayStation soon if they are truthfull if their spouting of different target markets is not just a displacemnt strategy to save face and pride in a very japanese way.

As for claims about the PS3 being hard to program for- I have no idea -I know nothing about hardware engineering. Sometimes I think this can juts be used as an excuse, although, if we consider that the average 7th gen computer game costs millions of pounds to develop, then a developer is not going to want to waste time getting to grips with a hard to program machine when it can better relaise its concepts on a much better and rounded blank canvas.

I really admire my Ps3, for me it is a great multimedia theatre, with some new innovations and infra structures it could become even better.

By the way, as much as I like the DS (own one) and Wii, the games get so boooring after a while. Animal Crossing is the most repettive and capitalist game in humanity beneath the touchy-feely (no pun intended) veener of cuteness. Very over-rated I think.

And Wii is a toy, it might make lots of sales for capitalist games comapnys, but 80% of people who own it or have heard of it call it "Wees" or "wizz" and havent a clue about Nintendo.They see it, most probably as a stand alone luxury and will probably have no long term loyalty to its continuation as others have said here.

I would be very saddened to see Sony retire from console manufacture, but dont think that this is the case at all,I think that a lot of this stuff is absurd fanboyism and misinformation possibly generated virally from other manufacturerers, or am I being too conspiratorial?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by sika View Post
    ...releaseing a ps4 would kill sony, loosing so many customers & ust a waste of money, the world aint ready and this company is being silly, and sony knows that.
    The whole article displays a serious lack of comprehension. They state that "When the PS3 was launched, Sony deliberately designed it so that it was not backward compatible."

It was the launch PS3s that were backward compatible! Cutting into PS3 sales now with an announcement of the PS4 would be a horrible blow to PS3 sales, especially when the current PS3 hardware still has plenty of room for development (like the recent 3D demonstration, the more-accurate motion controls under development, etc.)

The main issue is that the Wii is going for a completely different niche than the 360/PS3 are going for. It turns out that's a big, profitable niche, and you have to give Nintendo credit for vision and execution, but it's not what "gamers" are going for.

Now, the 360 and PS3 are going for more of the 'hardcore gamer' niche. The 360's pretty well focused just on that, but the PS3 also tried to grab the A/V enthusiast market, too with Blu-ray, built-in media center functionality, etc. Turns out that's not (at least, not yet) as big a niche as they'd hoped.

The PS3 isn't out yet, though. Solid motion controls and a 'discount developer' scheme allowing more Wii-style games for the PS3 would let it expand its niche even more. The PS3 is capable of a lot more than the other consoles on the market, and if Sony can make the case to consumers that it's worth the price premium, the PS3 will do quite well.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The ps3 is the most advanced system to date. Its faster than ur crappy home built pc. Plus sony has plunty of ideas for the future of ps3. The ability to update firmware and add new features the ps3 will be around for years to come. To say a ps4 needs to be release is just moronic!!!

Lightbulb

Look at all of the replies!

I'll go back and read them all once I get this off my chest. Sometimes the replies to an article are just as important and informational as the article itself.

First of all, I own a PlayStation 3 (of course) a Wii and my brother owns an Xbox 360. This article didn't really compare the 360 at all, just the Wii and the PlayStation 3. I'm glad that my PlayStation 3 is not a Wii. The Wii in my house is used for the family and the only games we currently own are the included Wii Sports, the Wii Fit, and Disney Sing It for my younger sisters.

I have to admit that I hardly ever play the Wii. When we got the Wii and the Wii Fit last summer, the whole family played it every day. We got very competitive playing the Ski Jump and playing bowling. But, when the Summer ended, and everybody had other things to do (School, work, etc.) we all became tired and really, had no energy to play the Wii. (I remember seeing it one weekend and saying, "I'm gonna go back on that." and it greeted me with "Your last visit was 120 days ago!") The Wii, although we had so much fun with it in the beginning, just sort of became a fad, even in a family of 6.

With my PlayStation 3, if it's not on, I'm either sleeping or at school. I much more enjoy my PlayStation 3 for the high definition graphics, Blu ray capability, internet browser, great games, photo slideshows, and capability to play movies from an external hard drive (or even copy them to the PS3 HDD). The only feature I don't use my PlayStation for is music. I love music and I don't think I could survive without it. Although I do have music on my PlayStation, I find it hard to browse my 4,000+ song library. If the music had a search feature I may find this feature more appealing and use it more often. I find that I definitely get a lot more use from my PlayStation 3 than from my Wii, and I find it much more of a suitable console for the kind of person I am (Media enthralled ). Obviously, by just holding a controller in my lap, the PlayStation is not as energy consuming as the Wii.

With the Wii, you cannot plat Blu rays/Dvds, there are no high definition games, there are really no [Register or Login to view links] (to me), the lack of friends my age who play their Wii (I'm sure they all own one.).
    Movies and music (files) can be played on the Wii via SD card through the Photo Channel, yet they are round about and not as easy as using the PlayStation 3. There are numerous more advantage that the PlayStation 3 has over the Wii, but I'm sure that they are things you already know.

I really won't compare the Xbox 360 to the PlayStation 3 because this article is not discussing the 360. I will just add that, as time goes on, there becomes less and less better about the Xbox 360 than the PlayStation 3.

Another thing, I find it completely incompetent and foolish to say that the PlayStation 4 should be released so soon.

In conclusion, I find that this article is irrelevant to a person such as myself.

P.S. I meant in no way to disrespect PS3 News for posting the article. I think it really shows that, no matter how many Wiis are sold, the PlayStation 3 is a truly superior console.

Quote Originally Posted by BlingOnMyWrist View Post
    P.S. I meant in no way to disrespect PS3 News for posting the article. I think it really shows that, no matter how many Wiis are sold, the PlayStation 3 is a truly superior console.
    I don't give a frog's fat ass what articles I post... as long as they are current news they get posted, so don't worry about that at all HEHE I show no partiality to any console.

a bunch of nonsense. sony's console are always a head of their time. don't make me laugh, Wii comapred to PS3 ??? what a joke?
    it's like comparing a scooter to a car. yeah both are means of transportation but they have nothing to do with each others.

Well that's funny, because the last 2 generations Nintendo wasn't able to compete against Sony sales-wise and technology-wise(N64, Gamecube). Yet no one nagged about it.

Now that the Wii is selling better then both the Xbox360 and the Playstation 3 the critics (or should I say haters) start to complain about Sony. What? Only Sony? Why not mention the 360 as well then? Because not only is the Wii outselling the Xbox360 as well, but is the Xbox360 reaching it's max capability.

More sales doesn't nesssecarely mean that the product is better, It usually means it's cheaper but overall still ok. For instance i'd choose a ferrari over a ford if i had the money for it.

I'm sure if Sony comes with a price cut this year for the PS3, critics will have to eat their words. (overall it ain't even expensive at all for what you get!)

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News