Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Why the PlayStation 4 won't have Blu-ray

Sponsored Links
    Don Reisinger of CNET believes that the PS4 will not feature a Blu-ray player of any kid, he foresees the tech industry pushing Blu-ray aside as more capable technology becomes available and Sony's PS4 strategy will change to a focus on streaming and HD downloads.

To quote: Assuming what the analysts say is true -Sony will release a new console in three to five years and Blu-ray will be dead in five -how can the company justify putting a Blu-ray player into the Playstation 4? Does it really want to tie itself to a loser even though it spent so much money trying to make it a winner?

Given the company's financial woes in the video game space as of late, that could turn into its greatest blunder.

The technology industry is pushing Blu-ray aside as more capable offerings become available. I think Sony knows that already and will try to milk Blu-ray for as long as possible. But once the Playstation 4 is announced, the company will make its strategy known: it will forgo support for Blu-ray in the video game space and start focusing on streaming and HD downloads -the future of the industry. More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It's just moore's law in action. Not only that, optical discs are seeing their end soon. Honestly, when was the last time you burned homework to a dvd or cd disc to bring to school or work? Seeing how cheap flash memory has become and how most internetworks are switching to optical the days of a scratchable and large round disc are over.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    but who will be willing to download games that are over 25gb+? sure bandwidth speed are getting better but if its over that much wouldnt it be a problem to download them? i personally dont live in those area with 35mbps downstream isp, so i dont see why not actleast put in a optical disc reader in.

So what if the bluray disks die and players? If they die we buy the newest gadget and get the cool features out of it. Remember also sony and all other companys have to make it really easy for the consumer to buy their shit so downloading is not always that easy for a casual gamer or non-geek gamer who just wants something plug and play.

Its almost an economic law and I say this because Im a seller and the BASIC rules are that anyone can use it and by anyone I mean ANYONE, if your product is too hard to use you simply will fail at selling your product so relax and whatever we get to see with a ps4 will be easier and better than what we have today.

Also keep your eyes on the ball, sony and lots of other companys have stated and believe the ps3 will last at least another 8 years, and if it doesnt last whatever we just go buy the new console, remember this is a HOBBY and hobbys need money to keep them going on. The only ones winning besides the companys and sony are us the users we will always get better stuff thanks to our little friend the competition.

So dont panic just yet about downloadable content being to big or bandwith being to low or even sonys slow servers. Probably we will have downloadable content and games and whatnot but we will also have a retail store with the same offline content in an USB disk, Bluray, or whatever the technology takes us to. Remember also it has to be something easy but yet hard to hack, copy or clone.

I understand why Sony would lean more towards having games available over PSN versus an optical media, but like flatbush mentioned bandwidth would be a problem for such large files. Not everyone has access to such internet speeds.

The PS4 may not necessarily have a blueray player, but it will most likely have some sort of optical device, unless flash devices become cheaper than optical discs. But I don't really see that happening within 3-5 years. What is more likely to happen is that blueray discs/readers will become cheaper to make thus keeping them as a viable medium. This is of course assuming that a "PS4" will be released in 3-5 years.

Sure flash media is getting cheaper and cheaper, but will it be cheaper than optical media? I believe that optical media will still be cheaper than flash media in 3 to 5 years. When the PS4 does come out, there will be games available for the system on some sort of physical media, whether it be blu-ray or not. But my feeling is that blu-ray media/readers will become cheaper over time, similar to how CD media/readers did when they first came out. Which means the cost of including blu-ray will not be as big a problem for Sony. And in the end, the PS4 will most like have blu-ray. Plus it will be needed for backwards compatibility with the PS3
    Last edited by jinfactor; 09-17-2008 at 03:36 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I would be very surprised if the PS4 did not have a drive capable of reading BD/DVD/CD. The PS3 is used as a home media center by lots of owners and for them to upgrade to the PS4 there has to be capability to run these media types along with whatever is coming up.

A lot of the world does not have the capablity of downloading 1GB quickly now so it is very unlikely to have the ability to download 20GB or more quickly in 8 years especially when ISPs are going to complain about the large amount of infrastructure costs required to allow a high speed network to transfer such large amounts of data to many users at the same time. Expect usage caps and throttling to continue.

PS1 had CD, PS2 DVD and now PS3 has Blu-ray, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something new with PS4. Downloading games would probably come more common with faster internet connections, but there will allways be people who prefer buying concrete physical format (including me).

I can't see PS4 coming very soon, but would be happy to see it offering something new (Ultra HD, 3D video etc. ?) when it's coming. That doesn't take any value from Blu-Ray as didn't Blu-Ray took from DVD. I was happy to watch DVD's with much better quality compared to VHS at beginning of this centyry and I'm happy I can enjoy 1080p picture now.

Hopefully we are getting something new and fascinating with PS4, when the time is ready for real next generation of videogame consoles. I don't want to upgrade my PS3 & 360 yet to some +40% powerfull update. I'll rather wait an another year or two for real next generation console.

Waaait. I have a 20gb/month total transfer (both upload and download). It will take me 3-4 months to download a game like MGS4!

If they do scrap CDs couldnt sony save the PS3 with bring the memory slots back on to the new modles why they scrapped them anyway I am alway using my SD slot. Like a SD card with the game on it which u buy from the shop a bit like a DS game card?

If they don't use any type of CD/DVD/BD drive, they're screwed. If they intend for it to be a mediacenter anyways. ppl will have alot of movies on BD and will probably still have alot of music CDs in 3-5 years so why would ppl buy a PS4 if it can't even play any CD, DVD or BD??. PS4 games could probably been on some kind of flash memory though, so they can easily be physically sold over a counter.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News