Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Why do some PS3 games require HDD installs?

Sponsored Links
    MTV have found out that some Blu-ray games require installs to the hard drive because Blu-ray drives can only read at one speed.

"When this is combined with the extremely large size of Blu-ray discs, and simply dumping existing DVD data onto a Blu-ray disc will inevitably result in longer load times."

To quote: The issue arises from differences in the reading techniques of DVD and Blu-ray. By nature, the outer and inner parts of a disc move at different speeds while a disc is spinning, regardless of format (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc.).

While DVD drives can read data at those differing speeds, Blu-ray reads at one speed. Combine that with the extremely large size of Blu-ray discs, and simply dumping existing DVD data onto a Blu-ray disc will inevitably result in longer load times.

Installations are a way around this issue.

When a publisher asks you to install a game on PS3, it's because they're moving some of the disc data to an area of your console that has much faster read access: the hard drive. You get vastly reduced loading times, but have to sit through an installation.

Why do some PS3 games require HDD installs?

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    but BluRay reads faster as well don't it? i mean a bluray reading at the spead of '1x' reads at 12megabits (or megabytes dunno).. compared to a few megs for DVD.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    15mb out of tons of megas the disc can contain... so the reading ratio is kinda 1:1 compared to DVD.

i don't mind the installation of games at all. On ps3 it reduces the loading time vastly as seen on dynasty warriors where as compared to xbox360's its hardly noticeable.

But why is it that a game like Unreal Tournament 3 has an install option but does not require it to be mandatory?

Quote Originally Posted by superaktieboy View Post
    but BluRay reads faster as well don't it? i mean a bluray reading at the spead of '1x' reads at 12megabits (or megabytes dunno).. compared to a few megs for DVD.
    A Blu-Ray speed of 1x is about 32Mbps while a 1x DVD speed is about 12Mbps. So, yes, when you compare the transfer rates of a 1x BR and a 1x DVD drive the Blu-Ray will be faster. However when you compare a current 12x DVD drive to a 1x or 2x Blu-Ray drive the difference skews in favor of the DVD drive.

That would actually be 36Mbps. so its 3x the speed of a 1x DVD. BD-ROM specification states Movies at 54Mbps and Data transfers at 36Mbps, So would guess it reads 2x on video/audio and 1x on games.

i dont mind the installation, but the wait time in devil may cry 4 is too much.

i dont mind the installation, but the wait time in devil may cry 4 is too much.
    I believe guys at Capcom just do not know how to perform fast copying of data from BD to HDD. Both Heavenly Sword and Unreal Tournament 3 install something like 2GB of game data to the hard drive which is nearly half size of DMC4's setup while those game require much less time (than 10 minutes) for the installation process (compare to 21 minutes of installation procedure in DMC4 to copy 4.5GB).

Quote Originally Posted by RMX View Post
    I believe guys at Capcom just do not know how to perform fast copying of data from BD to HDD. Both Heavenly Sword and Unreal Tournament 3 install something like 2GB of game data to the hard drive which is nearly half size of DMC4's setup while those game require much less time (than 10 minutes) for the installation process (compare to 21 minutes of installation procedure in DMC4 to copy 4.5GB).
    I didn't mind the long install at all. As long as it cuts down loading time while i'm playing, a 20 min install once during the beginning is well worth. It'll give you time to enjoy the weather outside before you lock yourself in for a gaming marathon

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News