Video: Sony Announces The Studio, Brings Digital Art to PS3 XMB
Sony PlayStation Network Product Manager James Thorpe has announced The Studio today alongside some videos, which aims to bring digital art to the PS3 XMB.
To quote: Showcasing the best in digital design, The Studio brings to PlayStation a collection of Static and Dynamic Themes for PS3 and PSP from some of the most coveted and cutting edge graphic and digital artists, illustrators and graphic designers around the world.
We have partnered with [Register or Login to view links], one of the world's most tuned-in creative design and production companies, to help us curate The Studio collection and ensure only the finest offerings in everything from urban street art to illustration are included.
In a world where art and gaming continue to converge, the digital creations on offer at The Studio are the ultimate design accessories for your PS3 or PSP. Available to download from just €0.99 to €2.99* each, you can choose from a wide range of Static and Dynamic themes for the XMB.
Over the next 2 months we will be updating the Themes on offer in The Studio every week, with monthly updates thereafter. Here's a summary of the themes you can find in the first week and available to download today:
- Discover the quirky, child-like doodles of Jonathan Calugi, one of the hottest emerging talents in Italy and the man behind [Register or Login to view links]. Also available for PSP.
- Let your eyes drift through Eyelevator by Rex Crowle, AKA [Register or Login to view links] - one of the creative minds behind LittleBigPlanet. He describes his theme as floating collection of visions from a place known as The Orb of Dreamers. Also available for PSP.
- Fans of English rockers Muse will also recognise the work of Jasper Goodall, notably known for his album cover art for the band. The artist shares his bespoke theme entitled Lake of Sorrows.
- Celebrated illustrator [Register or Login to view links] brings two upbeat themes to The Studio: A world of Moving Shapes and Colours and Blocks. Also available for PSP.
- Developed exclusively for The Studio, [Register or Login to view links] Explosion is a snapshot of the detonation of modern life milliseconds after a big-bang style explosion and made up of everything from hotdogs to the PlayStation symbols.
- [Register or Login to view links] introduces us to one of his favourite characters in Charlie's Awfully Big Adventure - a theme based on his sell-out print 'Charlie does a Kickflip' from 2010.
- Madrid-based studio [Register or Login to view links] fuses retro electronics with living foliage to create Plant-Station.
- [Register or Login to view links] brings his trademark abstract expressionism to The Studio with Jagobah Systems.
Glitch and Play, the themes from Studio Output, bring a kaleidoscopic array of colour to PlayStation. Play is also available for PSP.
- [Register or Login to view links] aka Luke Choice, known for his work with the music industry, has teamed up with illustrator [Register or Login to view links] to create A Trip Into The Unknown for PSP.
To take a look at all the Themes in action visit our YouTube channel at [Register or Login to view links]
To celebrate the launch of The Studio, The Studio Theme created by Studio Output is available to download for free from today for two weeks only.
The Studio and PlayStation Plus
Subscribers to PlayStation Plus will be able to take advantage of a number of exclusive deals and offers, including six free themes a year and a 20% discount on all Themes in The Studio collection. The 1st free Theme from The Studio for Plus subscribers will be available to download on the 20th April.
So we cordially invite you to the grand opening on The Studio the brand new digital art space on PlayStation Store. Explore the store on your PS3 and PSP or visit The Studio gallery on PlayStation Home.
For more information please visit eu.playstation.com/TheStudio and you can find The Studio in the Themes & Avatars section of PlayStation Store. And let us know what you think!