Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Video: PlayStation 3 Firmware v3.00 Update Detailed!

Sponsored Links
    Available on September 1st, PlayStation Network Operations Director Eric Lempel has detailed PS3 Firmware 3.0 via PlayStation Blog, as follows:

PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.00) adds a number of great new features that we're excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3.

First, you'll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar). We've enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it's easier and even more intuitive to use.

We've also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience. Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

"What's New" - The "Information Board" will be replaced with a "What's New" section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, "What's New" displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
    Status Indicator - In the top right corner we've added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
    Friends List - Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends' respective profiles.
    PlayStation Store Shortcuts - We've added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
    Personalization - Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
    Trophies - Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories-base trophies and add-on trophies-that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

To get a preview of what's coming in update 3.00, check out the video.

We're looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.00 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    What.. nothing on backwards capablity

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    To be honest in my opinion, they have done the same thing again.. they have gone ahead and added features that im sure no one else is paticulary intrested in while not adding features like cross platform voice chat or in game music or backward capability.. what i mean is the fact that they havent listened to what their customers want again.. in my eyes this is another majour FAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhen View Post
    What.. nothing on backwards capablity
    Like I've said before, give it some time to get perfected for (most) titles - then a B/C pack will show up in the PSN store for $10-$30, and Sony will make a killing off of it.

Easy for $20 or so to add a PS2 to your PS3, Is it not?

Unhappy

The xmb was fine as it was. i was really lookin forward to some backwards compatibility with this update. oh well.

Arrow

From JoyStiq: [Register or Login to view links]

Firmware 3.00 will be available to download on September 1st and, while the PS3 Slim will debut shortly afterwords, it will not come preloaded on the hardware. Instead, new PS3 Slim owners will download a day-one upgrade to 3.00.

I am sure the people at Sony have the software necessary to fully emulate the PS2 on the PS3. I mean, my POS computer can emulate a PS2 game and the PS3 is more than capable.

They are just waiting for the appropriate time to release it so that they can make maximum profit. I figure once PS3 sales are high enough and PS2 sales decline enough, they will release it.

meh the way i see it is

no ps2 compad
    "We need it!"

Buggy ps2 compad like it prob is if it even really exists in a full sense yet...
    "we need a better working one!"

sony really cant win =\... i like 3.0 it adds a lot of nice features, im just glad their making the interface nicer =3... its not everything, but its nice to see reguardless

Quote Originally Posted by maxpwer222 View Post
    I am sure the people at Sony have the software necessary to fully emulate the PS2 on the PS3. I mean, my POS computer can emulate a PS2 game and the PS3 is more than capable.
    Actually, it's not that simple. The PS2 actually has a higher memory bandwidth than the PS3 (2 1024 bit buses and a 512 bit bus just for the GS) whilst the PS3 has significantly more processing power. So, just in terms of plain emulation of the MIPS chips, the PS3 would have no problems but most PS2 games had extremely optimised GS code to try to hit the maximum memory throughput and so there'll be a lot of games that simply cannot be emulated.

Why did they take out B/C on PS3, I bought my PS3 almost 2 years ago and its got B/C and its still running smooth.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News