Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

US Air Force is Buying 2200 PlayStation 3 Consoles for Research

Sponsored Links
    The United States Air Force will soon be placing an order with Sony for 2,200 PlayStation 3 consoles... and they're not even going to play games on them.

Instead, the consoles will be headed to the USAF Research Laboratory's information directorate in Rome, New York, where they'll be combined with 336 consoles the lab already own to form a "cluster" of Cell chips.

This cluster will then be put to work grinding out better ways to process high-res radar images, video footage, as well as research on "neuromorphic computing."

To quote: "The Air Force will use the system to "to determine the best fit for implementation of various applications," including commercial and internally developed software specific to the PS3's Cell Broadband Engine processor architecture.

The research will help the Air Force decide where Cell Broadband Engine processor-derived hardware and software could be used in military systems.

The Air Force has used the cluster to test a method of processing multiple radar images into higher resolution composite images (known as synthetic aperture radar image formation), high-def video processing, and "neuromorphic computing," or building computers with brain-like properties."

US Air Force is Buying 2200 PlayStation 3 Consoles for Research

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    2,200 PS3s + Airmen + downtime... I think someone will find out how to get out of linux and play a few games. Just saying, productivity may go up just so they don't have anything to do, but play some games...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Is the US air force too low on budget to buy a "real" supercomputer?

Big Grin

kinda funny how you never see multiple 360s linked together to form a super computer

Why not just let them play Modern Warfare 2 and train up on their skills?

Then again, they might get trigger happy with the tactical nuke...

@ ... Wonderkik
    Who knows :/ But i dont think so, maybe they just want to support Sony or the app's dont need a "real" supercomputer. I think they know what they do

@ ... 51N15T3R
    it's simple, ps3 = open source ... xbox = not

I think the most plz do not understand what a super computer is.The PS3 IS the best and profitable Super Computer you can get for ya money. Beside that to time there is no one single CPU that could mess with the Cell. The Cell have a totally new architecture and reach levels where other CPU´s cant go.

You guys ever heard about "Flopes"? Yes, No... or do you only talking BS?

Mann plz:
    the app's dont need a "real" supercomputer
    Im 100% sure you dont know what your talking...

Quote Originally Posted by 51N15T3R View Post
    kinda funny how you never see multiple 360s linked together to form a super computer
    well you can install linux on a ps3, which i assume they will be doing.

@ ... cfwprophet

what i mean is, you dont have do buy a super computer if you can buy "some" ps3.

Big Grin

To think someone has to sit there and install linux to over 2,000 ps3's.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News