Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 Builds Now Available for PS3 Linux

Sponsored Links
    Recently some new Ubuntu builds have been made available for PS3 Linux. Although Ubuntu does not officially support it, the PS3 versions are maintained through community support.

PlayStation 3 Desktop CD: For Sony PlayStation 3 systems. (This defaults to installing Ubuntu permanently, since there is usually not enough memory to try out the full desktop system and run the installer at the same time. An alternative boot option to try Ubuntu without changing your computer is available.)

Download: [Register or Login to view links] (684MB) / [Register or Login to view links] (644MB)

Those interested in keeping up on the daily builds can check the link above or [Register or Login to view links], and props to both xmen3 and mihaiolimpiu for the news.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Arrow Ubuntu 9.04 for PS3

Sponsored Links
    PlayStation 3 alternate install CD

[Register or Login to view links]

Direct download: [Register or Login to view links]

Don't download the live ([Register or Login to view links]) version 'cause it freezes on install...
    Last edited by xmen3; 05-07-2009 at 11:22 AM

Banned User
    Sponsored Links

Already using this!

Sponsored Links
    I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty on my PS3 from ALFA 5 stage and it's very very usable, played Wesnoth and Globulation on it with great result and also some SNES games.

The only bug that bothers me is that my bluetooth mouse does not work OOT!

Sponsored Links

Cool

Sponsored Links
    I merged your post above xmen3.. is this new though? I see like daily /20090506/ and /20090507/ etc.

If this is news it probably should be submitted in the Site News, however, if this is just daily builds then ya.. not that 'newsworthy' I suppose.

In any case, I +Rep'd ya!

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I merged your post above xmen3.. is this new though? I see like daily /20090506/ and /20090507/ etc.

If this is news it probably should be submitted in the Site News, however, if this is just daily builds then ya.. not that 'newsworthy' I suppose.

In any case, I +Rep'd ya!
    9.04 released 6 may 2009
    9.10 released 8 may 2009... something don't work

dunno much about linux... and daily builds... don't waste your time installing this. Failed to install it 'cause no valid kenel found... Anyway i was looking for a new version of ubuntu cause i did'nt wanted to install the old version to update later...

I've 1 desktop and a laptop with XP and i've tried 2 years ago with linux on ps3 and then left.
    just wanted to try now if its better... the whole story

wow karmic koala 9.10 works for basic system installation... but fails on software install...
    so just kernel with no windows interface... next one maybe works
    anyway theres no warranty they say...
    Last edited by xmen3; 05-08-2009 at 02:53 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned User

Ubuntu 9.04 PS3 is worth it!

I don't know about you Xmen but I installed it by updating from 8.10 so I don't really know which version is working right now! Anyway, the first thing to do after you install (successfully) is to enable PS3VRAM swap because it's waaay faster with this -> [Register or Login to view links].

@PS3 News: Yes this should be submitted to site news, final build is already out! didn't saw anything about UBUNTU Jaunty in the news section!

P.S.: Another linux distro that has OFFICIAL SUPPORT for PS3 is Fedora 11 which is due in less than one month! Keep in mind that Ubuntu does not OFFICIALLY support the PS3 but the PS3 version is maintained through comunity support...

OK, Thanks for the feedback guys... I will peek into this further and try to get a news post written on it soon.

Update: I have now added it to the Site News, and merged your posts above to the new thread.

finally

again...no luck with 7.10 desktop and alternate version: outdated...
    A message appears at 82% tellin me "no mirrors found"...

so no way with that... the only way is to download 8.10 intrepid alternate version, that's the only i've just finished to install on This old CECHC04 60gb...

Now will update from 9.10 cd and see what happen...
    Last edited by xmen3; 05-09-2009 at 02:19 AM

Banned User

Forced update from 8.10 to 9.04

If you want to upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 run in terminal the fallowing command:
    update-manager -d

If this does not work try:
    sudo update-manager -d (I don't know if you have to be ROOT to do the update - SUDO command enables you as root user - simplistic explanation)

9.10 karmic koala is that alpha or what, keeping to release plan that should be out in october.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast