Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

TGS 2009: PS3 Motion Controller & Launch Titles Detailed

Sponsored Links
    Sony didn't unveil many details on the upcoming PlayStation Motion Controller at the Tokyo Game Show, however, Kaz Hirai did show off the updated design (pictured below) for the controller.

Additionally, Sony revealed that Biohazard 5: Alternative Edition will support the new Motion Controllers and is due out in Spring 2010.

LittleBigPlanet will also be updated with motion controls, providing a Super Mario Galaxy style second controller option, as well as (hopefully) speeding up the level creation process.

From the Press Release: Motion Controller* for PlayStation 3 to Become Available in Spring 2010

Motion Controller (Unofficial Name) Equipped with High-Precision Motion Sensors, Combined With PlayStation Eye Camera, Delivers Whole New Entertainment Experience on PlayStation 3

TOKYO, Sept. 24 /PRNewswire/ - Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that it will release a new Motion Controller (unofficial name) for PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system in Spring 2010.

The new controller, equipped with high-precision, highly accurate motion sensors, can deliver a whole new entertainment experience on PS3 when combined together with the PlayStation®Eye camera(*1). Capable of recognizing and tracking a user's face and voice as well as body motion, PlayStation Eye can also output the player's image onto the TV screen. SCE will vigorously promote the expansion of this new experience only possible on the PS3 platform.

The newly announced Motion Controller is equipped with two motion sensors, three axes gyroscope and three axes accelerometer that can detect the controller's angle and movement held in the user's hand. Together with the PlayStation Eye camera for PS3 which can accurately track the absolute position of the controller, the controller can detect the natural and intuitive movement of the hand and reflect the precise movement on to the game.

The sphere placed on the top of the controller is not only used to track the absolute position but can also give visual feedback to users by changing the colors or the illuminating patterns of the sphere. Furthermore, the new controller is also equipped with a rumble feature, familiar to the PlayStation® DUALSHOCK® series controller, delivering an immersive gaming experience to users.

Further expanding the new experience on PS3, SCE Worldwide Studios will deliver many exciting software titles for the Motion Controller in 2010(*2). SCE, with strong support from software developers and publishers, will deploy various measures to enhance the software title line-up for the new Motion Controller and vigorously promote the PS3 platform.

* Motion Controller is a tentative name.

*1 Users will need to use the PlayStation Eye camera to enjoy Motion Controller on PS3.

*2 Please see below for software titles to be released in 2010.

Product Outline
    Motion Controller (Tentative)

Product name Motion Controller (tentative)

Release date Spring 2010

Recommended Retail Price To be decided.

Key Features - Three axes gyroscope, three axes accelerometer
    - Bluetooth(R) 2.0
    - Lithium-Ion rechargeable internal battery

Software Titles for Motion Controller from SCE Worldwide Studios(*1)
    (2010 release, includes both Motion Controller dedicated and compatible titles)

Title name:

- Ape Escape (Working Title)
    - Echochrome 2 (Working Title)
    - Eccentric Slider (Working Title)
    - Sing and Draw (Working Title)
    - Champions of Time (Working Title)
    - Motion Party (Working Title)
    - The Shoot (Working Title)
    - Tower (Working Title)
    - PAIN(*2)
    - Flower(*2)
    - Hustle Kings(*2)
    - High Velocity Bowling(*2)
    - EyePet(*2)

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Oh no not another bowling game!

I wish they are making some sort of a tennis game.
    That is the only reason why I've got a wii

Wii tennis ftw!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't understand the use of this device ....

Doesn't the "Six Axis Dual Shock 3" current controller do all of these things? 'cause I remember that they announced it in that way, that you wouldn't need an extra controller to have "six axis" movements ... which meant 3D workspace ha

The only thing it comes to my mind is "precision" because to be honest the DualShock 3 fails in detecting efficiently the movements, that's why I only use it for reloading weapons faster on GTA IV

I just hope this thing worths the price and, more importantly, that the games developers exploit its functionality.
    Last edited by JesusFMA; 09-24-2009 at 04:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFMA View Post
    I don't understand the use of this device ....

Doesn't the "Six Axis Dual Shock 3" current controller do all of these things?
    No because the six axis was a last minute feature that sony implemented into the controller (originally not a "dualshock") to compete (poorly) with the wii's motion capabilities

Even the biggest fanboy cant argue that the six axis is a good feature; it only registers simple x, y and z axis motion and was poorly implemented into certain launch titles
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusFMA View Post
    The only thing it comes to my mind is "precision" because to be honest the DualShock 3 fails in detecting efficiently the movements
    Yes, sony learned from their mistakes of six axis and have now come up with a motion controller with 1:1 motion accuracy - basically the ultimate x, y and z axis motion detection.
    THIS is the key attraction to the product - its accuracy in 3D space is unparallelled by the wii and allows for a better motion controlling experience but also it comes with a promise of having GOOD titles, and these games arent going to be limited to the shovelware that you find with the wii.

hope that helps

Hustle kings! Yes!!

sweet

I can't wait for the motion controller.. it looks awesome!

I sure do hope that this device will be an asset for the PS3 instead of another useless controller that no Game company will care about.

BTW can they make sword wielding games (ex. lightsaber) with this device?

Quote Originally Posted by Radharn View Post
    BTW can they make sword wielding games (ex. lightsaber) with this device?
    Apparently you didn't see the original demo they made of this to the world. I guess you were just expressing your inner Vader/Skywalker excitement...

-Erich

The motion controler is a new improvement to ps3, but we get to see how will they manage it in the future, for now for me playing a game in wich i have to control with dual shock in my left hand and the motion controler in the right looks confusing, but we get to see how they introduce these two elements together in a video game.

I think Sony's motion controller looks like the best new motion technology of the current generation. I can't see NATAL being used for anything other than stupid casual games that won't cater to hardcore gamers at all, and Wii's is just far too inaccurate without shelling out extra money for WiiMotionPlus (which should have been there in the first place). Let's hope Sony does the job right. *crosses fingers*

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News