Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 Square Button TDK Begins Shipping Blue Ray Discs!!

Sponsored Links
    Apr 10, 2006 - TDK Begins Shipping Blu-ray Recordable and Rewriteable Media

TDK today announced that it has begun shipping 25GB BD-R/BD-RE (recordable/rewriteable) media to retailers nationwide, making it the first to market with bare Blu-ray media. Retail pricing is set at $19.99 for a 25GB BD-R and $24.99 for a 25GB BD-RE. In addition, TDK will ship 50GB Blu-ray media later this year with retail pricing set at $47.99 for a 50GB BD-R and $59.99 for a 50GB BD-RE. TDK's Blu-ray Disc roadmap also reveals plans to further extend the format's speed and capacity in the future, proving that Blu-ray is truly future-ready. TDK technologies have already enabled creating 100GB, quad-layer Blu-ray Disc prototypes and blazing 216Mbps (6x) speed. The company is currently in the process of developing the world's first 200GB Blu-ray Disc prototype

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    cool out4it thanks for the news

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Around a dollar a GB for optical media!? What sane person wouldn't buy a HDD over recordable Blu-Ray disks?

If something fails, thats one expensive coaster. I thought 10$ a DVD was harsh back in the day.

Yeah, but think about it, you cant just play your dvd's on your pc with a hdd (unless your doing tvout etc, and not many people do, they have a PC in one room, tv in another etc)

50gb can hold alot of NORMAL movies, talking atleast 12 or so, for making backups, that could be worth it, but still CRAZY for a price.

Though when the -DL's first came out, they were expensive too (and cd-r's etc, they were a few $/piece)

I agree. They rushed it to market and set a price. Now everyone else will either fall in line with that price or it will be a benchmark which they all will undercut. But either way,over time the price will fall.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC
    Yeah, but think about it, you cant just play your dvd's on your pc with a hdd
    Well, you can use Daemon Tools (or another virtual drive tool) to play DVD disk images. So you = pwn3d by me

Yeah Mr. never come on IRC and only use part of my quote

'(unless your doing tvout etc, and not many people do, they have a PC in one room, tv in another etc)'

If i have a 19 LCD on the PC, and a 55" DLP in the other room, im watching it on the DLP (mind you I have neither, but its an example)

I think CJPC was talking about people with a DVD player in one room and a PC in the other wanting say 50 movied on one disk that they could just put in their player and watch. Of course a mediacenter PC is actually cheaper than a blueray reader (not to mention a writer or the cost of disks) and we don't know if a blueray reader could even read DIVX or MPEG2 files of a blueray disk, so....

Like i've said all along, they are targeting the richest 2% right now with money to blow on the newest tech regardless of practicality. It will be another few years before this stuff hits mainstream.

Thanks Kraken, your 100% on, but you do make a point about a 1k BR reader, + a burner, but lets say we got that already

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News