Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Stock PS3 HDD rules over Solid State Drives

Sponsored Links
    GameSpot has conducted a benchmark test of the differences of various times when a Solid State Drive is used on the PS3.

From the results of their tests, the use of a SSD seems to be of little appeal, while the load times improved, installation times increased largely.

To quote: At a cost of $400, it's hard to justify purchasing a solid state drive, especially when you consider that the money could buy you a whole new console. The argument becomes even more difficult to push when the benefits of said drive aren't universal.

Load times improved, but installation times increased tremendously. More expensive SSDs have faster write speeds, but at almost four times the cost. There certainly are benefits to upgrading to a solid state drive, but we wouldn't recommend doing so until the prices and speed are more in line with performance expectations.

Fortunately, solid state drive prices seem to halve every year, and performance is improving. We shouldn't have to wait much longer for SSDs with larger capacities, better performance, and lower prices.

Stock PS3 HDD rules over Solid State Drives

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It depends on what solidstate hardrive it is most have alot slower transfer speed than normal hardrives, but ones like mtron pro 7000 have faster access time and transfer speeds than mechanical drives.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
    It depends on what solidstate hardrive it is most have alot slower transfer speed than normal hardrives, but ones like mtron pro 7000 have faster access time and transfer speeds than mechanical drives.
    but they're not worth it at $400 for a 16gb drive are they?

I don't see why anyone would really consider a SSD in a device that is going to be stationary. Right now it seems that the cost does not outweigh the loss in space.

They seem to perform just as well, just more durable and a lot more expensive. I can see buying one for a laptop, since there aren't moving parts in a SSD but the PS3 stays still so it just seems like a waste of money.

I think in a year or two the SSD capacities will increases 10x and the price will decrease - making it more feasible to use in everyday operations.. definitely best for a laptop at the moment - power saving since no mechanical parts etc... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gamerply5 View Post
    I don't see why anyone would really consider a SSD in a device that is going to be stationary. Right now it seems that the cost does not outweigh the loss in space.

They seem to perform just as well, just more durable and a lot more expensive. I can see buying one for a laptop, since there aren't moving parts in a SSD but the PS3 stays still so it just seems like a waste of money.
    I certainly agree, for me the biggest appeal of ssd over hdd is the reduction of power consumption. I am content with the speed of my hdd's in my desktop and my ps3.. however there are ssds in my laptop and ipod.

man those ssd's are expensive, like REALLY... who would bother?!?! i know apple airbook or something uses one, but anyway even with the extra money its crap, needs time to mature like most new things.

Whats the point of solid state hard drive? you could get a great 10,000 rpm 180 gig hard drive for 100 bucks and the games will load from hard drive in secounds.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News