Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Speculation: Samsung Adds MKV to Blu-ray Players, PS3 Next?

Sponsored Links
    With Samsung now having a major advantage, we can only hope that the MKV file format is added to the PS3's accepted format list soon so that converting will be a thing of the past.

At IFA, Samsung [Register or Login to view links] that Blu-ray player models BD-P1600, BD-P3600 and BD-P4600 will support both YouTube and the MKV file format.

Existing players will be able to access those features by upgrading the firmware. The company plans to launch BD recorders in 2010, and is holding a wait-and-see stance towards 3-D.

To quote: "We know our consumers want access to multi-platform content, and the addition of YouTube to our Blu-ray players aims to provide this to them - from the comfort of their living room," added Robert Shaw (General Manager CTV & Home Platforms).

"Adding MKV file support and YouTube to our range of Blu-ray players is the latest step from Samsung Electronics in providing an unparalleled home-cinema experience for our customers."

Speculation: Samsung Adds MKV to Blu-ray Players, PS3 Next?

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yeah - I also pray for Sony to add MKV support although the BIG difference between Samsung and Sony is that Samsung doesn't hold any movie rights unlike Sony to worry about

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Woohooo

This would be perfect. The only problem that comes next is that we need NTFS support... or else my files will be to big

Quote Originally Posted by B4rtj4h View Post
    Woohooo

This would be perfect. The only problem that comes next is that we need NTFS support... or else my files will be to big
    That's the last of the bother really as I use only network media servers (apart of PlayTV) to play any media so it's fine with me

Aahhh....ntfs? The ps3's hdd's filesys can store files bigger then 4GB!!
    No need to have ntfs on the ps3

i use ps3mediaserver to play mkv files. It plays them fine, but built in support would be much better.

yeah keep on dreaming, sony will never add mkv support to the ps3, as someone said above they have movie rights to protect and lets be honest most people uses mkvs to watch media downloded from internet. although theres no need to use mkv to watch 1080p media on ps3, you can use avchd an then you can have a movie with all its features, thats what i do, i only remux my mkvs to avchd format and put it on my ps3 (they can be bigger than 4gb). and thats it no lan or wifi saturation by media servers.

the remuxing process takes in my old dual core laptop about 15 min, oh and it adds an excellent xmb menu with chapters and stuff.

@ynoz:

can you tell us, which software do you use ?
    i have testet with avidemux under linux x264 and ac3 into a mp4 container , but it does not works.

perhapes you have a "mencoder or transcode" commandline or an X-frontend ?

i looking for a linux-tool for set the profile ... example for mainprofil@4.1
    or highprofile@4.1

greets
    mike

mkv support would be very nice...

Quote Originally Posted by ynoz View Post
    yeah keep on dreaming, sony will never add mkv support to the ps3, as someone said above they have movie rights to protect and lets be honest most people uses mkvs to watch media downloded from internet. although theres no need to use mkv to watch 1080p media on ps3, you can use avchd an then you can have a movie with all its features, thats what i do, i only remux my mkvs to avchd format and put it on my ps3 (they can be bigger than 4gb). and thats it no lan or wifi saturation by media servers.

the remuxing process takes in my old dual core laptop about 15 min, oh and it adds an excellent xmb menu with chapters and stuff.
    The only problem with remuxing to AVCHD is that you need movies with full frame, like exact 1920x1080 or 1280x720, or else you will get a green line in the middle of the screen. And most of the downloaded files you will get will have resolutions like 1920x968 to save some space and keep the file smaller.

Since i've bought a tvix media player jukebox I don't need to worry with that anymore.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News