Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21



  1. #11
    Contributor semitope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    605
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by ynoz View Post
    yeah keep on dreaming, sony will never add mkv support to the ps3, as someone said above they have movie rights to protect and lets be honest most people uses mkvs to watch media downloded from internet. although theres no need to use mkv to watch 1080p media on ps3, you can use avchd an then you can have a movie with all its features, thats what i do, i only remux my mkvs to avchd format and put it on my ps3 (they can be bigger than 4gb). and thats it no lan or wifi saturation by media servers.

    the remuxing process takes in my old dual core laptop about 15 min, oh and it adds an excellent xmb menu with chapters and stuff.
    MKV is the main file type used for pirated movies? I dont think so. I mostly see them used for anime really.

    NTFS support would be greatly appreciated. I dont exactly have any fat32 external drives that I can easily backup my ps3 to.

  2. #12
    Banned User arlyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    MKV is not the main format used by pirates, but it is nearly exclusively used by blu-ray pirates.

    You guys point out sony has a movie company to worry about. They still produce retail dvd's, but allow you to play avi files and divx/xvid, which ARE the most common formats used by pirates. The thing is, in addition to Sony Pictures, Sony also owns the proprietary rights to the Blu-Ray format.

    They won't let you play MKV files because they don't give a shit about their dvd sales. DVD is sony's past, and Blu-Ray is what they view as their future. They want you to buy blu-Ray right now, and they're not going to make it easy for you to pirate their movies/technology AND use their hardware to facilitate this process.

    NTFS is owned by Microsoft, and will be a feature of the ps3 sometime around right after we can cross game chat with Xbox Live users, aka never.

  3. #13
    Registered User zeromx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    221
    Sponsored Links

    Wink

    Sponsored Links
    I would like MKV and OGM support.

  4. #14
    Registered User maxpwer222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    86
    You can put files larger than 4gb on the PS3 via media servers.

  5. #15
    Registered User azyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7
    i use mkv2vob. it remuxes my mkvs so that i can watch them in my ps3 via my media server, it also supports dts, but you need a reciver that supports dts for it to work in your ps3. you should all check it out...

  6. #16
    Registered User goman1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7
    I agree, you will always have some people to use any format for there own purpose wheather it is for piriting or for legal use, I say go ahead and add any format as long as it drums up support for the PS3 and future Sony products.

  7. #17
    Junior Member ynoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by veggav View Post
    The only problem with remuxing to AVCHD is that you need movies with full frame, like exact 1920x1080 or 1280x720, or else you will get a green line in the middle of the screen. And most of the downloaded files you will get will have resolutions like 1920x968 to save some space and keep the file smaller.

    Since i've bought a tvix media player jukebox I don't need to worry with that anymore.
    i use multiavchd, and when the media don't complain the standar the software add a black line at the bottom of the image, adding the missing pixels, the only problem i ever had its when the reference frame is higher than 4 then i have to reencode (about 4 hours with a 1080p movie).

    Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    MKV is the main file type used for pirated movies? I dont think so. I mostly see them used for anime really.

    NTFS support would be greatly appreciated. I dont exactly have any fat32 external drives that I can easily backup my ps3 to.
    did i say tha mkvs are the main file.......? NO, the thing is why would i use my cell powered ps3 to play avi files if my usb capable dvd player could doit without any stress, even my cellphone can play them, mkv are used for bd rips, 720p and 1080p really worth the effort of turning on my ps3.

    Quote Originally Posted by mike1001 View Post
    @ynoz:

    can you tell us, which software do you use ?
    i have testet with avidemux under linux x264 and ac3 into a mp4 container , but it does not works.

    perhapes you have a "mencoder or transcode" commandline or an X-frontend ?

    i looking for a linux-tool for set the profile ... example for mainprofil@4.1
    or highprofile@4.1


    greets
    mike
    forget about linux, that OS is to complicated i'd tried whit it and belive me it was a waste of time, ther is this tool (MultiAVCHD) for billīs OS that works perfectly, and do the job in no time.
    Last edited by ynoz; 09-08-2009 at 12:21 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #18
    Contributor semitope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    605
    Wasnt your argument that sony would not allow mkv because they have rights to protect? That would suggest that mkv is the most used file type for piracy to me, otherwise whats the point of specifically preventing that format from playing? What the cell can do and what your DVD player can do have little consequence to sony.

    Anyway, those arguing that sony has some legal reason for not enabling mkv are likely wrong for the very reason that its not the only file type that is used for HD content. Its likely just of no concern to them or its not used often enough for the things that matter to them.

    NTFS is readable and writable to on linux? what are the reasons that is possible?

  9. #19
    Registered User setTopbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by arlyn View Post
    MKV is not the main format used by pirates, but it is nearly exclusively used by blu-ray pirates.

    You guys point out sony has a movie company to worry about. They still produce retail dvd's, but allow you to play avi files and divx/xvid, which ARE the most common formats used by pirates. The thing is, in addition to Sony Pictures, Sony also owns the proprietary rights to the Blu-Ray format.

    They won't let you play MKV files because they don't give a shit about their dvd sales. DVD is sony's past, and Blu-Ray is what they view as their future. They want you to buy blu-Ray right now, and they're not going to make it easy for you to pirate their movies/technology AND use their hardware to facilitate this process.

    NTFS is owned by Microsoft, and will be a feature of the ps3 sometime around right after we can cross game chat with Xbox Live users, aka never.
    I think this sums it up perfectly. I think they also know that a good percentage of ps3 users have hi-def equipment and as such a regular divx will never compete with a 30 dollar Sony Blu Ray Disc. So why the hell would they ever allow a technology that competes with something they just spent billions developing?

    I think Hulu being blocked from the ps3 is further evidence of Sony's zeal to protect their content (read "screw us"), similar in fashion to the mkv affair.

    And please don't tell me mkv's aren't in the firmware because Sony doesn't have the time / effort / etc... They built a machine suitable for supercomputing, I'm sure it wouldn't take too long

  10. #20
    Contributor semitope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by setTopbox View Post
    I think this sums it up perfectly. I think they also know that a good percentage of ps3 users have hi-def equipment and as such a regular divx will never compete with a 30 dollar Sony Blu Ray Disc. So why the hell would they ever allow a technology that competes with something they just spent billions developing?

    I think Hulu being blocked from the ps3 is further evidence of Sony's zeal to protect their content (read "screw us"), similar in fashion to the mkv affair.

    And please don't tell me mkv's aren't in the firmware because Sony doesn't have the time / effort / etc... They built a machine suitable for supercomputing, I'm sure it wouldn't take too long
    I am saying they have no reason to. They have other things to do than to support mkv that aren't used commercially and aren't used by the majority of people who have videos to watch. It doesn't really stop piracy since the PS3 supports other formats that can be used to watch HD pirated media. DVD business is still important to sony, who wants to throw away money just because there is a new thing out there?

    Doesnt the ps3 have digital HD video downloads? Wouldn't that compete with BluRay as well?

    Hulu wasn't blocked by sony, hulu did that themselves I believe.
    Last edited by semitope; 09-08-2009 at 09:57 AM

 

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News