Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Speculation: No Ultra HD for Sony's Next-gen PS4 Console?

Sponsored Links
    While Sony previously confirmed that developers will play a key role in building their next-gen console which is expected to arrive after the Microsoft and Nintendo counterparts, today PS4Sony.net (linked above) speculates that the PS4 won't include Ultra HD support.

Based on specifications from [Register or Login to view links], they surmise the technology just doesn't seem feasible for next-gen consoles including the PlayStation 4.

To quote: "Today, Full HD offers up a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080, whereas the new you-beaut Ultra HD offers a whopping max resolution of 7680 x 4320!

Ultra HD poses numerous practical problems for manufacturers seeking to bring the new format to consumers. The uncompressed video and audio recorded in ultra HD takes up high volumes of storage space - 3.5 terabytes for one 18-minute clip, requiring a hard disc weighing almost 600 pounds (272 kg).

The prototype ultra HD screen can use more electricity than an entire house might in one month. An early ultra HD camera weighs more than 100 pounds (45 kg).

I don't know about you but something just jumps out and screams "not enough bandwidth" in this picture. Even if Sony's new 1TB disc surfaces over the next few years, that's only sufficient enough to store a massive 6-and-a-bit minute Ultra HD movie!

Don't expect this technology to be anywhere close to be implemented within your PS4 console, regardless of Internet hype."

Speculation: No Ultra HD for Sony's Next-gen PS4 Console?

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'd say I have to agree with their Ultra HD speculation for PS4... the way I see it, we will probably be still adapting and using HDTV for at least another decade or more.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I'd say I have to agree with their Ultra HD speculation for PS4... the way I see it, we will probably be still adapting and using HDTV for at least another decade or more.
    At least I would say as well. They can't even build a good 3d 1080p screen that's practical for consumers.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The uncompressed video and audio recorded in ultra HD takes up high volumes of storage space – 3.5 terabytes for one 18-minute clip, requiring a hard disc weighing almost 600 pounds (272 kg).
    2 things. 1)ITS UNCOMPRESSED VIDEO of course its going to huge. 2)3.5TB fits on 2x3.5" hdd, weighing 2 to 3 pounds each... Why in the world would it take 600LBS?!?

I also 90% sure the PS3 can handle SNES at UHD resolution, 60fps. PS4 WILL support UHD, but don't expect intense video games to use it. (Take for example MGS4 for PS3 (720P title released fairly recently) )

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    2 things. 1)ITS UNCOMPRESSED VIDEO of course its going to huge. 2)3.5TB fits on 2x3.5" hdd, weighing 2 to 3 pounds each... Why in the world would it take 600LBS?!?

I also 90% sure the PS3 can handle SNES at UHD resolution, 60fps. PS4 WILL support UHD, but don't expect intense video games to use it. (Take for example MGS4 for PS3 (720P title released fairly recently) )
    Honestly, I really don't think it will. Considering PS4 is within 5 years away, and that UHD tv's, even if they were around then - the problem is there is no graphics capability to output that resolution, not even on a PC, short of multiple monitors/cards.

Since, we all know graphics processors are "lowest bidder" sort of things, having something that high end in a system - just is not going to happen.

3D HDTV will be embraced, hugely. Add in motion sensing , and that is your next generation - sad, but true!

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Honestly, I really don't think it will.
    You're most likely correct taking into account that its a bidding system to get integrated in the console. Hopefully MS and Nintendo release their systems first, only to find Sony held out for Quantum processors. (A lot can happen in 5 years )

I suppose we'll have to settle for 4K :-/

As CJPC said, our next gen consoles are 3D and motion controlled. Of course we'll still use handheld controllers, but the big 3 are pushing those technologies big time. It's just not possible that we'll have UHD in next gen consoles. That is very far away.

Of course there won't be UltraHD, the TVs don't even actually exist for consumers and the PS4 is at most 3 years away. No install base. Literally 0. There is no one they could sell the feature to!

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    2)3.5TB fits on 2x3.5" hdd, weighing 2 to 3 pounds each... Why in the world would it take 600LBS?!?
    Because you need a fast raid system to access 3.5tb in 18min. It has to be able to read about (3'500'000/18/60) 3'241mb/s. A normal consumer hard drive is still below 150mb/s. This means at least a 20 disk system...

Edit: Also remember, they built the system in 2005 when disks were smaller and slower than today.
    Last edited by phr0z30n; 11-09-2010 at 04:32 AM

I never seen a UHD in real life, but hope to see one in the next years on some conferences. I don't think this TV's will be for private customers available in the next few years. I mean, who of us have so much space to stand there a 70" - 90" ? Let's wait and see what the time will bring.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News