Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sony Secretly Raises PlayStation 3 Repair Fee on Launch Consoles

Sponsored Links
    According to AnalogHype.com (linked above), Sony has secretly raised the PlayStation 3 repair fee on launch consoles this week.

Apparently they used to charge a flat $150 service fee, which has now been quietly increased to $179.

To quote: "Sony Computer Entertainment secretly raised the price for servicing your PlayStation 3 at the beginning of this week. Originally a $150 flat rate fee including shipping has gone up to $179.

Sony is pushing to have the launch consoles replaced with the new 120 gb Playstation 3 Slim. All you have to do is pay $120 and lose your backward compatible console for the new and improved PS3 Slim."

Sony Secretly Raises PlayStation 3 Repair Fee on Launch Consoles

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Wait, so if my PS3 breaks down, I can send it in, plus $120 to get a PS3 Slim in exchange?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by spark32 View Post
    Wait, so if my PS3 breaks down, I can send it in, plus $120 to get a PS3 Slim in exchange?
    No, you'll most likely get a refurbished fat PS3. The remark about the PS3 Slim meant to imply that Sony raised the repair fee in order to get most people to say "screw it, I might as well just get a new Slim".

Registered User wilkinsonjohn99's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    So when my 60gb console breaks i can pay to have a replacement that does less than what i already have??

In Australia if you have a 60gb and send it in for repair ($250AU) they rebuild that machine, you only get a refurbished machine back when you send in anything other than a backwards compatible one.

Quote Originally Posted by edisinsane View Post
    No, you'll most likely get a refurbished fat PS3. The remark about the PS3 Slim meant to imply that Sony raised the repair fee in order to get most people to say "screw it, I might as well just get a new Slim".
    Yes I agree with this. I thought about this last night when my PS3 decided to scare the snot out of me by not reading PS3 games. (It began working this morn)

I went through it before and if it fails again I will buy a slim instead!

I guess my question now though is the warantee still only 90 days?
    Last edited by Nairb; 12-21-2009 at 07:28 PM

Yikes. That $179 makes me think I need to take better care of my 60gig console. I guess I probably will just buy a slim if it ever breaks, though...

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News