Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Since the replacement they're offering won't play ps2 games you could argue that it isn't a like for like replacement and so demand a refund of your original purchase price for the ps3 as well as the extended warranty and then use that to go out and buy a (now cheaper) ps3 without backwards compatibility and a newly price-dropped slim ps2.

Not ideal but probably the best you'll be able to get. Also, I find that when dealing with unhelpful company reps it helps to stay calm and threaten small claims legal action against them if they refuse to be reasonable and deal with you fairly.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The warranty says the selection of model is "at SCEA's option." They can choose whatever model they want. I seriously doubt they would lose a legal battle over something that's covered in their warranty.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by D3M0N2009 View Post
    dn2500f, deal with it; you are getting back an improved console which is cheaper to manufacturer, and if you loose PS2 backwards compatibility who cares?, I own a PS3 to play PS3 games, I own a PS2 & PS1 to play their respective games. Quit crying and accept the damn console as it is.
    Improved console how?? One plays even the PS2 Titles and other one only PS3.So which one is improved? And ofcourse backward compatibility is essential in electronics. I dont want to buy a Blu Ray writer, A DVD Writer and And a CD writer at the same time. So same thing here. This is just ripping off customers. this guy should go to court.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by soumyajit360 View Post
    Improved console how?? One plays even the PS2 Titles and other one only PS3.So which one is improved? And ofcourse backward compatibility is essential in electronics. I dont want to buy a Blu Ray writer, A DVD Writer and And a CD writer at the same time. So same thing here. This is just ripping off customers. this guy should go to court.
    Not really court. It is at their option to provide backwards compatibility, not any requirement whatsoever. Why they didn't really take advantage of backwards combatibility, or rather, took it out, I have no idea. IMO, it was one of the prime reasons for the success of the PS2, because early games really sucked hard, and there wasn't much choice.

But it's Sony, you'll never understand these guys.

I like Rob78's idea, but Sony wouldn't go for it. gtsa has a point too. I think Sony figured that they would offer PS2-compatibility initially, but then after more games came out, they'd drop it due to cost.

Honestly... PS2 games (graphically) suck compared to the PS3. Before I got my PS3, I hooked my PS2 up to my new 32" Toshiba flatscreen and in less than five minutes, the PS2 was back in the box it had lived in for the previous several years. It just looked horrible with such low-res graphics. It's also the reason I got a PS3 over a Wii -- why do I want to buy a "new" console with graphics basically the same as a PS2???

Since PS2s and their games are going for almost nothing on eBay, I decided to keep it. I have my PS2 hooked up in the bedroom to my little 20" flatscreen (4x3), and it looks ever so much better, probably since that TV isn't HD. It's still fun to play SSX on it.

But I have to appreciate how the guy must feel when Sony won't replace his PS3 with the same one they can't fix. And since they won't do it the way Rob78 suggested, I would hope they would at least offer him a PS3/160 with a 5yr warranty. That would be a bit more fair, I think.

Sony has an opportunity to really stand out in terms of customer service. Hopefully they'll do that.

Rob

Well how can they anyways? They've been phased out for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshirtkyd View Post
    Well how can they anyways? They've been phased out for a while now.
    It is not unusal to keep a spare parts stock of discontinued sku's.

Your also all forgetting that he also loses SA-CD capabilities! Something I wish they left in...

Quote Originally Posted by soumyajit360 View Post
    If you had bothered to read my second reply on the first page you would know how and since you are too lazy to go back and read it, you can see it below;

As for backward compatibility being essential that is not entirely true, as your example can not be compared to backwards compatibility of games, you say that it is essential for a Blu-Ray player to read & write to DVD's and CD's, that is fine as a hardware modification is not required for it to be able to do that, because it was built from the ground up to read all formats. Whereas here a hardware modification was implemented for it to work.

As for the person taking Sony to court over this he should, and then we can all watch him loose and laugh at him.

Quote Originally Posted by D3M0N2009 View Post
    I do not consider any of what I have previously wrote to be "BS", as for my "improved" console statment I will agree it isn't really the right word in this context; but the new PS3's do have their advantages over the old ones, they use far less power, they have a die shrink on both CPU and GPU so they produce less heat, which intern should make them more reliable over the long run, its clear that Sony removed backwards compatibility for a reason, which in this case is that they where loosing money and the bottom line is that no company want's to loose money. Although I am confident that Sony will release a software based emulator for all PS3 consoles.

Sony should at LEAST give people whose Launch PS3s die and under warranty to Not only provide a replacement PS3 but a PS2 slim.

My warranty ended in february of this year so Im screwed regardless and since my PS3 been freezing randomly in games, that doesn't help

Thatīs sucks to buy a old PS3 for the PS2 Compatiblity.

Buy a NEW PS3 + PS2 and good.

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News