Sony: The PS3 Shortage is Over, Sales Up 85 Percent Last Year

Today IGN (linked above) reports that Sony has confirmed the PS3 shortage is officially over, with sales up 85 percent over last year.

According to http://www.npd.com/, the PlayStation 3 console moved 305k units in June, up from 165k units in June of 2009.

Additionally, Sony noted that there are nearly 13 million PS3 units in living rooms across the U.S. and that hardware unit sales are up 85 percent since June 2009 and 42 percent since January 2010.

To quote: "PS3 inventory issues have been resolved and June 2010 marks the 11th consecutive month of year on year growth for the platform," the company said in a statement.

"Video games are fueling new innovation for the entire consumer entertainment category and today's numbers are a testament to the big impact we'll play this holiday," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.

Sony: The PS3 Shortage is Over, Sales Up 85 Percent Last Year

More PlayStation 3 News...

Thumbs Down

I don't believe ONE WORD of THIS , I'm sorry... $ony have to admit that the PS3 is not growing UP like PS1 and PS2 in the market, then of corse from a point of less units selling it is probably that to increase a little bit MEANS 85%

Its indeed not believable... It sounds like fake numbers so they hope they get new stock people

Wonder how they feel about MS selling 50% more Xboxes than they did PS3's. Sure, it's the first full month of Xbox 360 S sales, but when the PS3 slim was launched, they didn't have the same lead.

It comes as no surprise that the Xbox is out selling the PS3. It may be largely due to the fact that modding the 360 for backups is easily done.

I'll admit that i have a modded 360. I was banned just after Christmas for having a modded 360 but i argued that i didn't have had a modded 360 console as i had only received it from Microsoft themselves, as a replacement for an older console which had the RROD, a week prior to the ban. As usual they don't care so i went out and paid to get modded and now i will never buy another original game for it out of principal.

In contrast, i have probably bought 12 original games for my PS3 in the past 6 months. I can't explain why but i prefer to play my PS3 console a hell of a lot more than my 360 as for some unknown explanation, i find it a more enjoyable experience. Do any of you guy's find this to be the same?

If it is true about the low stock shortages then surely that can only be a good thing. Maybe, in time, we'll get more exclusive titles that suit the PS3's style of gaming. I dislike Microsoft as they just seem to throw money at developers in order to secure what were supposed to be multi-platform titles on to the 360.

Surely this can only serve to stifle development in the future for any of the platforms.

Anyway, rant over.

I'm looking forward to an active and enjoyable experience on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by chomerly View Post
    In contrast, i have probably bought 12 original games for my PS3 in the past 6 months. I can't explain why but i prefer to play my PS3 console a hell of a lot more than my 360 as for some unknown explanation, i find it a more enjoyable experience. Do any of you guy's find this to be the same?
    I think its the integration the psn offers with the games that make you want to buy a game for the ps3 instead of pirating. Knowing that you will get trophys, online support, DLC and other stuff that with a modded 360 you wont get. Trophys and achivements also motivate the player to extend at least an hour or two the game play by trying to get the easy trophys/achivements that you didnt get on your first run.

I have a jtagged 360 that its now collecting dust in my closet and didnt feel any reward for getting an achivement when playing a game like bioshock 2. It felt so uninspiring that no one could see that achivement and that probably my console will break and even my profile wont hold any of that information or achivement. Sure the game is good, but I didnt even finish it because it didnt give me the pleasure of my psn-integration.

I know a lot of people can say, well just go legit on the xbox and you can get the exact same stuff or even more if you buy their gold subscription. But the truth is microsoft is not as loyal as Sony, compare the lifespan of the ps2 vs the xbox1 and youll see what I mean. The xbox is just a money grabber and even their exclusives feel so empty compared to Sony exclusives. I think everyone just feels confortable with one console or another, but facts are facts sony delivers more to their legit users vs miscrosoft IMO.

Cheers
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 07-16-2010 at 01:16 PM

adrianc1982 i have to agree with you. My 360 is still legit in terms of being able to use it online, for the time being, but i expect a major new release followed by a new update for the console to change that.

The PS3 seems to want to give the end user a lot more for their money, regardless of the removal of the Other OS option. I will admit that i was apprehensive about buying the PS3 at first because of the cost, the lack of games at the time and the poor experience i had with the three 360's i had before the one i have now which all suffered the RROD.

I'll admit, the PS3 was a shocker in terms of it's feel, quality and experience. I'm very happy with the choice i made.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    I know a lot of people can say, well just go legit on the xbox and you can get the exact same stuff or even more if you buy their gold subscription. But the truth is microsoft is not as loyal as Sony, compare the lifespan of the ps2 vs the xbox1 and youll see what I mean. The xbox is just a money grabber and even their exclusives feel so empty compared to Sony exclusives. I think everyone just feels confortable with one console or another, but facts are facts sony delivers more to their legit users vs miscrosoft IMO.
    You can prefer the PS3, but Sony's executives do not deserve anything positive to be said about them ever. The PS3 loses functionality every hardware and software update, including core functionality that they advertised and justified charging more for their (at the time) gameless game system.

Their marketing department lies on a daily basis. Just look at this article. They are saying that the poor sales are due to a shortage that doesn't exist. In fact I have never seen shortage of PS3s, aside from some of the 'better' models like the 20/60GB, and in those cases, there were plenty of the current model available. And, don't even get me started on how their system that lacks backwards compatibility and OtherOS does "everything". Every version of the 360 in existence supports backwards compatibility (with HDD), and the upscaling via HDMI is great.

They chose April 1st to remove OtherOS so that their customers would think it was a joke and not be as outraged as they should be. According to customer support, if you blindly apply the update without reading the TOS, as most people do, you would lose all of your personal data in Linux. These are the executives you are praising as being less empty. I would take empty executives over evil ones anyday.

While is was sad that M$ pulled the plug on the original Xbox, it was a rational business decision. Their deal with Nvidia did not scale their cut downward as the MSRP of the system dropped.

As a result, M$ could never lower the price of the Xbox to where it would need to be to continue competing with the PS2. So they choose to kill it early, and begin the next generation. Since their deal with ATI this time around does scale, there is no indication that they will kill the 360 early.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    You can prefer the PS3, but Sony's executives do not deserve anything positive to be said about them ever. The PS3 loses functionality every hardware and software update, including core functionality that they advertised and justified charging more for their (at the time) gameless game system.

Their marketing department lies on a daily basis. Just look at this article. They are saying that the poor sales are due to a shortage that doesn't exist. In fact I have never seen shortage of PS3s, aside from some of the 'better' models like the 20/60GB, and in those cases, there were plenty of the current model available. And, don't even get me started on how their system that lacks backwards compatibility and OtherOS does "everything". Every version of the 360 in existence supports backwards compatibility (with HDD), and the upscaling via HDMI is great.

They chose April 1st to remove OtherOS so that their customers would think it was a joke and not be as outraged as they should be. According to customer support, if you blindly apply the update without reading the TOS, as most people do, you would lose all of your personal data in Linux. These are the executives you are praising as being less empty. I would take empty executives over evil ones anyday.

While is was sad that M$ pulled the plug on the original Xbox, it was a rational business decision. Their deal with Nvidia did not scale their cut downward as the MSRP of the system dropped.

As a result, M$ could never lower the price of the Xbox to where it would need to be to continue competing with the PS2. So they choose to kill it early, and begin the next generation. Since their deal with ATI this time around does scale, there is no indication that they will kill the 360 early.
    Can't argue with any of your points kraken, business is business and these companys exist to make the most out of their business decisions. Anyway so far sony even though has been removing features like otheros and has done some aweful stuff they have got things right with gaming and their playstation1, 2 and 3. Microsoft on the other hand has got a console with a very short lifespan and now with the 360 has been dealing with RROD issues also these are the same people that charge for a gold subscription vs free online play. My point here is even if they had a tough decision with the xbox 1 thats not my problem as an end user and also rushing their 360 affected me on my two 360s I owned.

The 360 has backward compatibility but its very very limited compared to the backward compatibility the ps3 has, in fact the BC the 360 brags about is only for a couple hundred titles or so. And even if sony execs are misleading at least the machine has top notch hardware features like their bluray player versus the dvd player the 360 has(not trying to start a fanboy fight). Or how about the same execs that require you to buy expensive propietary hardware? So I have to agree microsoft has done some stuff right, but sony has been around for much longer and has proven to be a solid gaming machine.

The xbox360 is really popular I cant deny that and like I said business is business but like I said before some will feel confortable with one console, some others will feel confortable with the other. Again Im not trying to start a fanboy fight but I those microsoft execs are greedy and even though Im not married to a console I will stick FOR NOW with sony. Cheers