Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony: PS3 Firmware 3.0 Features Just Wild Speculation

Sponsored Links
    Today IGN has published a statement from Sony's Product Publicity Rep on the rumored PS3 Firmware 3.0 features.

To quote: The worldwide Web is abuzz with another PlayStation 3 rumor. This one claims that PS3 Firmware 3.0 will be out by Christmas and bring a complete overhaul in the vein of the new Xbox Experience.

The rumor says you can expect background patch downloading, a reputation system, and more.

Sony says that's B.S. as follows:

"These rumors are completely untrue, nothing has been announced or confirmed for upcoming PlayStation firmware, and this is just wild speculation," said Jennifer Clark, director of SCEA product publicity.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    didnt sony say that about the ps3 slim rumours, which are quickly coming to fruition??

or that a new psp model wasn't coming out (ok, they said psp-4000 wasn't coming out, but psp-go... that's just semantics!)

so there's still life in the rumour mill yet

with that said though, the rumoured features in fw3 are very appealing and a wish list come true for alot of people, but why would this fw revision's features be leaked when we're still on fw2.76/2.8?

surely sony would be excitedly working on 2.9, gearing up changes for a fw3 if it was to deliver on its rumours - like in the past when they have announced that a fw will b making changes to allow for new upcoming features

nice if its true.
    not a big loss if it aint.

Sponsored Links

Big Grin

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    didnt sony say that about the ps3 slim rumours, which are quickly coming to fruition??

or that a new psp model wasn't coming out (ok, they said psp-4000 wasn't coming out, but psp-go... that's just semantics!)
    Yup! Just like that said the only change in 2.8 was the playback quality of some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved.

So no, I don't put too much trust in them... as sure as I'm typing this reply, I feel both a PS3 Slim and a PS Phone will arrive despite Sony's constant denial of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    as sure as I'm typing this reply, I feel both a PS3 Slim and a PS Phone will arrive despite Sony's constant denial of them.
    haha yeh i cant believe after sony told sony ericson that they cant use the playstation brand for their phones or utilise games, that they are bringing out a sony ericson which has supposedly got remote play features with ps3 allowing psp and ps1 games to be played!

(http://www.ps3news.com/psp-ps-vita-n...lly-a-reality/)
    i feel like sony has gone back to the inconsistent ways it once had at the beggining of the ps3's life!
    "b/c is important to us" ---> removed.
    "digital downloads are not the way forward like MS say it is" --> psn store (not necessarily a bad point, but inconsistent non-the-less)

the only consistency that sony has kept through out is the ever allusive price cut *sigh*

lets hope that sony will learn to just come out with the truth or go back to the "no comment" on speculation ways.

Wonder if these people ever get tired of lying. Its gettin ridiculous now the way they deny everything and even outright say something is not going to happen then a month later BAM! it happens

Its just their culture, deny it till the end.

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    Wonder if these people ever get tired of lying. Its gettin ridiculous now the way they deny everything and even outright say something is not going to happen then a month later BAM! it happens

Its just their culture, deny it till the end.
    True, they said Home was just a possible application and it may not even come out. But look at it now, it has become one of the main things people use to keep in touch with friends and fellow gamers.

Wink Idk About Rumors

Im not criticising anyone, and pretty awsome thread by the way, but do you guys remember a little thing called ps3 firmware 2.80? the web went crazy about it, their were so many rumors going around about all the new things it was going to have.

Ingame chat was one of the biggest, and when it came time to download update 2.80... nothing just some speed boost, and some playback improvements!! I have no doubt in my mind that sony will bring something that will seperate the ps3 from any other console, but believing in rumors just gets you pumped up for nothing, ive been disappointed way too much times before, so im just going to sit and wait for the official ps3 update 3.0, thats my opinion!!

But absolutely great post though, it gave me chills!! <(^,^)>

I really wouldn't get excited about this. It may have some nice features, but I very much doubt that you can compare it to the NXE... I would doubt Sony would drastically change their UI since it's also on the PSP (and also their TV's?). They want to keep a unified interface it seems like.

But hey, I'm all for surprises!

Just to clarify, i dont necessarily believe what the rumours say. I am just pointing out that they would deny anything , true or false. Basically dont ever listen to what the cooperate types say, lol.

Well well well, the rumor mill has turned again. These firmware rumors are second only to price drop rumors in annoyance, IMO. It's all fine and dandy to speculate on what Sony's going to do, but seriously I think we all need to calm down on these topics and just let everything happen when it happens. We get excited about things we WANT to see happen, so people come up with rumors that feed off of that, and articles get posted, then people get disappointed when it doesn't happen like the rumor said. Here's what I have to say about this:

1. Sony will ALWAYS deny rumors. This is pretty much a policy every company holds, because they don't want anything "secret" getting out. Conversely, just because they deny something doesn't mean it's real or unreal because they will deny both. Therefore, don't pay too much attention to Sony denying anything.

2. I doubt Sony's going to overhaul their OS/GUI. It would be cool if they did, but I just don't see it happening. This is not based on any evidence, it just seems that Sony releases their updates in little bits without any big revelations.

3. All that being said, Sony does need to add some features that users (and I) have been clamoring for, namely:
    a. In-game chat
    b. Background patch downloading
    c. More visualizations
    d. Support for standard playlist formats (.m3u) and no cap on locally made playlists
    e. A more robust PSN experience, including this "reputation" system, to make their internet experience more appealing in comparison to X-Box Live

And finally, the big one.......
    f. FREAKING PS2 SUPPORT.... seriously there is no reason this can't be added since the most recent iteration is software emulation. I'm so pissed I waited until I could afford a PS3 with the understanding I could play PS2 games (I never owned a PS2) and it was REMOVED. I know I could buy a used PS2, but it's the principle that matters. They shouldn't have removed the feature to begin with. If nothing else they need to make it a paid download add-on if money is the issue. I know I would pay for it.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News