Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sony PS3 Gets Fried in Mysterious Psyclone HDMI Cable Blaze

Sponsored Links
    A PS3 owner has revealed to Gizmodo (linked above) that his Sony PlayStation 3 console became a little burnt after plugging in a Psychlone HDMI cable.

The big fry up ended after around 10 seconds once the cord had eventually melted off, however, it still caused quite a bit of damage.

To quote: "He had his PS3 plugged into an electrical source although it wasn't running any games at the time of this. He plugged in his Psyclone HDMI cable from his Samsung 32-inch flatpanel TV to the PS3 when the sparks started flying.

A flame actually shot up out of the PS3, and sparks were firing out of both ends where the HDMI cable met with the ports. The mess ended in 10 seconds when the cord melted off. Pictures included.

We cannot figure out why/how this occurred. No breakers were tripped, no damage or discoloration to any wall outlets or other power sources. Only the HDMI ports."

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Exclamation

Sponsored Links
    holy crap i didn't know this could happen to a hdmi cable

can the guy make something about this damage?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Back in november i posted the following on after dawn (forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-153/wierd_ps3_fan_and_hdmi_problem-813506/)

ok this one is a wierd one

on hdmi i have a cheap 4 way manual switcher and its configured thusly

ps3 ---> sw
    360 ---> it
    v+ ---> ch ---> 720p projector
    pc ---> er

now the ps3 sits behind my head and the other nite i could hear clicking despite the fact it was turned off, i placed my hand behind the ps3 and could feel airflow from it, nothing major just a gentle draft and the clicking was the fan just doing its thing(not loud) so i turned the switch on it to off (best explain i have a 40gb europe model if that helps) the clicking persisted as did the draft so i unpluged the power cable.....still it clicked still the draft so i unpluged all the usb cables ....still it clicked still the draft. i unpluged the network cable (renembering you can buy cameras powered by the network cable) ......it carried on clicking ...i was freaked out, i unpluged the hdmi cable the clicking stoped

anyone with ps3 please try this unplug all but your hdmi, have your tv on standby and tell me if the fan goes on at the back

any experts does hdmi provide current? should i be afraid am i frying my ps3? i tried google and got no relevent results
    Someone replied with:
    HDMI does provide a reference voltage... plenty to run a fan. My 40GB NA unit has no such issues, but then my fan never clicks to begin with. If my PS3 fan started clicking, I would get a replacement.
    So im thinking if its enough current to spin the fan then one crossed wire and you get sparks (you can create sparks with just a batterie and some coper wire)

(oh my ps3 is fine all this time on and the clicking was very quiet)

Quote Originally Posted by hecz View Post
    holy crap i didn't know this could happen to a hdmi cable

can the guy make something about this damage?
    Don't really know - namely, of course (most people forget) but you should have your devices off (and ideally - unplugged) while connecting HDMI cables (or nearly any, for that fact) due to the potential of different grounds, etc.

Furthermore - If I recall, back when the PS3 came out, Sony pulled something along the lines of giving people trouble if they did not use a Sony HDMI cable (remember?) - doubt that is the case now, but still an interesting little tidbit!

Lightbulb

For this kind of damage to happen, the shield in the hdmi connector (either in the TV or the PS3) must have come in contact with the AC power line. Could be a faulty power connector with switched ground/line cables.

Is this a DEV console? My PS3 has no Service port etc.

The first pic is of the Samsung 32-inch flatpanel TV, the last is of the PS3 basically.

Lightbulb

I would keep watch here ([Register or Login to view links]) to see if anybody else has the same problem, or even file a complaint somewhere, Psyclone had a recall on a 4-Dock Battery Recharge Station for use with the Wii,
    Last edited by stomp442; 01-16-2010 at 02:57 PM

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News