Im already looking forward to a slim lol jk
The PS3 tech will last a long time if Sony don't mess up, this year they need
- more backwards compatability, which is already implemented but disabled
- more DLC, full trophy support (Sony have a policy now of no trophies no release)
- A lot more store releases and not just on a Thursday
- More PS1 and PS2 titles on the store, which I think Sony are holding out for when the PS2 finally gets discontinued and then we will see a difference in store content
- Some cool XMB features (like a video editor), maybe a rehaul, its been around since PSX, so maybe an option to change the menu system would be cool, some people dont like the XMB.
- The music and video stores for Europe they've been waiting for approval on.
- RSX otherOS access (maybe not so important to most)
- Win over 3rd parties support.
- Demos always released before the game release date (why would Sony release some demos afterwards )
It's easy to say all of that, but its a lot of work for a company with 3 consoles while the others only focus on 1 each. And if they did implement most of what I said above, some people would want other features, so its hard for them to please everyone.
Most importantly, they need a price drop!
Once they ditch the PS2 Sony will be able to focus more on the PS3, and so will the developers.
In terms of capabilities, the PS3 will last a long time, because of Bluray etc.