Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony Patents Degradable Video Game Demos Like PSN Titles

Sponsored Links
    Similar to what was done with PSN titles including Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, a recent patent filing by Sony has been found for a new demo system that slowly degrades the game as it is played.

Essentially this means the more hours you put into a downloaded PSP or PS3 demo, the more the demo's gameplay diminishes.

For example, as you continue to play a video game demo, your weapons might decrease in value (size, quality, etc.). It's essentially a system that adds a time limit to a demo.

This new system is reportedly going to help people make the decision to buy the actual game instead of continuously playing the demo. Whether that will work or not is questionable.

To quote: "In one scenario your weapon is weakened or replaced with a less powerful one after so many hours playing the game. Think of it as a timed level down.

Another idea Sony has is to remove levels, race tracks in this example, after you reach a certain number of plays. When you finally buy the game (bottom right) you can use all of the tracks again."

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Why do you need to patent something like this? wtf.

Anyway, why not just put a simple timer on it that makes it unplayable after a certain number of uses or length of use on a psn account? Betas already lock you out once the beta period is over so its possible.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I want to know which guy in the sony corporate office had his infant doodle those diagrams

Lightbulb

Sounds like the http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...r-on-xbox-360/ news, just the other way around.. maybe the just cause guys should suited them for stealing theire idea

this seems like they want you to make a purchase decision after one play through of a demo. i don't know about anyone else, but i usually play a demo through many times to make the decision if i will buy the full game or not. and demos like the psn title tank battles, are far to short with the time limit. i was not able to make an informed decision to buy the game after playing the too short demo, so for now it will have to stay un-purchased by me. and seriously, with how short demos are as it is now, and how limited they are, there should not be any more restrictions placed on the demos.

this idea is obviously driven more by greed than any other factor. it's not like developers are losing any money by consumers playing demos for an infinite amount of time, as they are payed in installments by a publisher as the game is being developed. publishers are also not losing any money by consumers playing demos indefinitely. they are not making any more money from demos as they are now, but they are not losing any money. it's not like people are hacking/cracking demos to get the full version of games without paying for them.

hopefully it will be up to the developers whether they put self destructive qualities in their demos or not. if it becomes mandated by sony, i for one will not be downloading any more demos. i know that one person doing a solo boycott will not change anything, however i stand up to my principles no matter how unpopular or how few other people agree with me.

This is easily one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard. Basically now they want to make your demos even more worthless than before... and companies wonder why people pirate games before deciding whether or not to buy them. Maybe people wouldn't do that if companies offered proper demos to begin with. As if the demos weren't crappy enough 99% of the time, now they want to make them basically expire. Bravo Sony, bravo.
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 03-06-2010 at 05:55 AM

Honestly, this is a terrible idea. This may cause people to avoid demos, not "help people make the decision to buy the actual game."

i can see a lot of peoples points and though their not my problem with demos, same with sonys... demos miss several important things:

1) usually a demo is different than the final product in some way, like i recall you having more powers in infamous than you did at that point in the full game and etc

2) they dont tell you how long the actual game maybe, i played parapper the rapper demo ages ago and it was seriously 15%+ of the total game
    etc

finally this will fail in the end since the only demo people would play endlessly are already dead like U2, mag, and bfbc 2.

Well - again - apart of mostly useless Demos anyway released often weeks or even months after game itself is released they're now going to cripple this even more? Pff. The only result would be an increase in amount of PSN accounts as people will simply create multiply account to go around the time limit on demos
    Last edited by GrandpaHomer; 03-06-2010 at 04:35 PM

Guys, just get yourself a jtag xbox360 and it probably going to solve 80% of your problems (20% being the PSN exclusive)!!!

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News