Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony to Officially Open PS3 and PSP to Third-Party Applications?

Sponsored Links
    Last week's Media/Investor Conference indicated that starting in 2010 Sony may officially open its PS3 and PSP platforms to third-party applications.

Sony also recently launched a Digital Comics Reader application for the PSP and PSPgo consoles.

Today Gamerzines.com (linked above) expands on that notion as follows, to quote:

"Sony has always had an unusual relationship with third party software (we're not talking games). The PS2 explicitly allowed the running of Linux on it.

The PS3 came with Linux support, which ended up with some institutions buying PS3s in bulk in order to run them in parallel as a cheap sort of super-computer (there's no cheaper way to get the Cell chip, apparently). Then Sony removed the Linux option from the PS3 Slim.

Sony has constantly battled with homebrew on the PSP. It has always been in the name of piracy, but the end result has been that it has been impossible to run third-party applications on the PSP, and the ability to do so on the PS3 has effectively been removed.

It was therefore a little surprising to see just how the Digital Comics feature has been implemented on the PSP. Although you need the latest firmware installed, the comic reader isn't part of the firmware. Instead, you have to manually download the software to a folder you create on the PSP called "APP".

The look and feel of the comics app isn't all that in keeping with the PSP itself, and it launches as a "game". It looks like a third-party developed application, though the support and distribution are official. However, appearing in the "Extras" menu, it has us wondering what other "Extra" apps we might get."

Sony to Officially Open PS3 and PSP to Third-Party Applications?

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    meh even if its opened up to "3rd party" nothing says, it will be really used or even a big deal. Sony has a problem i've been noticing more and more, of adding something and giving it little to no support...

Dynamic themes: those came out, but so few at the start... several weeks later Japan only has 4, EU has like 7 and US has like 8 =\... and hardly are that impressive *outside of the 2 free EU ones* ESP the demons souls one...

Qore: when I finally bought a ps3, i got this shortly into it for the free spyro, and as time goes really they give it little to no support at all... anything they put in there becomes common knowledge online via news, nothing free is that special... the themes are a joke if you ever look at them, and really sony shows no support for it in general...

prem avatars: unless this color change thing are them, still no word on them... =\

etc

i just dont see it becoming common practice Y_Y

Sponsored Links

Smile

Sponsored Links
    Well, it may turn out to be something very interesting. But on the other hand I don't think Sony is that dumb to make homebrew possible on the PS3.

I think that if Sony does implement support for 3rd party, it will only be on purpose for open piracy barriers.

I expect to see more apps like this, however, they will be things like Facebook and Twitter, and Sony is going to keep a tight leash on it. I don't expect to see anything resembling homebrew.

When I think of homebrew I think of true ownership of a system... Having the ability to change the system in any way that one wants and add functionality without being dependent on the developer make software that they want.

I don't think about piracy being a big part of homebrew although that is something that always happens when homebrew is released. Homebrew to me is an awesome way to play new games for free-games hat others have made and share with a homebrew community, not stealing games that can be rented from blockbuster for 2 dollars.

So does this mean we can expect a program akin to XNA for the playstation 3?

Cool

come on sony, just release a SDK and a way to distribute our apps.

I think some people confuse what homebrew is..

Homebrew is not limited to backup launchers and such things. Sony will probably do it similar to the iphone appstore from apple.

Do you people really not see the big picture?

Sony couldn't care less about HomeBrew as far as running your own applications. The main thing they are concerned over is the use of unlocked systems to play pirated games.

If they released an SDK to develop our own applications, it would probably make the system more vulnerable, allowing other methods to pirate software.

I seriously doubt they will open the PSP to allow anyone to develop applications for it. Only approved APPS through Sony are going to get released. It is the only way to secure the system and control it from being used to pirate more software.

Consider the fact that Sony would not make any money by letting your average person make apps for the PSP. Sony is a business. If they can't make any money, they probably won't do it.

Lets face it, the PSP was never designed to run third party applications to begin with (other than games, which is still limited to developers, and must pass through Sony).

If you really want APPS, get the new Motorolla DROID (or you could get an iphone on the horrible ATT network, which makes it kinda useless...)...

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News