Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sony Misses PS3 Targets in Japan

Sponsored Links
    January 9, 2007 - Despite promises of a million systems at Japanese retail by the end of 2006, Japanese publisher Enterbrain reports today that Sony has managed to sell just 466,716 PS3 units to Japan. This figure covers the period from the Japanese launch on 11/11 to the end of the year.

In comparison, Enterbrain reports that Nintendo managed to sell 989,118 Wii units from the 12/2 launch to the end of the year, with the number quickly jumping over the million mark for a total of 1,135,671 units by 1/7.

The firm didn't provide 2006 results for the Xbox 360, but did list the system as having sold a total of 290,467 units total from its 12/10/2005 launch to the end of 2006. In particular, spurred by the release of Blue Dragon, Microsoft managed to sell 99,798 360 units in December 2006 alone -- the highest month ever for the system (yes, that includes the launch).

Portable gaming has been Japan's big star over the past couple of years. Enterbrain reports total Japanese DS and DS Lite sales from 2004 until the end of 2006 as 13,950,000 units. The PSP, while nowhere near the DS, has managed a respectible 4,510,000 units since its launch.

In the case of the Wii, IGN has had trouble finding a system since launch, making today's reports of a million plus Wiis sold to Japanese consumers all the more impressive.

The PS3, on the other hand, has been readily available since the New Year began. We were able to find a used 60 gig unit today at a major retail for $50 less than the new selling price. This would suggest that the lack of sales is due to more than just supply constraints.

Thanks to [Register or Login to view links] for sharing the news with us!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    PS3 and 360 aren't selling because of a lack of games. No one wants a console that doesn't have anything interesting on it. As for the Wii, yeah it's cool now...but eventually you're gonna get tired of playing Mario and Zelda games considering that Nintendo has historically lacked in third party games. Wii might start out strong, but the 360 and PS3 will top off in the end.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by refuseamen View Post
    As for the Wii, yeah it's cool now...but eventually you're gonna get tired of playing Mario and Zelda games considering that Nintendo has historically lacked in third party games. Wii might start out strong, but the 360 and PS3 will top off in the end.
    I agree... which is why even when Wii iSOs are playable I still won't buy one. In my opinion the Wii is just a "fad" right now because it's new and relatively inexpensive... once people get tired of jumping around the room with their Wiimote they will save up and buy a PS3.

Of course for kids Wii may stay strong (no job/way to save up $600 for a PS3 + new Pokemon games = Wii). Don't get me wrong though, I see the novelty in the Wii and do feel it's a FUN console... just not one those over 30 will probably stick with for the next 3-5 years as the PS3/360 lowers in price.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Ok ok the Sleeping giant is ready to be awoken as soon as the big games start to come out. 2007 will be a big year for sony playing catch up as soon as the big guns come rolling. Having a dismal launch doesn't mean anything. Sony is always saving the best for last.

Quote Originally Posted by PS3News View Post
    In my opinion the Wii is just a "fad" right now because it's new and relatively inexpensive... once people get tired of jumping around the room with their Wiimote they will save up and buy a PS3.
    too funny and too true.... my girl is mad i didn't get one and got the PS3 instead, 'course, she's just looking at the short term and i'm looking at the long term - Wii will be collecting dust when the PS3 games start flooding in later this year! oh yeah, and the fact that my money isn't going towards another Nintendo until there's little ones running around my house.....

The way i see it is that wii will stay good and constant as games for it gets more creative. People who had a PS2 will most definitely want a PS3 because they liked the games in PS2 and know what's to come. I also agree that PS3 will get going as soon as more games become available.

I never feel wii and ps3 are mutually exclusive, it's just for different audience. Like Garcia mentioned, Wii is for girls (period). no no, j/k. Wii is successful because people are amused by the remote and games are for broader audiences.

However, the fight is more between xbox360 & PS3, for gamers who are looking forward to the hardcore games. If PS3 can keep their developer by their side rather than xbox360 playable, PS3 has higher chances to win against xbox.

I also realized that those who have xbox360 already (10 million people) most wouldn't purchase PS3s but are hoping for PS3 games to come out on xbox360 instead. So Microsoft has a real advantage in that sense.

In cases if most good PS3 games are also xbox360 games, PS3 will lose.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxing View Post
    Count me out on one of those xbox360-only people. I finally have ALL THREE SYSTEMS (just got Wii today). I just haven't the justification to break open the PS3 box yet, due to lack of good games. I'm sure they'll come.

As for my Wii.... let's just say it's OODLES & OODLES of fun. For the Xbox 360.... GOW, Assassin's Creed, Virtua Fighter 5 & Halo 3 by Xmas 2007. Second to none in ONLINE GAMING. 'Nuff Said.
    you must have a cool wife or girlfriend or maybe be single. I could never convince my wife to let me get all three systems, i don't think i'd really want all three anyway.

$ony had the same issue in the states only being able to push 500,000 ps2 consoles at launch. Years later, ps2 surpassed the gamecube and xbox in games and consoles combined. The only reason why I haven't purchased any console from micro$oft is because ever since I've had my psx I've never had any issues with any $ony hardware. Once I purchased a $ony console I never had to buy any "add-ons" or "upgrades" to enjoy my gaming experience. I don't get why so many people complained about the price of the ps3 being $599. 12 years ago the original playstation was selling for $399. I try my best to follow games and not consoles. If the Metal Gear and Final Fantasy series went to micro$oft I would trade my ps3 in for a 360.

My wife would let me get all three, I just don't see the need in getting all three. I think the Wii sold so much because of price point first of all. Second of all, overzealous parents are not going to blow a wad of cash on a 5 or 6 year old for something they might not even be interested in. I started my kids gaming young with handhelds and it took them a while to get into those even. It took years for them to warm up to the consoles. Even then, all they want to play is games they can relate to, which all have cartoonish graphics (most gamecube/wii games). They are not interested in COD3, GOW, SOCOM, FNR3, FF series, and the like... Different audience buys different consoles.

I wish there was more for the PS3, but we've been waiting this long. A few more months is not going to hurt. Besides, I still have my chipped XBOX, and most 360 titles come to the xbox1. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. I have never played xbox live, so I don't know what I'm missing there either. I like the free online play by Sony. I'm sure by the holiday 2007, the playing field will be even and the race will be very close. One of my friends has a 360 and he won't buy a PS3.

He doesn't want to shell out the money for the PS3... he has it, but can't see parting with it when he already has the 360. I'm sure a lot of other people see it the same way. There are a lot of us that have multiple systems more for braggin' rights I bet... just because we can afford it. Most everyone I know would not spend the cash on more than one system.

My $.02

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News