Just under a week ago this rumor surfaced, and today Sony Computer Entertainment of America's senior marketing manager John Kohler stated that the company is indeed interested in providing downloadable PlayStation 2 titles on the PlayStation 3 console.

He also went on to reiterate that using a larger 3rd-party hard drive on the PS3 is encouraged, and will not void the warranty in the interview as follows:

Let's talk more about that. I'd love to download my favorite PS2 games onto my PS3's hard drive so I don't have to worry about finding the discs. Will Sony ever provide downloadable PS2 games to play on the PS3?

We're still sorting through that. We're absolutely interested, but there are some technical hurdles there that we have to overcome first. But this is something that we're absolutely interested in. You make good points, there are a lot of people who would be interested in playing the strongest PS2 games on their PS3. Nothing's imminent on that, but it's something we are interested in as well.

With the release of the 160GB PlayStation 3 bundle, is storage space becoming less of an issue for the PS3? I recently installed a 500GB drive in my PS3 and I couldn't be happier.

We never want gamers to choose between having to delete a game or a movie they purchased on their hard drive because they ran out of space. We strongly encourage what you did - if you want to buy a third-party hard drive and install it, you are not voiding the warranty. That's something that's encouraged - we want PS3 owners to have as much space for content as possible. More PlayStation 3 News...