Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Registered User RadioactiveSoup's Avatar
    Sponsored Links

Sony Files a Patent For a Universal Video Game Controller

Sponsored Links
    Sony's recent [Register or Login to view links] filing indicates that a universal video game console controller may be joining the trend of such devices including universal TV remotes.

The Sony patent, which was filed in August 2008 but appeared online on February 18 of this year, reads to quote:

"Just like remote controls, game consoles, and thus game controllers, are becoming widespread. It is not surprising to find more than one game consoles in a household, especially when competing game console manufacturers attempt to attract unconventional consumer groups in the gaming industry.

As understood herein, it would be useful to have a universal controller that would be able to work with a variety of game consoles."

This controller would feature a touch sensitive liquid crystal display that would display various button layouts depending on the consoles. For example, a Nintendo console would pull up a Nintendo controller layout, a Microsoft console would pull up a Microsoft controller layout and a PlayStation console would pull up a PS controller layout.

The patent also notes that this controller will have a speaker and rumble. Though, this is interesting. From the patent:

"This document describes an adaptable or universal game controller which can be used to emulate the controllers of popular game consoles, such as, without limitation, the PlayStation.TM. made by Sony, a controller made by Nintendo, X-box.TM. game controllers made by Microsoft, Amiga CD-32.TM. controllers, Atari Jaguar.TM. controllers, Gravis Gamepad.TM. controllers, Sega controllers, and Turbographics controllers, one or more of which terms may be subject to trademark protection."

Sony Files a Patent For a Universal Video Game Controller

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    maybe they are planning to release some older system games on the ps store and want to give the consumers the experience that they are playing on the older systems with the button layouts we are used to using. this is one of the coolest ideas i have seen from sony. i'm just curious how resistant the touch screen is going to be to people "mashing" buttons like they do today with standard push button controllers.

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    I think this is a really smart move, saves on having to buy 4 controllers for each system, plus any friend can bring their own with out having to worry.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    That's awesome. not sure how a touch display would work tho. Its not the best for iphone games so we'll see..

This is interesting news indeed. I agree with livpool about the LCD touch controller, because it would feel kind of awkward (at first with no physical buttons) However what interests me the most is what the other companies (namely MS) think of this and their reaction. I can't imagine MS allowing any of this to occur due to the amount of profit that they could possibly lose, as stated above by a friend just bringing his own. Very interesting though.

Let us pray.... "Dear lord, please make sure Sony patented this controller so no one else would make it..." Amen.

This is a really interesting concept. I like the tactile feedback that a normal controller gives me. This would be a good thing for media playback control. I am assuming however that it will be supported only by sony as MS is not going to want to lose peripheral sales as would be the case with nintendo etc. I wonder if it will be motion sensitive etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xUb3rn00dlEx View Post
    This is interesting news indeed. I agree with livpool about the LCD touch controller, because it would feel kind of awkward (at first with no physical buttons) However what interests me the most is what the other companies (namely MS) think of this and their reaction. I can't imagine MS allowing any of this to occur due to the amount of profit that they could possibly lose, as stated above by a friend just bringing his own. Very interesting though.
    m$ would be doubly pissed if you didn't have to buy a separate charging/battery kit. lol! and unless m$ uses some kind of proprietary wireless protocol for their controllers, then there is nothing they could do legally against sony for releasing such a device to control the m$ console.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News