Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony Files Interactive Content In-Game Advertising Scheme Patent

Sponsored Links
    Today [Register or Login to view links] has uncovered details on an interactive content [Register or Login to view links] that Sony has filed for an in-game advertising scheme presumably for PlayStation Network.

To quote from GamePlox.com (linked above): "Like That Free PSN? Better Get Used to Advertisements - Recently discovered on Google Patents, a patent that Sony Computer Entertainment America filed on November 10, 2011 shows that they plan to interrupt game play to bring advertisements.

The premise is like this: you’ll be enjoying your game, and then it will start to gradually slow down, until an advertisement pops-up on your screen telling you about some great offers, and then your game will resume."

Is PlayStation Network Plus the wave of the future, or should PSN remain free but plagued with in-game advertisements? Feel free to share your opinions on this topic below!

Sony Files Interactive Content In-Game Advertising Scheme Patent

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If I was going to play for an online service, I'll pay for one thats works perfectly like Xbox live. I do hope adds never pop up while we're playing any games though.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Xbox Live isn't perfect either. If Sony comes out with this crap in full priced games, I'll switch back to PC gaming.

It does sound like this type of advertising could appear in their cloud gaming though. Imagine paying less per game (or even not at all) but having to live with advertisements. Some might be willing to buck up and pay to get rid of the ads while others would rather deal with it and save money.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    IM GLAD, AND WILL STICK WITH MY PLUS SUBSCRIPTION.. i think its a good idea though to have the option of free add play or pay for what is now i guess. thats if the gotta change it.. lol

i guess with sony losing $5b last fin year and $3b of that on gaming somethings will have to change. hope not though...

Just because something is patented does not mean it will be implemented. In fact many things are patented and then never put in. I bet Sony owns several dozen to hundreds.

Bad idea to put advertisement during gameplay on free psn, the free online gameplay has always been the strength of the ps3 compared to xbox, do not throw this, Sony!

There is already enough advertisement during the other apps like Vidzone, do not ruin games, please!

So... Not only on the store but during gameplay? I really don't know if i should cry or laugh

Sony there're no words to describe you without get banned from here!
    Instead make your console better you seats find new ways to put people away!

I'll ever give you another euro!

Last time they bring adult thing to us and now advertisement? if they're losing cash in this division why they don't just optimize in other... Heyyyyy i don't wanna best brand soda advertisement, Geezz i think i need adblock plug in... It's a game not local tv

lol?! this is very common in japan where in-game advertisement on most online games. like you get a limited item if you buy one of the advertised products.

Reading through the patent and it sounds as though it will only occur in online multiplayer games and will happen to all players simultaneously.

Just imagine playing COD or BF, lining up a target to frag then a warning or count down flashes up and gameplay begins to slow down, an advert is shown to everyone for a few seconds (maybe minutes, the patent doesn't indicate a minimum timeframe actually!) and then gameplay resumes as normal.

Would definitely frustrate me - frustrates me when there is a host migration, and that's there to improve the gameplay lol!

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News