Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony to Expand PSN with Video Content and PS1 / PS2 Classics

Sponsored Links
    According to Senior Director Susan Panico, Sony plans to introduce The Tester on PlayStation Network this month while VP Peter Dille has also hinted to [Register or Login to view links] that more PS1 and PS2 classics are destined for PSN.

The Tester joins other original programming, such as PULSE and Qore, as the company looks to continue expanding its video content on the service.

To quote: "We've had a very different strategic approach by having our service offered for free," Panico said. "Offering a premium service someday that might make sense, but right now it's important to deliver a great array of digital content for free to help broaden PlayStation Network's access."

Dille stated, to quote: "From our side, we're going through our own studio organization and trying to make sure all these old games are out there so that we can lead by example, but we're also communicating with all the third-parties about the success of the Final Fantasy games, and other PS1 and PS2 classics.

By all means, I think people can look for more of that because once the third-parties see how this works, it's just found money. There's not a whole lot of work that has to go into it and once we can get it up on the network, it finds an audience pretty quickly."

Sony to Expand PSN with Video Content and PS1 / PS2 Classics

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This will certainly be welcome especially in the regions that have been ignored by the video store that operates exclusively in Europe and recently extended to the Aussies. I am also hoping Thorne a Japanese version of PS3 accessory TV tuner will not be an eternal wait like PlayTv. Then we can happily move on without PlayTV as well.

Sponsored Links

PS2 emulator?

Sponsored Links
    Soooooo, the rumor has been true about the PS2 emulator in the firmware. I'm really curious about it's capabilities. Finally the 2-usb models can join in the PS2 compatibility list. But will it support the original discs?

Am I alone in thinking that there isn't a big market for PS1/2 games and that is why backwards compatability was dropped. No one in my friends list is ever playing these old classics.

It's intresting to note that he does mention the premium pay service, I'm glad to see that this feature to supply old games will not be included.

There has been rumours about having ps2 emu via a firmware for ages now, there was a patent found last year which implied that the cell would be used for backward compatibility, and then dev's found a ps2 folder (similar to the psp folder) within the firmware.

All this suggests is that sony are biding their time as to when they are going to release a ps2 emu for all versions of the ps3. It could be they think 2010 is the last year in the ps2's life cycle, it could be to get more third parties on board and get a massive library ready for launch of the emu, it could be part of the premium service when (not "if", it will happen) thats released
    Or it could be any mixture of these reasons

We wont know for definite until the end of the year...

ps2 emulator

I second the intense curiosity when they (sony) will give us what I think should have originally came with my 40 gig ps3, The ability to play ps2 games. I from the start felt they would not hand out that capability until they stopped the sales of actual ps2's. I have read in the past market research affected there decision in not pursuing backwards compatibility.

That just means that if you want to play ps3 games you will buy a ps3. Remember sony is in the business of making money. So as long as they offer the ability to play ps2 games (current slim ps2) they will not give the ability on new ps3 unless they charge the additional 100 dallors. as much as a brand new ps2.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    There has been rumours about having ps2 emu via a firmware for ages now...

All this suggests is that sony are biding their time as to when they are going to release a ps2 emu for all versions of the ps3...

... it could be part of the premium service when (not "if", it will happen) thats released...

... Or it could be any mixture of these reasons
    Yep, I definitely agree with you, you're so right. But on the other hand, I don't see any good reason for having a PS2 emulator in a PS3, just make no sense to me, that is 'cause the same question always comes to my mind when I read anything about the issue:

How much does it cost to play a PS2 game on a PS3 VS playing a PS2 game on a PS2? ... Totally not worth it

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFMA View Post
    Yep, I definitely agree with you, you're so right. But on the other hand, I don't see any good reason for having a PS2 emulator in a PS3, just make no sense to me, that is 'cause the same question always comes to my mind when I read anything about the issue:

How much does it cost to play a PS2 game on a PS3 VS playing a PS2 game on a PS2? ... Totally not worth it
    however, most people that are looking for ps2 b/c on the ps3 already own a ps3. therefore it wouldn't cost them anymore than the price of the game if they don't already own it. i know some people who traded in their ps2 to help them afford a ps3, so they would have to save up more money just to buy an "outdated" console.

to take the debate a step further, do you think they should take out the ps1 b/c also? how much does it cost to play a ps1 game on a ps3 vs playing a ps1 game on a ps1? ... totally not worth it? or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by inginear View Post
    however, most people that are looking for ps2 b/c on the ps3 already own a ps3. therefore it wouldn't cost them anymore
    I'm not thinking on that kind of costs, I mean, I'm not saying that it will cost more because you have to buy a NEW PS2 in order to play its games. What I'm trying to say is that it is more expensive to play PS2 games on a PS3 because of the usage: You'll see, let's say that you use thy PS3 to play PS2 games most of the time (just making my point, this might not be the case) and suddenly it breaks ... wouldn't it be better to replace a PS2 than a PS3? 'cause I really think so. Beside, why wasting PS3's "Lifetime" when you can use the one that a PS2 can give.
    Quote Originally Posted by inginear View Post
    do you think they should take out the ps1 b/c also? how much does it cost to play a ps1 game on a ps3 vs playing a ps1 game on a ps1? ... totally not worth it? or is it?
    It's doesn't worth it, at least not for me, 'cause if I wanna play those games I only use my PS (The fat one ) and I just start playing ... giving, once again, my PS3 a little bit more of lifetime by using it what it was meant for : BlueRays!

But I guess that in the end, everyone can use their stuff the way it's more convenient for them ... just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFMA View Post
    I'm not thinking on that kind of costs, I mean, I'm not saying that it will cost more because you have to buy a NEW PS2 in order to play its games. What I'm trying to say is that it is more expensive to play PS2 games on a PS3 because of the usage: You'll see, let's say that you use thy PS3 to play PS2 games most of the time (just making my point, this might not be the case) and suddenly it breaks ... wouldn't it be better to replace a PS2 than a PS3? 'cause I really think so. Beside, why wasting PS3's "Lifetime" when you can use the one that a PS2 can give.

It's doesn't worth it, at least not for me, 'cause if I wanna play those games I only use my PS (The fat one ) and I just start playing ... giving, once again, my PS3 a little bit more of lifetime by using it what it was meant for : BlueRays!

But I guess that in the end, everyone can use their stuff the way it's more convenient for them ... just my two cents.
    The way I see it and it may be because I'm in my productive cycle of life is if my ps3 breaks I go buy a new one. Its cheaper to replace a ps3 than to replace a huge collection of games, and even if you play a ps2 game on your ps3 as long as you are enjoying your machine to the fullest thats great. I wouldnt want to go buy a ps2 to play some games because now I have to have more consoles hooked up, besides its outdated.

The ps3 is cheap for the life it can give you as you call it, but your collection is more expensive and some of the games are hard to find. Another thing is the ps1 games that are bought off the psn store dont use the bluray drive so maybe the life of the console is wasting but not the Bluray drive. I my opinion its totally worth it having your reliable machine play whatever you throw in and knowing that if it breaks buying a new one will put a smile on your face.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News